Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Belief or Non-Belief: Your mojo and you.

Stubbly_Dooright

Hi Stubbly :st , this is an interesting topic but I need to think about it a bit. I'll get back to you :yes:

• Like 3

*slinks to the same corner as Stubbly for comfort and company*

~deep thoughts~

• Like 2

Hi Stubbly :st , this is an interesting topic but I need to think about it a bit. I'll get back to you :yes:

Ok, cool. And I understand. Sometimes I feel that a good reflection puts it in even more ..................... easy point of view. (did I make sense?)

*slinks to the same corner as Stubbly for comfort and company*

~deep thoughts~

Here! Have a chocolate cognac. (if that exists, ((I'm making it exist :yes: )))

You know, this is great. I should have realized how one may have to reflect on this. ( In which, another reason I wanted to start this thread) that maybe I needed to learn how it's not always a quick answer. I understand, and I may have to have some deep reflecting on my own too. :yes:

In the meantime, Third Eye, I could always use the company here in this corner................. so welcome! :D:st

• Like 1

~snip

In the meantime, Third Eye, I could always use the company here in this corner................. so welcome! :D:st

I'll bring a blankie .... :yes:

I have to go beddie byes ... work bright and early tomorrow ~ nite nite ~

• Like 2

I'll bring a blankie .... :yes:

I have to go beddie byes ... work bright and early tomorrow ~ nite nite ~

Cool.................. again..............................

Sleep tight Sweetcheeks! :D

• Like 2

I really liked what you had to say, you are sweet. Everything is working out for you and you shouldn't change a thing :)

Im an agnostic, I guess. Everyday im surrounded by contradicting beliefs, people who disagree with one another. Athiests telling me im moronic, Christians telling me I will burn in hell, Buddhists telling me to relax. I hear a lot of different perspectives everyday, I heard capitalists talk about communists, communists talk about nazis. I hear Scientists talk about science and Catholics speak in tongues.

Yesterday, I thought about a memory that brought me a lot of happiness and wondered if I would ever experience something like it again... Later on in the evening I had experienced the very exact thing in the very exact way. This was incredibly enlightening and thought provoking, I was inspired.

And then I went to sleep...

This world, this life?.. Is very complicated, but maybe perhaps its just too simple for us. I believe in god and stuff, but I don't really have a faith.

I'm just trying to be happy. :cat:

Thats my mojo, im motivated by happiness :)

Edited by MeOnlyMe
  • Like 7

Our beliefs should all be the thing that "gets us through". When we make it too complicated I think we are just indulging a perverse need to beat up on ourselves. My take on my faith is that I am not going to understand from scripture everything our Creator wanted us to know but it will be revealed when we are ready for each challenge. The over-comer is the one who believes in a Creator that wants what is best for the Creation - EVERY member of it as well as the planet he made for us. I happen to believe that he is returning quite soon to set things straight and heal the wounds. I sleep peacefully in this belief and have no desire to see anyone suffer but I also realize that not everyone can all be correct at the same time when their beliefs are so divergent.

Great topic!

• Like 4

Well this should be an interesting thread! I'm curious as to what you mean by your religion being "New age" . New age religions can describe 100's of religions of modern origins.

As for me, well I dont know how to answer this question :P I was raised in a catholic home, but abandoned it as a religion when I was old enough to think for myself. I dont beleive in organized religion as I feel it fuels hate and war. I dont know what I believe in because I feel it's impossible to really know. The universe is a mysterious place and I dont think anyone will ever find a definite answer and Im ok with that.

You dont need religion to have a moral compas. There are bits and pieces from all religions that I can admire, but I could never find one that fits me. Besides my beliefs change often as I grow older and experience new things.

That's my vague non answer!! ;)

• Like 4

I am an Atheist; a sunset is no less grand, a babies smile no less dazzling, my personal contentment is not limited or thwarted, I love profoundly, and, I am surrounded by love. Wow, I am a mother too; for me, there is no greater joy or blessing. I live by the beach with year round spectacular weather; for me, it doesn't get any better then this, yet my path isn't for everyone, nor should it be. I have had my own spiritual experiences that have added to my journey; I am grateful to have an abundant life, I don't have to work, I choose to and I am fortuate to do work that is fulfilling and rewarding, and I enjoy the happiness that this all brings me and those I love.

