Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Life Forms in Kepler 452-b?

Anomalocaris

As many of you may know, yesterday was announced the existence of the most Earth-like planet ever discovered.

Of course this can give us some material to discuss what types of life forms may or may not be living in Kepler 452b. To do that, let's take a look at the facts:

1. Kepler 452-b is spinning in an orbit around a star 10% brighter and 20% larger than our sun, at an orbital radius just 5% larger than that of the Earth.
  2. A year on 452-b is 385 Earth-days long.
  3. The planet is about 60 percent larger than the Earth, and its weight could be about 5 Earth masses, giving it a surface gravity of roughly 2g.

That being said, let the speculation begin: What kind of lifeforms may have been living in Kepler 452-b? and How the higher gravity of this planet could influence the evolution of potential life forms?

Edited by Anomalocaris
  • Like 2

So at 2G we could expect that any land based creature would have thicker bones and more massive musculature. Also, the planet is larger and so is the star so temperatures would be higher across the planet and especially at the equator. Would this extra heat cook off the water? Also, it is hypothesized that in a billion years the Sun will have grown enough to make the earth uninhabitable for humans and 452b's star is now that large so will they have been destroyed or did they get of the planet in time?

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 3

I would expect any animal life forms to be similar to horseshoe crabs - low to the ground, small(ish) and living mostly in water (if any)... What I would not expect at 2g's is an intelligent (sapient) lifeform... I would

think that 1.5g's would be the max for sapience to develop -no scientific reasoning for this - just a hunch based on a sapient species needing to be able to manipulate its environment (Pick things up, make items etc)

and 2g's I think would be too much to ever develop that...

Plant life would most likely be mosses, lichens and perhaps short thick trees/grasses...

To my mind this planet is most likely a Hot Venus type world - unsuited to life forms as we know them...

• Like 1

How long is a day on K?

Does it have a moon?

How long is a day on K?

Does it have a moon?

a year is 385 days

a year is 385 days

How long in hours is a day? Or is K tidally locked? This might have some bearing on life forms, as well as any moon or moons?

• Like 1

How long in hours is a day? Or is K tidally locked? This might have some bearing on life forms, as well as any moon or moons?

I dont know the day length. Maybe google does?

• Like 1

How long in hours is a day?

Well, let's start...

We know that there are 385 earth days on Kepler...

Kep = 385, Ear = 365...

385/365 = 1.055, so basically 1.055 Earth days on Kep is equal to 1 Earth day here...

So... multiply 1.055 by 24 (which is the standard earth day here)...

25.31 Earth hrs per day on Kepler... roughly.

Somebody please check my math because I am sure it's probably incorrect...

Edited by nuclearwessel
  • Like 3

Well, let's start...

Kep = 385, Ear = 365...

385/365 = 1.055, so basically 1.055 Earth days on Kep is equal to 1 Earth day here...

25.31 hrs per day on Kepler... roughly.

"Mr. Spock, its not a part of your job description to train alienz in basic astronomy."

"Ok, Captain but is it ok that I give Lieutenant Uhura a neck massage and flog Chekov, I mean after lunch?"

"Thats ok Mr. Spock, that is in compliance."

• Like 1

"Mr. Spock, its not a part of your job description to train alienz in basic astronomy."

"Ok, Captain but is it ok that I give Lieutenant Uhura a neck massage and flog Chekov, I mean after lunch?"

I like exercising my brain by doing math problems from time to time. :P

• Like 2

Well, let's start...

Kep = 385, Ear = 365...

Yes, its probably incorrect. That would mean K is spinning roughly twice as fast as Earth! Any aliens would probably be attached to the planet by umbillical chords for fear of being flung off the surface!

If a day lasts 385 Earth days then on the opposite side of the planet the nights would be just as long. Some very interesting life forms would exist there.

If a day lasts 385 Earth days

Perhaps you misread the math? From nuclearwessel?

Perhaps you misread the math? From nuclearwessel?

No. His math is sound but the facts are not.

Yes, its probably incorrect. That would mean K is spinning roughly twice as fast as Earth!

Um, forgive me but I'm not sure as to how that makes sense. If the days are 5.5% longer on Kepler then I don't see how that would equate to double the rotational speed.

Any aliens would probably be attached to the planet by umbillical chords for fear of being flung off the surface!

