Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dead composers channel music through musician

Still Waters

In the 1970s, a British housewife earned fame as a composer and pianist with music she said was communicated to her by the spirits of dead, famous composers.

Some musical experts of the time were convinced this was true, as Rosemary Brown's compositions did seem to be of a caliber and style to be expected from these composers. Hungarian composer Franz Liszt (1811-1886) was her chief instructor, but she also purportedly received music from Ludwig van Beethoven, Fryderyk Chopin, Claude Debussy, J.S. Bach (whom she found intimidating), Franz Schubert, and more.

http://www.theepocht...ic-listen-here/

• Like 2

There's a video I think on Youtube of an interview with the pianist Artur Rubinstein. A loose transcription is, a friend asked him how did Chopin play? Rubinstein said of course he never heard Chopin play so he could only imagine something. He went to the piano and played a little piece of Chopin he never played in concert.

Rubinstein said it wasn't me who played, I wasn't playing the piano. I wouldn't have played it like that.

• Like 1

I wonder if there's a 'how to' guide on this.

• Like 1

There is a 'how to' guide on this. What you do is close your eyes and relax with some of Beethoven's music playing softly in the background and go into a deep meditative mind state and repeat over and over and over that YOU ARE BEETHOVEN, that the quantum computer that runs the Universe Hologram Program is downloading its "Beethoven database" directly into your wetware, giving you all of Beethoven's phenomenal talents, skills and abilities. Then bring yourself out of the trance state and grab an empty music score sheet and hold a pen over it and wait for your inner Beethoven to take over and guide your hand.

• Like 1

Reminds me of the story of Patience Worth!

Her wiki article casts a more skeptical eye on her claims. I am not a regular listener to classical music, though I do enjoy some orchestral music.

Even so I can distinguish different composers even if I don't know who they are.

If they sound the same, speaks more to a single artist than influence from the beyond. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemary_Brown_(spiritualist)

Her wiki article casts a more skeptical eye on her claims. I am not a regular listener to classical music, though I do enjoy some orchestral music.

Even so I can distinguish different composers even if I don't know who they are.

If they sound the same, speaks more to a single artist than influence from the beyond. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemary_Brown_(spiritualist)

Wiki articles are controlled by a group of skeptics that insist on throwing criticism in the wrong places to fit their views when it comes to things like this.

Kind of reminds me of this nutcase, a man who founded an equally nutty cult called "Unarius", claimed he was channeling all these people like Tesla and so forth. As if a spirit -pretending for the moment that they are real- have nothing better to do than to sit around talking to some guy who is a gazillion miles from the coast of reality.

My father fell for it hook, line and sinker but I seen it for the trash that it was.

Edited by Ryu

Wiki articles are controlled by a group of skeptics that insist on throwing criticism in the wrong places to fit their views when it comes to things like this.

Or, and just hear me out here the reason we don't have orchestras attributed to famous composers written just 20, 30 years ago is because they sound nothing like the composers she is supposed to be channeling.

Because they don't.

I wonder if there's a 'how to' guide on this.

Yeah I agree

I wouldn't mind channeling some Jimi Hendrix

Yeah I agree

I wouldn't mind channeling some Jimi Hendrix

I was thinking Dimebag Darrell. If we make it, we shall jam!

I was thinking Dimebag Darrell. If we make it, we shall jam!

Oh whoa thats actually way better idea and way more my style haha

Kind of reminds me of this nutcase, a man who founded an equally nutty cult called "Unarius", claimed he was channeling all these people like Tesla and so forth. As if a spirit -pretending for the moment that they are real- have nothing better to do than to sit around talking to some guy who is a gazillion miles from the coast of reality.

My father fell for it hook, line and sinker but I seen it for the trash that it was.

That's harsh, I'd hate to have to go through something like that. Did he eventually realize?

Either way, all these composers came before her, (I'm a musician interested in many periods but never heard of her) so the most likely things are; she practiced really hard + she maybe had some sort of savantism while also being a nut, it's uncommon but there are several hundred every generation at least. No ghost channeling, why wait until that particular decade, then somehow fail to get anyone's attention? You're Beethoven, ramp it up!!

Edit: But I'd love to hear her tracks.

Edited by FissionChip

here is her appearance on the Kreskin TV show, her segment starts at the 9 minute mark......

she made 2 LPs that I know of, both on the Philips label

here is her LP, A Musical Séance.......

BEST - Ron

That's harsh, I'd hate to have to go through something like that. Did he eventually realize?

Nope. From what I read, after he died, his wife took over and she was just as insane as he was. She would dress up like some weird fairy queen and ramble on and on about weird stuff.

My father had a few of the man's books and they were all just wonky and bizarre.

As for the supposed channeling of these classical musicians, even if it was true, the music would not sound the way it was written simply because the instruments did not have the features then as they do now. The mechanics and dampeners weren't there and thus the music couldn't be played at the speeds they are now.

Someone mentioned that this woman could be some sort of sevant which is far more probable than channeling imaginary spooks.

• 1 month later...

Oh well maybe she can do me a favour and channel Jimi Hendrix for me!