Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Syria's Kurds are coordinating with Assad

kamran79

But as argued in this article this coordination should be put into its broader context and understood,

Since the United States began bombing the Islamic State (ISIS) terror group in Syria it has consistently denied coordinating strikes against them with the Syrian regime of Bashar al-Assad and invariably denounced him and called his rule illegitimate. The US has, however, coordinated operations with the Syrian Kurdish YPG (“Peoples Protection Units”) who in turn have recently began to undertake ad-hoc coordination with forces under Assad's command against ISIS. This should not dissuade the United States for continuing to give air support to the YPG in its endeavours to fight ISIS and keep that terror group from overrunning its territory in Northern Syria.

https://www.the-news...sh-coordination

I think the Kurds should get total support from the west .... and their own state, eventually somehow ... they have been persecuted by all the countries around them for a looong time ... and they are doing a lot against IS

ISIS%2Bkurdish-women%2BYPJ.101914.jpg

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/islamic-state-fears-us-more-than-men-say-kurdish-women-fighters/story-fnb64oi6-1227095260646

• Like 6

I think the Kurds should get total support from the west .... and their own state, eventually somehow ... they have been persecuted by all the countries around them for a looong time ... and they are doing a lot against IS

ISIS%2Bkurdish-women%2BYPJ.101914.jpg

http://www.theaustra...6-1227095260646

subscriber only article

Actually the Kurds are very smart in employing women fighters against the Islamic State head cutters... apparently being killed by a women in combat means no 72 virgins and milk and honey... More power to the Kurds.

• Like 9

Yes, but the Kurdish millitias are not enough to defeat ISIL in Syria. Nor is it really their intention either. They are mostly concerned with protecting their own lands yet I believe that with better support (much to Turkey's dismay) they could consolidate much of the North and seriously threaten ISIL's stronghold in Raqqa.

You would still need more reliable manpower to defeat the extremists in other parts of the country. From a pragmatic standpoint, I think that the Syrian Army and it's ally Hezbollah are that kind of forces. The ennemy of my ennemy is my friend. That old saying still ring true. At least the Kurds have some sense in them.

Edited by Phenix20
  • Like 2

Actually the Kurds are very smart in employing women fighters against the Islamic State head cutters... apparently being killed by a women in combat means no 72 virgins and milk and honey... More power to the Kurds.

True. It's interesting to know that the Syrian Army now employs women as well.

e2c2ea945904b2852bfa446dbbae45c4b1e184a3.jpg

Syrian Army Turns To Women On Damascus Front Lines:

Source: http://www.i24news.t...cus-front-lines

Edited by Phenix20
  • Like 3

Turkey bombed ISIS for the first time and the Kurds(PKK) today.

I think the Turks have taken the initiative by killing two birds with one stone so to speak. Something tells me that the Kurdish PKK is the main target while Islamic State is the propaganda one in order to sell it to the world.

• Like 4

I think the Turks have taken the initiative by killing two birds with one stone so to speak. Something tells me that the Kurdish PKK is the main target while Islamic State is the propaganda one in order to sell it to the world.

Considering the role Turkey has played in strengthening ISIS up til now I believe you are correct. I also imagine that if the US starts doing significant damage to ISIS from Turkish bases, they will be invited to leave quickly.
  • Like 2

Considering the role Turkey has played in strengthening ISIS up til now I believe you are correct. I also imagine that if the US starts doing significant damage to ISIS from Turkish bases, they will be invited to leave quickly.

Good point. I guess all the major players have their own agenda's and Turkey is no different. Still, like you pointed out, Turkey is a supporter of IS and they won't be selling out their IS allies without significant concessions from the West. Removing Assad and chaining Kurdish nationhood seems to be the price that has to be paid. I feel for the Kurds who seem to be unlucky in having strong and determined neighbours that will stop at anything to extinguish long overdue Kurdish national aspirations. Pity.

