Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Juno spacecraft to reach Jupiter next year

UM-Bot

NASA's solar-powered Juno spacecraft will be arriving in orbit around Jupiter in around 12 months' time.

Launched in 2011 as part of NASA's ongoing New Frontiers program, Juno will be attempting to map the gas giant's gravitational and magnetic fields while also taking the first ever close-up pictures of Jupiter's polar regions.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...piter-next-year

• Like 2

I wonder if the probe will get any info on any of the moons as well?

• Like 1

I wonder if the probe will get any info on any of the moons as well?

Juno will orbit Jupiter in a highly elliptical polar orbit, not the best for observing the moons. However the Moons are not being neglected. ESA will be launching a mission called JUpiter ICy moons Explorer (Juice) to examine them and NASA is investigating a mission to Europa.

• Like 2

Since Pluto is surprising us on a constant basis, what if Jupiter has a solid core? What would that mean?

• Like 1

Since Pluto is surprising us on a constant basis, what if Jupiter has a solid core? What would that mean?

It would mean that Jupiter is exactly as most astronomers expect it to be.

• Like 3

It would mean that Jupiter is exactly as most astronomers expect it to be.

Thanks, I see.

How about if it doesn't have a solid core? Would that turn some heads?

How about if it doesn't have a solid core? Would that turn some heads?

Yes, because given the pressures at the centre of Jupiter that would be impossible.

• Like 1

Yes, because given the pressures at the centre of Jupiter that would be impossible.

Really looking forward to this one, the core of Jupiter is truly fascinating, I have heard it might be a soup, or a rocky core 12-45 times earth's mass, but with the number of asteroids and comets hitting it, it seems "normal"if such a word applies, to have a solid mass at the centre. Way back when Shoemaker hit it, I wondered back then "where did Shoemaker go if there is no solid surface, did it disassemble?" Is Shoemaker Levy 9 now just gas?

Such an amazing planet to view and learn about. Juno will give us fascinating data no doubt. Gosh we are lucky to be alive at this point in time!!! What an exciting time to be alive! These pioneers are breaking some impressive ground!

• Like 1

I'm interested in seeing the great red spot up close before it entirely shrinks. With a closer view of Jupiter they'll probably learn some insightful things about the gasses that make it's visible area and how the belts interact with each other and more about alien weather.