Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UN Tells Britain To Ban Smacking Kids At Home

Still Waters

British parents should be banned from smacking their children, a United Nations report has suggested.

The proposal was part of a number of recommendations made by the UN Human Rights Committee, which monitors the implementation of the International Covenant on Civil and Political rights.

The committee is made up of 18 international experts from countries including Tunisia, Algeria, and Uganda, as well as representatives from the US and UK.

http://news.sky.com/...ng-kids-at-home

ban smacking and re-introduce national service. because otherwise were going to end up in a world of trouble. - there are already millions of kids walking around who have never been told NO. and have no respect for anyone. you tell them off and they answer you back, with the attitude who the hell are you. nothing worse than a snotty teenager thinking there all that.

• Like 1

parents who smack kids deserve kids who smack the hell outa them, also it is no tthe kids fault if adults are incapable, there are countless adults who don`t know how to lead a happy life,I don`t see how they have the right to tell their kids anything :)

Edited by hellwyr
  • Like 3

parents who smack kids deserve kids who smack the hell outa them, also it is no the kids fault if adults are incompetet, there are countless adults who don`t know how to lead a happy life,I don`t see how they have the right to tell their kids anything :)

What a ridiculous statement, where as I don't condone physical abuse in any way the punishment must always fit the crime.

• Like 4

What a ridiculous statement, where as I don't condone physical abuse in any way the punishment must always fit the crime.

people who must resort to punishmet to make their children understand arent fit to be parents and surely do not understand basic human nature.

Hu "crime" sure as far as I can remember a judge punishes crime

Edited by hellwyr

The world is full of repugnant little so and so's who think they can do as they like and feel without fear of meaningful retribution from their parents.Of course you can always ground them in their rooms which are full of the latest games console's and computers or TVs.It's an hard life for todays kids ain't it.

• Like 3

The all positive never tell your kids psychology mentality created by behaviorist in the 70's is out of date and not really accepted anymore. The U.N needs to get on it

• Like 3

The world is full of repugnant little so and so's who think they can do as they like and feel without fear of meaningful retribution from their parents.Of course you can always ground them in their rooms which are full of the latest games console's and computers or TVs.It's an hard life for todays kids ain't it.

wow controling peopel with fear, must be hard to live a ife with this attitude. Teenagers need to gain experience, and if you worry about what they do or have done try to explain to them why you are worried and trust inyour kid that he or she will learn, becaue in the end it is HER or HIS life you can only stay by their side.

The all positive never tell your kids psychology mentality created by behaviorist in the 70's is out of date and not really accepted anymore. The U.N needs to get on it

Well of course todays world is drownd in war and if people lke you have kids I am afraid it only gets worse. The poisenos pedagogy has given rise to various fascit regims in Europe, but if I read your comments it seems as if people didnt learn from history, then so be it.

Edited by hellwyr
  • Like 1

The U.N. should butt out, no room for big brother intruding into my personal life.

Edited by shaddow134
  • Like 2

The U.N. should butt out, and deal with real cases of inhumanity...

yeah of course you decide what inhuman is, when you do not even understand violence, and when your heart cant even understand children............ do not make me laugh.

yeah of course you decide what inhuman is, when you do not even understand violence, and when your heart cant even understand children............ do not make me laugh.

Unfortunately I'm not known for my comedic personality and if I made you laugh then it was purely unintentional.

• Like 1

The committee is made up of 18 international experts from countries including Tunisia, Algeria, and Uganda, as well as representatives from the US and UK.

Because, you know, smacking children (for disciplinary purposes, not as abuse) is the primary problem those countries have to face. :mellow:

• Like 5

lol diciplinary purpose doesnt matter u could take any justification abuse remains abuse whatever purpose u want to give it dorsnt change that fact.

Well of course todays world is drownd in war and if people lke you have kids I am afraid it only gets worse. The poisenos pedagogy has given rise to various fascit regims in Europe, but if I read your comments it seems as if people didnt learn from history, then so be it.

Todays world is actually in less war then throughout most of human history. I have no clue what facts your other assumptions seemed to be based on?

• Like 1

so u know whole of human history. Google conflicts on earth, and I said drowned in war I didnt make any comparison to another age. I even wrote it is getting worse if people with a proabuse attitude raise children, luckily there are institutions which protect children nowadays so I hope society doesnt give in to those people.

Edited by hellwyr

lol diciplinary purpose doesnt matter u could take any justification abuse remains abuse whatever purpose u want to give it dorsnt change that fact.

I agree, but disciplining a child by smacking them is not abuse. I have never heard of a case where a child has been permanently traumatised through moderately-applied physical discipline to correct antisocial or other undesirable behaviour.

