Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Starting to believe in the paranormal

Pallister

Hi all. I am new to the site, but not that new to the paranormal. For nearly all of my teenage life strange things have occurred, which I have never been able to explain. Yet I never believed them to be anything of a paranormal nature. For the past two years doors have opened and closed themselves, lights turn on and off, I even hear my front door opening when it is locked. Now all these things happen when you are not present in the rooms concerned. For example if I am walking to the kitchen from my bedroom on a night I will sometimes notice the dining room light on, even when I haven't entered the room that day. Yet it never happens when you are in the room, well at least it never use to.

So for a couple of years this became fairly normal for me, and even for my friends who'd witnessed these odd things taking place when over. Yet things have started to slowly but surely get more weird. Starting with my bedroom light-bulb literally exploding, leading me to go down stairs to get a new one, to find on my way back up all the doors in the house wide open, with the exception of my front door and my bedroom door (even though my bedroom door was the only one open originally). Two weeks after that had taken place I began to hear breathing one night when I was getting into bed. It was around 4am and I had flicked the TV on to catch up on the news, when I heard this slow and heavy breathing. I muted the TV and sat listening in disbelief at the fact that I could clearly hear someone breathing in the attic above my room. I crept out of my room and got my brother, who could also hear it. We both concluded that the sound was coming from the attic, directly above my bed. The next day I had my dad check it out, under the guise that I heard a bird up there. He looked and found nothing, it was empty. I continued to hear the breathing, sometimes night after night for days, sometimes I wouldn't hear it for weeks.

With all this happening I decided to ask about for some answers. Two days ago I went to talkparanormal.com, in the hope that I would get answers. I found one helpful reply which calmed me down, as the user said they had similar things going on for 35yrs in their home, but nothing sinister has taken place. I thought too I must have the same scenario occurring, just some entity/spirit or whatever chilling out in my house, doing no harm (as whatever it is has always been fairly passive, I'd never seen it and never have I been attacked or anything serious). Yet last night I woke up at 3:55am. I don't know why I did, I couldn't hear anything, the house had been fine all night, no breathing, no lights going on and off, no doors playing up. I then heard my mothers bedroom door open (which is to the left of my bedroom door). Home alone I was confused. Then the landing light turned on. I slowly sat up and looking at the bottom of the door saw two shadows, as if someone was standing right against my door on the landing. Then I heard the toilet door (to the right of my door) open, but the shadow stayed there. One tap turned on, then the toilet flushed, then the second tap turned on. Then they stopped, and the landing light went out. I sat for about 5 minutes before getting out of bed. I opened my door and turned the landing light on, all the doors were closed. I'd heard the taps turn off, and the light, but not the doors closed. Going back into my room I saw my PC turned on, with one tab open, it was my post on talkparanormal.com. I turned everything off and went straight back to bed. Nothing else has happened, and nothing such as what took place last night has ever happened before, I've never seen shadows. Have I p***ed off whatever it is by trying to find information on the internet and forums?

• Like 1

Maybe something just isn't right with your electricity?

Funny guy, ha ha...

Funny guy, ha ha...

Nah', I was actually serious since a friend of mine had the same problem and it turned out that there was a rat in the electricity-system.

• Like 1

Home alone I was confused. Then the landing light turned on. I slowly sat up and looking at the bottom of the door saw two shadows, as if someone was standing right against my door on the landing. Then I heard the toilet door (to the right of my door) open, but the shadow stayed there. One tap turned on, then the toilet flushed, then the second tap turned on. Then they stopped, and the landing light went out. I sat for about 5 minutes before getting out of bed. I opened my door and turned the landing light on, all the doors were closed. I'd heard the taps turn off, and the light, but not the doors closed. Going back into my room I saw my PC turned on, with one tab open, it was my post on talkparanormal.com. I turned everything off and went straight back to bed. Nothing else has happened, and nothing such as what took place last night has ever happened before, I've never seen shadows. Have I p***ed off whatever it is by trying to find information on the internet and forums?

sounds like you have someone living in your roof.

invest in a bat.

