Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Still Waters

President Barack Obama has admitted that his failure to pass "common sense gun safety laws" in the US is the greatest frustration of his presidency.

In an interview with the BBC, Mr Obama said it was "distressing" not to have made progress on the issue "even in the face of repeated mass killings".

He vowed to keep trying, but the BBC's North America editor Jon Sopel said the president did not sound very confident.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-33646704

• Like 1

The biggest frustration of the American people is waiting for obummer to tell the truth.

• Like 4

You would think a guy who Politically came out of Chicago would understand the uselessness of harsh gun control. More people where killed by guns in Chicago when guns were banned then after the supreme court found that law to not be Constitutional.

• Like 4

You would think a guy who Politically came out of Chicago would understand the uselessness of harsh gun control. More people where killed by guns in Chicago when guns were banned then after the supreme court found that law to not be Constitutional.

Please stop using facts to counter their "common sense policies".

Next you will saying that if the federal government had a program that gave a certain amount for used car trade ins but the car's had to be crushed instead of sold on the used car market that the price of the used cars would go up.

• Like 4

Here's to hoping you remain frustrated Mr President.

I still remember that look he had on his face when he had to go on live television and admit that he lost the gun control fight.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Who doesn't love Steve Harvey ? But at point 6:20 Steve mentions his worries about his daughter and dating , which in turn Obama jokes that he doesn't have to worry about his daughters because men with guns follow them around everywhere they go. I don't care about him joking and all , he's human just like everyone else . It just seemed to take something away from what he wants to come across as sincere in his fight for gun control.

• Like 1

Not sure how that would work out in the US, but gun control is quite effective here in Canada. Sure, there is no illusion that illegal weapons can't be bought on the black market for a certain price but there clearly isn't nearly as many guns and shootings with these regulations in big cities like Montreal and Toronto. Making them harder to get by also mean the wacko can't buy his firearm at the local store and easily start shooting innocent people in churches, schools, theaters..

Edited by Phenix20
  • Like 2

There are enough gun laws on the books here in the USA now to cover every shooting incident that occurs. Adding more only affects the law abiding citizen and I don't see where that would help any at all. The bad guys always find their weapons somewhere and it's very rarely at the local gun shop.

• Like 7

It just seemed to take something away from what he wants to come across as sincere in his fight for gun control.

It's pretty common for national politicians and celebrities who are big time anti-gun activists/legislators to have bodyguards (lots of them) who are heavily armed. The excuse given is that because they are anti-gun, they believe that a gun nut will come after them, and so they need gun toting bodyguards.

• Like 1

It's all 'feel good' BS politics that won't ever make a damn bit of difference. God, these people are idiots.

• Like 1

Mr. Obama has been the greatest salesman for guns the country has ever seen, since he took office they have been flying off the shelves, along with ammo sales and concealed carry permits are up also. That the one thing I can honestly say, good job Obama!

• Like 3

There are enough gun laws on the books here in the USA now to cover every shooting incident that occurs. Adding more only affects the law abiding citizen and I don't see where that would help any at all. The bad guys always find their weapons somewhere and it's very rarely at the local gun shop.

The US is awash with guns, states laws for the most part do not require any registration, license or permit whatsoever. No wonder the bad guys always their weapons. It's a cultural thing, so we are bound to disagree but the lives saved by gun control far overweight the *need* of possessing firearms without restrictions as far as I am concerned.

Just take the 2014 Ottawa shooting, where the best weapon this wacko could find to carry his attack was an old .30-30 Winchester model 1894. What if he had easy access to an automatic firearm? Probably more victims. True, one can find anything on the black market, but one has to have contacts, which most people do not.

Edited by Phenix20

The US is awash with guns

Perhaps, according to some information:

https://en.wikipedia...pita_by_country

However, there is some information to suggest that gun ownership in the US is actually declining:

http://www.huffingto..._b_7382326.html

http://www.newsweek....declines-312822

I appreciate that you posted this response, as it got me thinking and researching. You’re right, a majority of states do not require the registration, license or permit to own a gun:

http://smartgunlaws....policy-summary/

https://en.wikipedia...States_by_state

In fact, there are eight states that actually prohibit the registry of any firearms. It appears that restrictions are merely for conceal carry and/or open carry, "long-guns", and assault weapons.