I have the love of my life to share all this with, after 19 years we still make loving the other a priority, for me it is incredibly nice to be with someone who gives a shyt. With this being said, I will not ever make posts that suggest that somehow my path is better, or more of, because I do not undergird it with God. I chose this for myself after a lot of soul searching, and it suits me, just as another has chosen what works for them; I figure the path they are on works for them, end of story. The issues I would speak up on are when: anyone claims to be better then, be somehow more special, or know things that no other human does, or seeks to impose their path, on these I will call BS (in respect though), if a person was trying to impose( as my mom used to), I would say in my home we respect all paths and I extend the same courtesy to you and for you,

I really have enjoyed reading all the posts and thank you for starting such a positive thread. Love ya girl.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 4

I really liked what you had to say, you are sweet. Everything is working out for you and you shouldn't change a thing :)

Im an agnostic, I guess. Everyday im surrounded by contradicting beliefs, people who disagree with one another. Athiests telling me im moronic, Christians telling me I will burn in hell, Buddhists telling me to relax. I hear a lot of different perspectives everyday, I heard capitalists talk about communists, communists talk about nazis. I hear Scientists talk about science and Catholics speak in tongues.

Yesterday, I thought about a memory that brought me a lot of happiness and wondered if I would ever experience something like it again... Later on in the evening I had experienced the very exact thing in the very exact way. This was incredibly enlightening and thought provoking, I was inspired.

This world, this life?.. Is very complicated, but maybe perhaps its just too simple for us. I believe in god and stuff, but I don't really have a faith.

That's awesome!! :tu: I love reading this. ( and also, awwwww :blush: thanks) I'm glad you are putting it in such positive perspective. Sometimes I wonder, if our inner core, mind you, kicks in and helps us along. And I did say, that it's something I wonder myself. I find reading your post inspirational. :)

Our beliefs should all be the thing that "gets us through". When we make it too complicated I think we are just indulging a perverse need to beat up on ourselves. My take on my faith is that I am not going to understand from scripture everything our Creator wanted us to know but it will be revealed when we are ready for each challenge. The over-comer is the one who believes in a Creator that wants what is best for the Creation - EVERY member of it as well as the planet he made for us. I happen to believe that he is returning quite soon to set things straight and heal the wounds. I sleep peacefully in this belief and have no desire to see anyone suffer but I also realize that not everyone can all be correct at the same time when their beliefs are so divergent.

Great topic!

Thanks. I always get the feeling you feel true to your beliefs. And I say that as a positive thing. There is parts of my belief that mirrors yours, I think that not everything is laid out, and that some things are not understood, (more so for me) but yet in the end, it works out, if that makes sense. I'm learning with your post too And Then, thanks for commenting.

That's awesome!! :tu: I love reading this. I'm glad you are putting it in such positive perspective. Sometimes I wonder, if our inner core, mind you, kicks in and helps us along. And I did say, that it's something I wonder myself. I find reading your post inspirational. :)

Great topic!

Thanks. I always get the feeling you feel true to your beliefs. And I say that as a positive thing. There is parts of my belief that mirrors yours, I think that not everything is laid out, and that some things are not understood, (more so for me) but yet in the end, it works out, if that makes sense. I'm learning with your post too And Then, thanks for commenting.

Well this should be an interesting thread! I'm curious as to what you mean by your religion being "New age" . New age religions can describe 100's of religions of modern origins.

In a sense, from my perspective, I believe it is. I do feel a very modern way of looking at spiritual aspects of it. I tend to gravitate to the New Age section in bookstores, as opposed to the religion side which is usually right next to it. I feel I either 'experiment' or gravitate to the methods of vary New Age practices. It's just I don't depend too much on materialistic items for I feel it doesn't weigh me down. I would understand if this confuses anyone.
As for me, well I dont know how to answer this question :P I was raised in a catholic home, but abandoned it as a religion when I was old enough to think for myself. I dont beleive in organized religion as I feel it fuels hate and war. I dont know what I believe in because I feel it's impossible to really know. The universe is a mysterious place and I dont think anyone will ever find a definite answer and Im ok with that.
That could be your mojo. ;):D I often enjoy my belief, it's not organized. Though it can be debated about how would I know, since I wasn't raised in an organized religion.
You dont need religion to have a moral compas.