Edited by TWO OF HEARTS

Nah', I was actually serious since a friend of mine had the same problem and it turned out that there was a rat in the electricity-system.

Okay, well I apologise for thinking you were being a smart-ass. At first I did initially think our electricity was knackered, so I mentioned it to my dad (he's an electrician), everything was in order. It was the fact that the actual light switches were flipped which made me think something was up. That combined with the other things has finally pushed me in the paranormal direction. I've tried every rational explanation, yet can't.

• Like 2

Home alone I was confused. Then the landing light turned on. I slowly sat up and looking at the bottom of the door saw two shadows, as if someone was standing right against my door on the landing. Then I heard the toilet door (to the right of my door) open, but the shadow stayed there. One tap turned on, then the toilet flushed, then the second tap turned on. Then they stopped, and the landing light went out. I sat for about 5 minutes before getting out of bed. I opened my door and turned the landing light on, all the doors were closed. I'd heard the taps turn off, and the light, but not the doors closed. Going back into my room I saw my PC turned on, with one tab open, it was my post on talkparanormal.com. I turned everything off and went straight back to bed. Nothing else has happened, and nothing such as what took place last night has ever happened before, I've never seen shadows. Have I p***ed off whatever it is by trying to find information on the internet and forums?

sounds like you have someone living in your roof.

Yeah I even thought so myself once. But our attic door is in my room, it has no ladder, so whoever it was would of had to open it, jump down into my room, open the door, then go into my mother's room without me hearing it. He would then walk out and proceed to turn on the taps and lights, and flush the chain, whilst maintaining a shadow at my door. Also my attic is well insulated and sealed, so I'd struggle to think how anyone could get in, especially considering they need a ladder to get up there from inside my room. Plus my dad always goes up there for storage reasons, and never once has seen anyone. I think that'd be more scary than having a ghost lol

• Like 1

Wow that sounds very spooky! I believe in a paranormal. Do you think it could be ghosts ?

Yeah I even thought so myself once. But our attic door is in my room, it has no ladder, so whoever it was would of had to open it, jump down into my room, open the door, then go into my mother's room without me hearing it. He would then walk out and proceed to turn on the taps and lights, and flush the chain, whilst maintaining a shadow at my door. Also my attic is well insulated and sealed, so I'd struggle to think how anyone could get in, especially considering they need a ladder to get up there from inside my room. Plus my dad always goes up there for storage reasons, and never once has seen anyone. I think that'd be more scary than having a ghost lol

oh well it was worth a try of saying that.... a family in germany got murdered from someone living in there roof they taught their place was haunted too..

well not too sure what to say that must have been scary at least it didn't come stand over you.

Edited by TWO OF HEARTS
  • Like 1

Wow that sounds very spooky! I believe in a paranormal. Do you think it could be ghosts ?

Well I'm still rather unsure about ghosts, but I don't know what else could be doing it. My brothers and friends have experienced the doors and lights playing up. At least whatever it is, it isn't breaking stuff left right and centre, or trying to cause anyone harm.

• Like 1

oh well it was worth a try of saying that.... a family in germany got murdered from someone living in there roof they taught their place was haunted too..

well not too sure what to say that must have been scary at least it didn't come stand over you.

Thanks for mentioning it anyway. I heard that story about the German family, murdered in the 1920s during winter or something? And yeah, I think I'd of cried if it stood over me lol

• Like 1

Whatever it was, At least it flushed the toilet after use.

There's always a silver lining haha

• Like 2

I believe in the paranormal but not everything is paranormal.

Why do you mention that other forum twice, is this spam?

