Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scream Research Could Lead to Scarier Alarms

Still Waters

The sound of a person screaming is so powerful that it instantly activates the brain's fear circuitry, new research documenting the "acoustic signature of screams" finds.

Different types of screaming - including wails from distressed babies - all have a property called roughness, which refers to how fast a sound's volume changes. Duplicating that quality, outlined in the latest issue of the journal Current Biology, could lead to everything from scarier films to new and improved alarm sounds.

http://news.discover...arms-150716.htm

Interesting, I am sure they could even make something scarier than a human scream with the right amount of funding!

It's the kids scream about 6yo to 8yo, they scream at anything, and all during playtime,

So that scream in the movie Gladiator (2000) in the scene @ 10:16, where the barbarian chief swings is axe

Edited by MissJatti

Haha, I cant imagine the stress of waking up every morning to a blood curdling scream!

Nothing is as shrill or fingernail-curling, as a 3,4 or 5 year old girls scream... A boys scream at that age is almost as bad, but a girls scream has that slightly higher pitch...

I have numerous great-nieces and nephews and when they run around and play, their screams make me want to climb the walls...

Edited by Taun

Ive always found the old air raid siren the worst sound imaginable!

• Like 1

Ive always found the old air raid siren the worst sound imaginable!

We have those for tornado sirens - scattered all about the city... Yeah they are pretty hard to not hear...

For panic alarms, and such like smoke/CO2 detectors, I can see that... or not.

What's wrong with the standard digital very loud "shrill" already in use? Why change that to a "scream"?

For an alarm clock, forget it. After a few nights I would think some mild form of PTSD would develop, making sleeping difficult as one anticipates, subconsciously, a horrific wake-up scream.

My favorite alarm clock gently wakes me up. First a series of low volume beeps, then it progressively get's louder.

For public PA emergencies, I think a scream voice could illicit undue panic.

Keep things as they are! No need to change what already works!