Totally agree. :tu:
There are bits and pieces from all religions that I can admire, but I could never find one that fits me. Besides my beliefs change often as I grow older and experience new things.

That's my vague non answer!! ;)

Oh, I don't see it as that vague. I like it. :yes: And I feel that I learn or drink in the varying aspects of religions and beliefs. I find it interesting. I just think though, with those who are comfortable to what they believe or don't believe, it's true to you when you are at peace. Edited by Stubbly_Dooright
  • Like 5

HELP! I can't edit my upper post. So, I took Sheri's post and placed in a new one.

I am am Athiest, a sunset is no less grand, a babies smile no less dazzling, my personal contentment is not limited or thwarted, I love profoundly and I am surrounded by love. Wow, I am a mother, for me there is no greater joy or blessing. I live by the beach with year round spectacular weather; for me, it doesn't get any better then this yet my path isn't for everyone, nor should it be. I have had my own spiritual experiences that have added to my journey; I am grateful to have an abundant life, I don't have to work, I choose to and I am fortuate to do work that is fulfilling and rewarding, and I enjoy the happiness that this all brings me and those I love. I have the love of my life to share all this with, after 19 years we still make loving the other a priority, for me it is incredibly nice to be with someone who gives a shyt. With this being said, I will not ever make posts that suggest that somehow my path is better, or more of because I do not undergird it with God. I chose this for myself after a lot of soul searching, and it suits me, just as another has chosen what works for them; I figure the path they are on works for them, end of story. The issue I would speak up on is when anyone claims to be better then, be somehow more special, or know things that no other human does, or seeks to impose their path, on that I will call BS only in respect though, if a person was trying to impose( as my mom used to) I would say in my home we respect all paths and I extend the same courtesy to you and for you,

I really have enjoyed reading all the posts and thank you for starting such a positive thread. Love ya girl.

Love you back Sweetie. :D And I was hoping to read your posts here too. This is a great post too. And I feel your point of view of a sunset no less grander and the same to what you experience in your life. I always feel a sense of peace and satisfaction with your posts as well.

I really don't think a satisfying belief or non-belief is such, when one considers themselves better than others. In fact, I don't think there is any peace within themselves if they feel that. I would think there would be a war brewing in one's soul or core if that is the case. I think one is not accepting the world and not learning from that if that is the case. I think Sheri, you are one of the many examples here, who is grounding in their look at life and Non-Belief who appreciates others for who they are and what they believe. You know, I learn a lot from all your posts. Thank you for contributing. :):wub:

• Like 1

My path into apatheism lead me into a nihilist mindset. While unpleasant at first has given way to greater interpersonal freedom. I live my life attempting to be the best I can be, do the best that I can, and just not worrying about the trivial things. Because my life will be the sum of what I make it.

• Like 5

Ok, I think it fixed itself. :unsure: *scratching the head* That was stressful.

• Like 1

My path into apatheism lead me into a nihilist mindset. While unpleasant at first has given way to greater interpersonal freedom. I live my life attempting to be the best I can be, do the best that I can, and just not worrying about the trivial things. Because my life will be the sum of what I make it.

I can understand that. :yes:

*afraid to add more for fear of the message board boogie man to strangle my posts.* :o:w00t:

• Like 1

We all seek a meaning to our lives, a purpose. The purpose I choose to make the meaning of my life is to simply exist. To not shackle myself to empty promises and false hopes. I am simply wrapped up in the mystery of existing. For a brief moment in time I am here with no knowledge of what will happen after I pass. So I find it best to enjoy myself before the lights go out eternally.

• Like 4

HELP! I can't edit my upper post. So, I took Sheri's post and placed in a new one.

Love you back Sweetie. :D And I was hoping to read your posts here too. This is a great post too. And I feel your point of view of a sunset no less grander and the same to what you experience in your life. I always feel a sense of peace and satisfaction with your posts as well.