Do you live in a terraced house? I do and sometimes when I'm in the house on my own sounds from next door sound very loud,Recently my neighbour moved out so there's no furniture in the house so if a workman or someone crashing over for the night flushes the loo I can hear it too, A few times I've thought there was somebody running up my stairs when actually it was next door, I'm in a mid terraced house so I get it from both sides, And sometimes I see shadows in the house because my kitchen door is made of glass so if the outside light at the back of the houses go off, I can get all sorts of weird shadows in the kitchen and up the stairs.

Edited by Cat_From_Hell
  • Like 1

I believe in the paranormal but not everything is paranormal.

Why do you mention that other forum twice, is this spam?

Yeah I understand not everything is paranormal, but when things like that are taking place there are clearly no logical explanations, so I turned to the paranormal to seek any viable answers. And no it is not spam, it was mentioned twice because it was relevant, I don't care for wasting my time with spam.

• Like 2

Do you live in a terraced house? I do and sometimes when I'm in the house on my own sounds from next door sound very loud,Recently my neighbour moved out so there's no furniture in the house so if a workman or someone crashing over for the night flushes the loo I can hear it too, A few times I've thought there was somebody running up my stairs when actually it was next door, I'm in a mid terraced house so I get it from both sides, And sometimes I see shadows in the house because my kitchen door is made of glass so if the outside light at the back of the houses go off, I can get all sorts of weird shadows in the kitchen and up the stairs.

I live in a semi-detached. I frequently hear my neighbors doors closing and their TVs (only if really loud), but it is always faint and it's easy to distinguish from sounds in my house. I know it sounds like I'm some mad crank making a lot out of nothing, but I seriously have looked at all realistic explanations and can't find any. If it were just one or two odd things I'd accept it as just odd, but multiple things, no it seems to be more than that to me.

• Like 1

This is a very intriguing story. Keep us posted if future experiences occur.

• Like 1

Welcome to UM.

Would you be willing to set up audio/video recording equipment?

Then it will either stop, or you will find some mundane explanation.

• Like 2

This is a very intriguing story. Keep us posted if future experiences occur.

I will do.

• Like 1

Welcome to UM.

Would you be willing to set up audio/video recording equipment?

Then it will either stop, or you will find some mundane explanation.

Thanks for the message. I've set up a couple of cameras once before, one on the landing and one in the kitchen. Both rooms they were in were never affected by anything whilst the cameras were there, though it still caught the lights going on and off in the adjacent rooms, though the doors didn't move whilst the cameras were in place.

• Like 1

though it still caught the lights going on and off in the adjacent rooms, though the doors didn't move whilst the cameras were in place.

Can you upload this footage?

Youtube will take up to 128GB, or 11 hours of video.

• Like 1

Can you upload this footage?

Youtube will take up to 128GB, or 11 hours of video.

I'll go and try to dig up the cameras. You won't see anything special really, just lights turning on in the rooms next to the cameras, but most of the doors are closed so you can only see the light from under the door.

• Like 1

I'll go and try to dig up the cameras. You won't see anything special really, just lights turning on in the rooms next to the cameras, but most of the doors are closed so you can only see the light from under the door.

Recording equipment guarantees 100% cessation of paranormal activity. Set up enough cameras, and your "paranormal" situations will magically go away. Or, as someone has already said, you'll find a rational solution.

Well, I always would look at both sides of the coin here. Mostly so when I live in such a home, and I kind of don't want it be a bother. When there are times unexplainable occurs, I first try to see if there is a non paranormal reason for it. Even then, I kind of let it slide as it maybe not paranormal. Although I do get some form of chills, and something they are excitable chills at the though about this. But, I first still try to think of what would normally cause things to happen.

If there have been a consistent amount of this type of things happening, I wonder if reasoning with it. I'm serious. I have found by talking to it, and just asking what it wants or just telling it stop might be something to do. Of course, do this when you are alone at the time. ;)

The military housing we lived in was like this. And sometimes strange bumps and such I could reason as somebody else doing something two houses down where the sound carried. Well, those damn walls were thin and the flooring was................. forget about it. :rolleyes: