Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pigs are as intelligent as chimpanzees

UM-Bot

Scientists believe that pigs are on the same intellectual level as mankind's closest living relatives.

Despite being viewed as nothing more than a meat source most of the time, pigs are now believed to be one of the most intelligent animals on the planet.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/282510/pigs-are-as-intelligent-as-chimpanzees

• Like 2

Oh my, I was going to have bacon, this morning. I think in the end we are going to find a lot of animals are smarter than we think they are.

• Like 5

Anyone who's been around hogs knows the little dickens are very clever, have their own personalities and can be very affectionate if given the chance - they can also be mean, vindictive and destructive...

Pretty much like people... The main thing that seperates them from the apes is a lack of hands...

• Like 9

I think in the end we are going to find a lot of animals are smarter than we think they are.

I think you're right -

• Like 1

I want to feel bad....but damn they're so delicious! bacon...ham...pork chops...ribs..pulled pork...pork rinds...pork belly...tenderloin... oh my Im hungry!

I bet yall are over it now ;) mmmmm....piggies!

• Like 1

Anyone who's been around hogs knows the little dickens are very clever, have their own personalities and can be very affectionate if given the chance - they can also be mean, vindictive and destructive...

Pretty much like people... The main thing that seperates them from the apes is a lack of hands...

Years ago a teacher of mine compared man's relationships with pigs and dogs from the prospective of the dog. The moral being about trust when the dog sees the pig getting killed.

That being said, whole roasted pig and monkey jokes seem far less appropriate; but, I am the man I am, so whole roasted pig and monkey are made all that more delicious knowing that I am luxuriating in my dominion of nature. Well, that and rosemary, thyme, sage, 6 pepper mix and honeyed olive mix applied before roasting. But, mostly the the dominion thing.

• Like 2

Sounds like Hog-Wash to me...

• Like 1

I love pigs! There awesome pets!!

And taste delicious.. Not that we eat our pets.. Mwa ha ha ha)

I think their intelligence bastes their meat, making them all the more delicious.

• Like 4

We all know that!!! Haven't you seen Babe

I will never stop eating pork, or any kind of meat - it's the methods we use to get it that I have a problem with. Is factory farming just a symptom of overpopulation? Or is it the natural byproduct of the market demanding lower and lower prices?

I think their intelligence bastes their meat, making them all the more delicious.

lol

That is why the speech center of a dolphin's brain is so delicious.

• Like 3

That is why the speech center of a dolphin's brain is so delicious.

Gives me the squeaks...

• Like 1

Dang!

That kind of messes up the world of bacon, ham, and sausage.

But they are soooo delicious!

We eat whales, dolphins, dogs, cats, squirrels, and octopi ... they are all in the top 10 most intelligent non-human animals. Not sure if we eat elephants, parrots, or chimps (rounding out our top 10) but I bet somebody has!

Edited by BeastieRunner

Alway's knew pigs are very smart. We used to raise them. They learn very fast, knew when it was feeding time and would wait until I got there. If I was more then 10 minutes late they would start fussing. Always wondered if one had a clock hidden some where. :yes:

• Like 3

All the more reason to work on growing meat in the lab. I hope one day we can grow sides of pork and hunks of beef from cells in a lab with no animals harmed. In the meantime, at least treat the pigs right before the slaughter day comes.

• Like 1

well, it is kind of a weird feeling to know that you are eating something more intelligent than some of your own species....