I really don't think a satisfying belief or non-belief is such, when one considers themselves better than others. In fact, I don't think there is any peace within themselves if they feel that. I would think there would be a war brewing in one's soul or core if that is the case. I think one is not accepting the world and not learning from that if that is the case. I think Sheri, you are one of the many examples here, who is grounding in their look at life and Non-Belief who appreciates others for who they are and what they believe. You know, I learn a lot from all your posts. Thank you for contributing. :):wub:

Thank you for seeing me; for me, this is how it works in real time, it's not the path, it's the person on it that matters. And a label doesn't make someone less then or more than either, a content, happy, peaceful person will shine through.

I do not have one single Atheist friend, my friends are believer's, and I learn quite a bit from them, but we share our journeys, not impose them. I think a person speaks from the place they truly live, wisdom shines through on its own. Genuineness, has it's own ring tone, anyone can hear it.

There is a difference and it also shows when a person gets this regardless, of which path they walk.

Awesome thread!

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

We all seek a meaning to our lives, a purpose. The purpose I choose to make the meaning of my life is to simply exist. To not shackle myself to empty promises and false hopes. I am simply wrapped up in the mystery of existing. For a brief moment in time I am here with no knowledge of what will happen after I pass. So I find it best to enjoy myself before the lights go out eternally.

Beautifully said..

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

I see a similarity of this with me and my life. I feel that, I'm here, and I just want to be there for other, as much as I can. I think it's all about what you can do and being with others. (and this coming from an introvert! :D )

Thank you for seeing me; for me, this is how it works in real time, it's not the path, it's the person on it that matters. And a label doesn't make someone less then or more than either, a content, happy, peaceful person will shine through.

I do not have one single Atheist friend, my friends are believer's, and I learn quite a bit from them, but we share our journeys, not impose them. I think a person speaks from the place they truly live, wisdom shines through on its own. Genuineness, has it's own ring tone, anyone can hear it.

There is a difference and it also shows when a person gets this regardless, of which path they walk.

Awesome thread!

Exactly.

I am just reminded of the time, of with a Christian coworker, who before a certain time, kept preaching. It took one time for me to reach over and wag my fore finger and say, "Ok now, that's enough out of you" and she laughed. It was learning about each other after that. (I was shocked she reacted positively like that)

• Like 2

I am a tree hugging dirt worshiper. The Earth is our Mother from which we all sprang, the Sun is our Father who gives his energy to make the Earth fertile. The Universe is the creator, on to the Multiverse from which the Universe sprang and so on and so forth. I am the evolution of the Universe to reflect on itself. Nature is my holy book and comfort. I wouldn't say I actually worship the Earth or the Universe, but I pay honor to it. I don't expect anything from it, other than what I have been given.

As above, so below. All is one.

• Like 4

I see a similarity of this with me and my life. I feel that, I'm here, and I just want to be there for other, as much as I can. I think it's all about what you can do and being with others. (and this coming from an introvert! :D )

Exactly.

I am just reminded of the time, of with a Christian coworker, who before a certain time, kept preaching. It took one time for me to reach over and wag my fore finger and say, "Ok now, that's enough out of you" and she laughed. It was learning about each other after that. (I was shocked she reacted positively like that)

Exactly, one time a young Christian girls mother was telling her that she shouldn't be friends with non believers, I was standing there ( the mom had no idea I was not Christian) the girl said " Mom, that is ridiculous, my faith is not dependent on anyone but me, the path another walks should have no bearing on my choices." I thought at the time, what a great point, one of remarkable wisdom for a young girl. We do not need to be the same to connect, she gets this early.

Another time, a different family member( from above family) asked if they could pray for me, I said of course, she asked God (out loud)to bless my life with more kids to help academically, she told God in her prayer that I was a light to her niece and could help so many kids. I was so touched in my heart that she didn't pray for a conversion, instead she saw me. I was humbled in that moment, and reminded to also try and look through the the eyes of love as opposed to be limited by labels.

My best friend who is a Christian probably the best person I know, honest to goodness she has told a room full of Christians before that I was an Athiest and to be respectful of me in the conversation too.

I got a letter once from a Muslim that said even though her beliefs were so different then mine, ( I don't think she had ever met an Atheist before), that to her I was such a nice person that was all that mattered. I still have the letter.