• Like 3

Good point. I guess all the major players have their own agenda's and Turkey is no different. Still, like you pointed out, Turkey is a supporter of IS and they won't be selling out their IS allies without significant concessions from the West. Removing Assad and chaining Kurdish nationhood seems to be the price that has to be paid. I feel for the Kurds who seem to be unlucky in having strong and determined neighbours that will stop at anything to extinguish long overdue Kurdish national aspirations. Pity.

I'm certainly no scholar of the politics of the region nor a military strategist but I said in about 2004 that we (the US) should make common cause with the Kurds and build significant infrastructure in the north of Iraq. They were the only group in the country that seemed to be if not friends, then at least not adversarial to us in that quagmire. Had we done it I suspect Turkey would have been royally pizzed but they did not help us anyway so why would it matter? Had we built them up with weaponry and training I suspect ISIS would never have gotten off the ground in such a spectacular way. They were growing slowly in Syria, it is true, but the explosion in their power and reach came with the fall of Mosul and the huge amount of $ and weapons that followed.
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Report From Hasakah: Kurdish Women & Syrian Army Fighting ISIS On The Frontline:

Oh wait, the Syrian Army are the bad guys! :rolleyes:

Edited by Phenix20
  • Like 2

I expect the PKK will soon acquire Russian surface to air missiles and Turkey will howl bloody murder.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to me Turkey has mostly been attacking the Kurds. Turkey may end up in a civil war from what I've been reading.

I think the Kurds deserve their own country. Even if its just a small one.

The Kurds may not only be using women as soldiers for mental combat against ISIS but out of necessity. They have lost a lot of men in this.

Soon besides the Iranians Assad will have Russia helping him.

Unless the activists in Iran convince them to stop which I doubt. They are even asking Iran to take refugees. Which any Syrians fleeing the war will have a easy time getting a visa at Irans border.

She added that the process of obtaining an Iranian visa had been fast-tracked for Syrian citizens who arrive at Iran's borders and that their visas could be renewed.

http://www.rferl.org/content/iran-syria-activists-urge-end-to-support-for-assad/27262622.html

• Like 4

Report From Hasakah: Kurdish Women & Syrian Army Fighting ISIS On The Frontline:

Oh wait, the Syrian Army are the bad guys! :rolleyes:

No "good" guys in this conflict. The Syrian Army was just as brutal at the outset, snipers killing protesters and torturing children they caught on the streets. No good guys on either side.
  • Like 1

No "good" guys in this conflict. The Syrian Army was just as brutal at the outset, snipers killing protesters and torturing children they caught on the streets. No good guys on either side.

Oh, I am not saying that Assad forces are all ''good'' guys. But if the Syrian Army can share a frontline with Kurdish women for a common goal, than I would definitly not place them in the same category as ISIS and other extremist groups in Syria. They are not the ennemy IMO. They could even be an ally in this fight.

Edited by Draco20
  • Like 1

Oh, I am not saying that Assad forces are all ''good'' guys. But if the Syrian Army can share a frontline with Kurdish women for a common goal, than I would definitly not place them in the same category as ISIS and other extremist groups in Syria. They are not the ennemy IMO. They could even be an ally in this fight.

Now that Russia has laid down their marker I'd expect the war to end relatively soon unless S.A. decides to go for broke. Russia will expand their base(s) in Syria and Assad will just be a puppet of Putin and the ayatollahs.
  • Like 2

The only viable way to re stabilize Syria is support of the Syrian government against ISIS at this point. I dont think anyone would disagree. Ofcourse, this is not an option.. given the fact a stable Syria takes a backseat to the real motives being maintained by our allies in the region. In this case Russia is trying to clean up the sh*tstorm we have actively (and consciously) helped create by providing effective military support. If Russia expands her sphere of influence by doing so, we have only ourselves to blame. Again.