So, what are these gun laws and on who’s books?

Edited by Oops Monkey
  • Like 1

I'm all for those people who feel the need to not own a gun to not own one. There isn't any requirement as far as I know to own or be trained. And I'll be right there with you, just as soon as the FedGov shows up with a plan to get guns from criminals and prevent more guns from getting into the nation.

As a marketing guy, I have to give props to the NRA for creating a fear culture that has permeated so thoroughly that it has become self-sustaining, all in the name of corporate profits.

It's like Coca-Cola and Christmas, except with school shootings.

• Like 3

As a marketing guy, I have to give props to the NRA for creating a fear culture that has permeated so thoroughly that it has become self-sustaining, all in the name of corporate profits.

Getting all of my news from the internet I wasn't aware the NRA are an often quoted, big influence. I do know every time there is talk of taking away guns rights sales go through the roof. At that time, people who have thought about buying one for years, but never followed through, will finally splurge. It isn't a small investment and a lot of people put it off as not an immediate need, unless there is a drastic change in their living conditions.

I certainly never see any ads.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 2

Oh, they are often quoted, but rarely cited. Most of the talk about taking guns away is usually started by them after major incidents, quickly followed by hyping everyone up to defend themselves from their guns being taken away. They are literally both boogeyman and saviour all in one.

More often than not, MSM makes pro-gun advocates sound like idiots. If their aim is for more gun control they are failing miserably. Usually, after an incident like Ferguson and the recent shootings in Chattanooga, gun sales will triple and safety classes will be booked for weeks, with no help from the NRA.

• Like 2

I'm going to agree with Michelle. The fear is started by well meaning politicians who don't really have a brain trying to come up with ideas to do something... ANYTHING... which will keep them in their position. And all too regularly this fear of losing their job turns into, "Let's pass more gun laws...". Which then frighten good honest responsible people to fear that their guns WILL be taken away, and then only criminals will have them. And so they do the logical thing, and buy extra ammo and extra guns.

Just as if it was announced that cigarettes would be banned, people will go out and buy crates of them and hide them in their basements. Or if liquor was going to be banned, people would go buy truckloads of booze and stash it in their basements and garages. It is human nature to hoard stuff that you think you want and which may be harder to buy soon.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

Just as if it was announced that cigarettes would be banned, people will go out and buy crates of them and hide them in their basements. Or if liquor was going to be banned, people would go buy truckloads of booze and stash it in their basements and garages. It is human nature to hoard stuff that you think you want and which may be harder to buy soon.

It's like when the weather calls for a few inches of snow in the South. People flock to the stores and completely clear the shelves of bread, milk and toilet paper. Apparently, those are the things people think they can't do without for a few days. :lol:

• Like 1

It's pretty common for national politicians and celebrities who are big time anti-gun activists/legislators to have bodyguards (lots of them) who are heavily armed. The excuse given is that because they are anti-gun, they believe that a gun nut will come after them, and so they need gun toting bodyguards.

yeah , you're right . I agree.

• Like 1

I'm all for those people who feel the need to not own a gun to not own one. There isn't any requirement as far as I know to own or be trained. And I'll be right there with you, just as soon as the FedGov shows up with a plan to get guns from criminals and prevent more guns from getting into the nation.

lol...as if that will ever happen first .

I'm going to agree with Michelle. The fear is started by well meaning politicians who don't really have a brain trying to come up with ideas to do something... ANYTHING... which will keep them in their position. And all too regularly this fear of losing their job turns into, "Let's pass more gun laws...". Which then frighten good honest responsible people to fear that their guns WILL be taken away, and then only criminals will have them. And so they do the logical thing, and buy extra ammo and extra guns.

That's exactly how the NRA wants people to act. Never mind that no actual gun restrictions of any significance have actually been passed in decades. Fear of fear itself is more than enough; you don't need the actual danger.

• Like 2