It is nice to be able to share the good too.

• Like 5

Another time, a different family member( from above family) asked if they could pray for me, I said of course, she asked God (out loud)to bless my life with more kids to help academically, she told God in her prayer that I was a light to her niece and could help so many kids. I was so touched in my heart that she didn't pray for a conversion, instead she saw me. I was humbled in that moment, and reminded to also try and look through the the eyes of love as opposed to be limited by labels.

It is the thought that counts. That kind of meaningful compassion is great.

• Like 1

I am a tree hugging dirt worshiper. The Earth is our Mother from which we all sprang, the Sun is our Father who gives his energy to make the Earth fertile. The Universe is the creator, on to the Multiverse from which the Universe sprang and so on and so forth. I am the evolution of the Universe to reflect on itself. Nature is my holy book and comfort. I wouldn't say I actually worship the Earth or the Universe, but I pay honor to it. I don't expect anything from it, other than what I have been given.

As above, so below. All is one.

It sounds like you are complete. :) I often reflect on how what we look at, and how we treat it or shall I say, respect it. Thanks GreenmansGod. :yes:

Exactly, one time a young Christian girls mother was telling her that she shouldn't be friends with non believers, I was standing there ( the mom had no idea I was not Christian) the girl said " Mom, that is ridiculous, my faith is not dependent on anyone but me, the path another walks should have no bearing on my choices." I thought at the time, what a great point, one of remarkable wisdom for a young girl. We do not need to be the same to connect, she gets this early.

My best friend who is a Christian probably the best person I know, honest to goodness she has told a room full of Christians before that I was an Athiest and to be respectful of me in the conversation too.

I got a letter once from a Muslim that said even though her beliefs were so different then mine, ( I don't think she had ever met an Atheist before), that to her I was such a nice person that was all that mattered. I still have the letter.

It is nice to be able to share the good too.

You see, it's posts like these that describes experiences from people like these that makes me smile. And that young lady, I have a feeling she is going to one well rounded and happy lady, from the way I see it. Any hope that her mom listened? *shrugs*
  • Like 2

It sounds like you are complete. :) I often reflect on how what we look at, and how we treat it or shall I say, respect it. Thanks GreenmansGod. :yes:

You see, it's posts like these that describes experiences from people like these that makes me smile. And that young lady, I have a feeling she is going to one well rounded and happy lady, from the way I see it. Any hope that her mom listened? *shrugs*

I think she is blessed to have a daughter that speaks up.

• Like 2

I would explain my mojo like this, though maybe it's hard to explain.

There are times when I have to think and act purposefully, and there are times when I can allow whatever happens to happen, untouched. When I have to be purposeful it's not much different than when I let things happen as they will.

For instance, the other day the wind blew down a tree in my yard and took with it my electric service. I've had to spend about $150 so far buying some electric equipment and working hard in the hot sun replacing all that. My attitude has been, "that's what has happened, and those things are what I have to do."

This happened by itself, and in the same sense what I have to do is happening by itself. Events happen, and my reaction to them happens. Even my thinking and planning is just happening. So in this way I didn't become upset or worry. I didn't let this become a problem for me. Instead, all this has been an interesting experience.

Now, I will say there were moments when I did become discouraged, which is natural to do, but then I thought to regain my composure, and then I relaxed. I think composure is important. Someone asked a Buddhist monk, what is the meaning of Buddhism? The monk replied, "an appropriate response". I think an appropriate response is not to let events become problems for me and therefore to create problems for others.

This is a long way 'round to try to explain my mojo, in the OP's sense, I hope. I am not separate from my environment. What happens around me influences what I do and who I am in every moment, and I influence my environment. There's not really much difference between the two. Because I have a computer and am a member of UM I'm typing this. If a friend knocked on the door I'd be talking to him instead.

This is a sort of Zen mind. I suppose 'the will to power' is the opposite of this. I believe I've accomplished more in life by watching circumstances unfold and using my intelligence, talent and intuition to make the best of them in a way that is constructive for me and not intrusive to others. To take advantage of circumstances without strong-arm tactics, so to say. In this way I may achieve what I want to achieve much more easily and without much added effort.

I'm not sure this is answering the OP's question, though. :)

• Like 5