Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Nearly Half of Britons Unaware of Auschwitz

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 10:59 PM

LONDON (Reuters) - Nearly half of Britons in a poll said they had never heard of Auschwitz, the Nazi death camp in southern Poland that became a symbol of the Holocaust and the attempted genocide of the Jews.

The results of the survey conducted by the BBC were released on Thursday as Britain's public broadcaster announced it will show a new series next January to mark the 60th anniversary of the concentration camp's liberation.

"We were amazed by the results of our audience research," said Laurence Rees, a producer on the series, "Auschwitz: The Nazis & the 'Final Solution."'

"It's easy to presume that the horrors of Auschwitz are engrained in the nation's collective memory, but obviously this is not the case," Rees said.

Full Article

I bet that's true for about half the world.  rolleyes.gif

#2    Shadowsleet

Shadowsleet

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

• I don't care about breeding. A sword doesn't need a fine lineage, it just needs to be sharp.

Posted 02 December 2004 - 11:50 PM

Aren't you one of the people who thinks the BBC is full of crap? huh.gif

Anyway, I doubt that very much....half of all Britons my ass...who the hell did they ask? blink.gif The ned population? 4000 out of 60 million is hardly conclusive tongue.gif

This is like the 1998 survey that claimed 60% of Britains didn't know who Hitler was...which was equally ridiculous.

"In battle, no move your opponent makes is trivial."

#3    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 01:08 AM

Aren't you one of the people who thinks the BBC is full of crap?

Yep.

However people are generally ignorant of history, so it really would not suprise me if this is true.

#4    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 03 December 2004 - 01:13 AM

How could half of the people, in Britain no less, not know of the Auschwitz!!?

What does this say about the educational system? Is it that we are not teaching our children proper history?

I remember when i was in school in England, some 10-12 years ago, in Humanities class we were strictly not allowed to mention Nazis or Swastikas or anything like that. Can you believe it? I was appalled and i feel fortunate to learn later on my history.

I think there needs to be abit of a revision in the ciriculum if that many people don't know about something as significant as Auschwitz.

#5    Shadowsleet

Shadowsleet

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

• I don't care about breeding. A sword doesn't need a fine lineage, it just needs to be sharp.

Posted 03 December 2004 - 02:55 AM

The poll was supposedly only taken from people ages 16 to...um...can't be bothered clicking the link again. 35 I think it was...

I think it's BS though...unless half of the people they polled were neds or something. Certainly, I don't know anyone stupid enough not to know about Auschwitz. An example of a poll that didn't take a large enough sample I think...

"In battle, no move your opponent makes is trivial."

#6    Barnacle Battlefront

Barnacle Battlefront

Death Before Decaf

• 5,407 posts

• There's no place like 127.0.0.1

A symptom of the universe

Posted 03 December 2004 - 04:29 AM

i don't care how many people they asked, how could they not now of Auschwitz and the atrocities that occurred there?!?!?! huh.gif  huh.gif  huh.gif

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking. Racing around to come up behind you again. The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older. Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy as hell.- Maca02

#7    Lottie

Lottie

The Nappy Ninja !!

• 7,516 posts

• "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." - Noel Coward

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:17 AM

I agree with Shady. This is utter rot.
4000 out of 60 million surveyed between the age of 16 to 35 is nowhere near conclusive and yes they must have been Neds not to know this.
The BBC as usual are twisting the truth.

#8    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:42 AM

lot of crap there is absolutley no way that half of britons dont know about auswitch at all.

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#9    girty1600

girty1600

MRS. FALCO

• 6,654 posts

• "Just because I don't care...... doesn't mean I don't understand!"

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:45 AM

Perhaps they could plan a field trip to one of the camps. That way ages 16-35 could see it first hand like I did.

Once you see it, you won't ever forget.

Dear God, the whole experience was so disturbing.

I cried a lot the day I went to Dachau.

#10    Lottie

Lottie

The Nappy Ninja !!

• 7,516 posts

• "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." - Noel Coward

Posted 03 December 2004 - 03:09 PM

This whole article is crap and the person who wrote it an imbicile.

#11    twpdyp

twpdyp

GOP for Life

• 2,448 posts

• The first step in any self improvement program is to admit there is room for improvement.

Posted 03 December 2004 - 04:04 PM

Being American I am unfamilier with the reputation of the BBC. But I would find it very hard to believe that any semi educated individual on earth has never heard of Auschwitz, Hitler's final solution, or the Holocaust. Some idiots may live in denial of the events but they at least show a knowledge of the history.

As we go through this life reaching, striving, and straining for life's brass ring, has any of us ever stopped to wonder just who is running the Merry-Go-Round?
You must play the hand that life deals you, if you dealt the hand to yourself you must play that hand silently .

#12    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 03 December 2004 - 04:22 PM

the BBC is usually great (dont listen to erikl) however it seems to be falling into this trend of taking these meaningless straw polls of say for instace 4000 people and delibiratley targetting an group of people be it in this case young females or people who may look like they are from a poorer background in order to shock the public.

Its just a lot of bollocks.

I cant beleieve that even a quarter of the british publich dont know what happened in poland.

In scotland alone the cirriculum for primary school history ie: 5 year olds onwards focusses majorly on ww2 as it was the most defining chapter of the 20th century.

Again the poll is utter nonenesnse.

saorsa na h-alba

#13    zukie&jim

zukie&jim

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

• nothing PC about a sidwinder exploding in a hot tail pipe !

Posted 03 December 2004 - 04:32 PM

cat.gif  i hate polls

only idiots or morons seem to speak with pollsters !!! laugh.gif

#14    Barnacle Battlefront

Barnacle Battlefront

Death Before Decaf

• 5,407 posts

• There's no place like 127.0.0.1

A symptom of the universe

Posted 03 December 2004 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE(wunarmdscissor @ Dec 3 2004, 04:22 PM)
the BBC is usually great (dont listen to erikl)

View Post

cool.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  it is true tho  whistling2.gif cool.gif

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking. Racing around to come up behind you again. The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older. Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy as hell.- Maca02

#15    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 03 December 2004 - 04:43 PM

what erikl's paranoia or the fact that the BBC is actually a very good and professional broadcasting organisation.

saorsa na h-alba

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users