• Like 3

The only viable way to re stabilize Syria is support of the Syrian government against ISIS at this point. I dont think anyone would disagree. Ofcourse, this is not an option.. given the fact a stable Syria takes a backseat to the real motives being maintained by our allies in the region. In this case Russia is trying to clean up the sh*tstorm we have actively (and consciously) helped create by providing effective military support. If Russia expands her sphere of influence by doing so, we have only ourselves to blame. Again.

Yeah I partially agree, but in reality at this point, they're just doing more or less what they were doing before the ****storm started, i.e, in the past by providing ex Soviet military equipment to the regime and now more modern Russian tanks, drones, aircraft etc. Support for Assad is essential to finish the conflict in Syria but I don't believe Putin's motives are to clean up the mess otherwise he would have rushed in years ago. IMO it's only a show of strength and divert attention away from the Ukraine.

• Like 1

Now that Russia has laid down their marker I'd expect the war to end relatively soon unless S.A. decides to go for broke. Russia will expand their base(s) in Syria and Assad will just be a puppet of Putin and the ayatollahs.

Nothing different from the same level playing field that was in place before the civil war really. All Putin has done is repaint the marker and advised the warmongers in US Congress "this is a no go zone".

• Like 1

Yeah I partially agree, but in reality at this point, they're just doing more or less what they were doing before the ****storm started, i.e, in the past by providing ex Soviet military equipment to the regime and now more modern Russian tanks, drones, aircraft etc. Support for Assad is essential to finish the conflict in Syria but I don't believe Putin's motives are to clean up the mess otherwise he would have rushed in years ago. IMO it's only a show of strength and divert attention away from the Ukraine.

Well I didnt say Putin's motives were straightforward; he does seem to be taking deliberate, 'straightforward' action against ISIS. In stark contrast to the Western alliance..

• Like 1

Well I didnt say Putin's motives were straightforward; he does seem to be taking deliberate, 'straightforward' action against ISIS. In stark contrast to the Western alliance..

He's taking action against ISIS so he can carve out a territory for Assad to negotiate with. Assad (thanks to Russia) now controls the entire Syrian sea coast, the best land in Syria, home to most of the moderate peoples. The rest is full of garbage and sand. So now the West wants to talk.

• Like 1

There are about 2000 Russian troops in Syria, but apparently none of them near zones where ISIS are in control. They're mostly around Assad's stronghold areas. So unless they move them around, it doesn't appear they're there to fight, just digging in and protecting Assad. The West isn't going to send troops and I personally tend to agree with this decision. But they could do more in supporting the Kurds which they won't or can't do otherwise they'd end up pi$$ing off Turkey.

Maybe it's time those rich Arab countries start doing more to clean up their region otherwise this conflict will go on for decades.

• Like 1

The rich Arab nations created this mess in Syria so i wouldn't be holding my breathe waiting for them to fix anything. I also disagree with you on the U.S. not intervening. America should have saved the Syrian people from civil war and removed Assad if that's what it took. 250 000 Syrians have died to date cause of a war to remove Assad cause he was to chummy with the Iranians and Russians.

America blundered into a half arsed war without putting boots on the ground in order to not offend wahhabist Saudi Arabia and recalcitrant Turkey.

There are about 2000 Russian troops in Syria, but apparently none of them near zones where ISIS are in control. They're mostly around Assad's stronghold areas. So unless they move them around, it doesn't appear they're there to fight, just digging in and protecting Assad. The West isn't going to send troops and I personally tend to agree with this decision. But they could do more in supporting the Kurds which they won't or can't do otherwise they'd end up pi$$ing off Turkey.

Maybe it's time those rich Arab countries start doing more to clean up their region otherwise this conflict will go on for decades.

Well in all fairness, consolidating Assad's position would be the logical first step in turning things around, wouldnt it. In addition, supplying Assad with the latest generation of Russian hardware is already changing the battlefield in their favour. I think this constitutes a better policy than having Russian troops directly engage ISIS (at this point), which would imply all sorts of compounding complexity - as we in the West have learned (or experienced rather, somehow any significant learningcurve seems to be absent).