Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

One step closer to Mars.

White Crane Feather

I don't think I could if I were isolated by myself. If I were alone when I emerged I would probably be a bit crazy. With a group that would be a different story, I think I could. Well as long as we could get along and had things to do.

I don't think I could if I were isolated by myself. If I were alone when I emerged I would probably be a bit crazy. With a group that would be a different story, I think I could. Well as long as we could get along and had things to do.

I'm exactly the oposite. People would drive me nuts. I'd be just fine on my own.

• Like 1

Astronaughts.emerge from 8 months of isolation. Could you do it. I don't think I could.

http://www.washingto...ped-up-on-mars/

ESA/ROSKOSMOS conducted a similar experiment (Mars-500) that lasted for 520 days. I dont think that I would

even be able to be just 2 weeks in such a small containment. Horror.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MARS-500

I dont think that I would even be able to be just 2 weeks in such a small containment. Horror.

I have no idea how I would cope.

This sort of confinement has been part of human exploration since as long as there have been ocean going ships. The fact that people are busy almost all the time must help take your mind off of the claustrophobic issues.

It's not just astronauts that have to deal with such confinement for long periods, think of the crew of nuclear submarines, scientists on Antarctica, oil rig workers, etc. It's not for everyone but there are plenty of people dealing with similar every day.

• Like 2

It's not just astronauts that have to deal with such confinement for long periods, think of the crew of nuclear submarines, scientists on

Antarctica, oil rig workers, etc. It's not for everyone but there are plenty of people dealing with similar every day.

I think I would be able to manage to be in a submarine/at the Antarctica/on an oil rig as there is the option to go outside these but

strange to say I think I would not have a problem to spend a week on the ISS even I`m not able to sit in the back of a 2 door car

as that makes me some kind of panic.

I think I would be able to manage to be in a submarine/at the Antarctica/on an oil rig as there is the option to go outside

I suspect that the rest of the crew of a submerged submarine won't thank you if you open a hatch to try and go outside.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

All a waste of time.... If they really wanted to go anywhere they would be construction a HUGE ship in space docked off the ISS. Spend 10 years sending up small compartments of the ship and then attach them in space... after a while you have a huge ship docked hopefully with some form of artificial gravity, complete with recreation rooms, bedrooms, real bathrooms, kitchens, gardens, etc.... Then when you have all that in place you send a crew up and take off from space. You can have tons of people, tons of items to occupy oneself with and it would be a piece of cake....

In that length of time there could very well be conflicts between individuals if they are not kept busy. Even then it would not be easy but it works on the space station. As for doing it alone I believe I could do it with no problem what so ever although when I came out I would probably talk everyone around me to death.

All a waste of time.... If they really wanted to go anywhere they would be construction a HUGE ship in space docked off the ISS.

Spend 10 years sending up small compartments of the ship and then attach them in space... after a while you have a huge ship

docked hopefully with some form of artificial gravity, complete with recreation rooms, bedrooms, real bathrooms, kitchens, gardens,

etc.... Then when you have all that in place you send a crew up and take off from space. You can have tons of people, tons of items

to occupy oneself with and it would be a piece of cake....

Do you know the meaning of the word "budgets"? No, you dont.

Do you know the meaning of the word "budgets"? No, you dont.

Nor does he have a grasp of the complexities of the things he believes NASA should be doing, for example gardens. Great, except that years of research and experiment have only just brought us to the point where a very limited number of plants can be grown in very small quantities.

It must be nice living in a world where all you have to do is say something and it happens. Sadly that isn't the real world most of us live in.

• Like 1

Nor does he have a grasp of the complexities of the things he believes NASA should be doing, for example gardens. Great, except

that years of research and experiment have only just brought us to the point where a very limited number of plants can be grown in

very small quantities.

Exactly. I was involved (third row) into ESAs WAICO experiment and it could fill a book just how about the whole

setup of the experiment was developed, to design/build/test the plants chamber including the chambers internal environmental control devices, to get this container with a handfull of seeds/plants into orbit, handle it there, grow them up there and to bring them back in conditions that they can be analyzed well. And not to forget to mention,

it took some hundreds of ppl and a big pile of money.

It must be nice living in a world where all you have to do is say

something and it happens. Sadly that isn't the real world most of us live in.

I feel very well to be in the real world and I have to say, without any arrogance, I feel privileged. But on the other hand, it is sad that even

in the times of the internet, where any kind of education/knowledge is available for free and for nearly everyone, moronic ideas like

space gardens pop up and are just used for the aim to put a blame on space agencies and/or science in general.

Edited by toast