With a gravitation field of about 2G I don't think that any beings need to worry about being flung off of a planet that only has a rotational speed 5.5% faster than Earth's. Perhaps it is really a lot...

If a day lasts 385 Earth days then on the opposite side of the planet the nights would be just as long. Some very interesting life forms would exist there.

.... What ?

• Like 3

Yes, its probably incorrect. That would mean K is spinning roughly twice as fast as Earth! Any aliens would probably be attached to the planet by umbillical chords for fear of being flung off the surface!

Gravity doesn't really work that way. In fact the greater the gravity, the more difficult it would be to leave the planet.

If you actually read nuclearvessels post, you will find that he said the day would be 25,31 hours

His math is sound, your understanding of it is not !

Since no one knows how fast the planet rotates, how can you know what the facts are ?

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 1

Yes, you misunderstood his figures

Yes, you misunderstood his figures

It happens. Sometimes people just skim, sometimes people are tired and things get mucked up in their minds. I just hope that he will be a little more careful when reading a post next time so as to prevent these mistakes!

• Like 3

Gravity doesn't really work that way. In fact the greater the gravity, the more difficult it would be to leave the planet.

If you actually read nuclearvessels post, you will find that he said the day would be 25,31 hours

His math is sound, your understanding of it is not !

Since no one knows how fast the planet rotates, how can you know what the facts are ?

So, what you are saying is that, what he said ( nucearwessel ) is not a fact, because no- one knows how fast the planet rotates? Funny, thats what i said. Hmmmm.

His math is sound the facts are not. Go figure.

IF a day lasts 385 Earth days then on the opposite side of the planet the nights would be just as long. Some very interesting life forms would exist there.

.... What ?

The key word is IF.

The force of gravity (from such a large planet) acting upon anything on the surface would in all likely hood be much greater than the centripetal force of the planet's orbital motion. But you know this already. Some here, however, do not.

• Like 4

So, what you are saying is that, what he said ( nucearwessel ) is not a fact, because no- one knows how fast the planet rotates? Funny, thats what i said. Hmmmm.

His math is sound the facts are not. Go figure.

When did nuclearvessel ever say it was facts ?

You are the one who talks about facts where there are none.

The force of gravity (from such a large planet) acting upon anything on the surface would in all likely hood be much greater than the centripetal force of the planet's orbital motion. But you know this already. Some here, however, do not.

You are right (as usual). If the centripetal force was greater than the gravity, the planet could not have existed in the first place. Afterall how would it hold itself together ?

• Like 1

Well, let's start...

Kep = 385, Ear = 365...

Those calculations don't make any sense.

A year on the planet in question is 385 earth days long. That just means it takes 385 Earth to orbit its star. It tells you exactly nothing about how long one of its days is. Your calculations assume that the length of a day on Earth is somehow relevant to the length of a day on Kepler-452b, which it isn't.

You simply can't deduce how long a day on Kepler-452b is based upon the fact that its year is 385 Earth days long.

For example, let's take your calculations and substitute Venus for Keplter-452b

Well, let's start...

We know that there are 225 earth days on Venus

Kep = 225, Ear = 365...

225/365 = 0.616, so basically 0.616 Earth days on Kep is equal to 1 Earth day here...

So... multiply 0.616 by 24 (which is the standard earth day here)...

14.8 Earth hrs per day on Venus... roughly.

Yet we know that a day on Venus is actually 5,832 hours long! Sorry, but what you did above just isn't right at all.

The length of a year on a planet is directly related to how far from its star it is, but its rotational period has nothing to do with how long its year is. Look at our solar system and you'll find rotational periods that can't be calculated from the length of the year. Jupiter has a year of about 4500 Earth days and a day of less than half an earth day. Venus has a year of 225 Earth days, but a day of 243 Earth days. Mars has a year of 668 Earth days and a day almost the same as an Earth day. There's simply no relationship between the length of a year and the length of a day that allows you to calculate or estimate one from the other. edit: Their can be exceptions for bodies close enough to their parent body that they are tidally locked with them.

Edited by JesseCuster
  • Like 6

.... If the centripetal force was greater than the gravity, the planet could not have existed in the first place. Afterall how would it hold itself together ?

Exactly. You win the gold star on this one!

When did nuclearvessel ever say it was facts ?

You are the one who talks about facts where there are none.

What Jesse says above is a fact which was sorely lacking in nuclearwessels calculations.

Thanks Jesse.