I would agree that some 'parents' are not fit for the job and cannot control their tempers - that is when abuse happens. But this is a minority and not applicable to the majority of responsible parents who use physical discipline to correct poor behaviour in their child.

But banning that physical discipline will not stop any abuse that occurs, because it is the lack of control that is the problem, not the disciplining itself.

• Like 8

When I was 3 or 4 I was out with my gran and I walked straight out into the road. There was nothing coming but I didn't look even though I knew the danger. My gran grabbed my arm yanked me back and gave me a sharp smack on the bum. I never did it again, and I never forgot that smack, the smack that likely saved my life!

• Like 4

I used to be smacked a lot by adults, relatives and teachers. Back then it was considered acceptable. Schools had the cane and I remember fearing head teachers. I don't agree that smacking "didn't do me harm" because it did. I still flinch when someone comes at me. It was painful and only taught me to be scared of people.

• Like 3

A little while back there was an article in some women's magazine I saw. It had the writer seeing a mother smack the legs of her kid who had been misbehaving so badly, the mother was left as she thought with no recourse other than to give the child a smack. The writer stepped in, telling this parent that this action was beyond the pale. The Mum's response? Go and boil your head...

Yes, let's get child abuse stopped, let's stop children being mistreated, but to ban smacking in the home? How the hells are you going to police this? Take the word of a kid that he/ she was smacked, and you must arrest his/ her mummy and daddy? You are aware that right now over here we've got scores of little barrack room lawyers telling adults that: "I've got rights! You can't touch me!" after little jerks have broken windows, slashed tires, behaved like little bloody monsters? I know from friends that when one of them threatened to penalise his kid for something, the tyke came back with "I'll call Childline. They'll believe me when I tell them you're abusing me!"

Just tonight, coming back from work, there was a mob of adults with brats in tow. Frankly, none of them behaved in any manner that resembled decency, but as I got uo to wait for the train to pull into the station, one of the little sods started calling me names, the rest of the brood joining in. And what did their parents do? Frag sodding all. When I was there age I recall advice given. Don't pick on anybody you don't know. You never know just how they'll react, because you don't know what an axe murderer looks like...

• Like 1

A little while back there was an article in some women's magazine I saw. It had the writer seeing a mother smack the legs of her kid who had been misbehaving so badly, the mother was left as she thought with no recourse other than to give the child a smack. The writer stepped in, telling this parent that this action was beyond the pale. The Mum's response? Go and boil your head...

'Smacking' needs to be appropriate, and unfortunately in this debate the word 'smacking' is not clearly defined. It can mean simply a light tap, or at the extreme a hard blow to the body or face, so context and accuracy is everything. Further to this, there is no clear threshold on what constitutes a reasonable discipline. In that example, more information is needed, however I would suggest legs are a little more ambiguous than say a smack on the bum.

To be clear when I talk about smacking, I am simply referring to a light tap with the palm of the hand, usually to an area of the body, like the bum, that is able to effectively absorb the action. In this context the smack is used in a similar light to that of a 'pat on the back'. It is a proven fact that appropriate bodily contact is very good at reinforcing a verbal prompt. In the case of praise, a 'pat on the back' serves as a reminder of that praise and the touch will be remembered subconsciously. This also works with reprimand, as such a light smack will reinforce a bad deed. It shouldn't be hard or painful, the line needs to be drawn, but a simple pat.

It is very important to not that smacking should not be used lightly, or be repeated. If the first smack doesn't do the job it is unlikely another will, and further smacking will then start to stink of abuse. Also smacking should be a last resort reserved for dangerous behaviour. For instance if your child is speaking really loudly and will not stop, I would suggest that a smack is totally inappropriate, however if your child is playing with matches or perhaps a knife then a smack is may be appropriate. Finally, and this is vital. For a smack to be effective, they must be aware that their behaviour is considered wrong. If you have a very young child who has just picked up the matches and perhaps has never seen them before then a smack is completely unwarranted.

This is not a debate that will be settled here, but an interesting one none the less, and one in which the jury is still out in professional Child Protection Circles. I have never however, ever come across a case that involved child protection concerns being raised from and isolated case of smacking. Physical abuse tends to be many incidents occurring over a prolonged period, and will be for the most part some sort of power play on the part of the abuser. You may get the odd case of discipline gone haywire, but in the vast majority of cases the child will be threatened with further abuse or escalation if they disclose, and the adult will be very aware that their behaviour is wrong and will attempt to conceal it, and will always take place behind closed doors. It is the latter that makes it so hard to actually spot and intervene in cases of abuse. Generally, not always, but generally if a child is disciplined in public, there is normally no risk to the child, because no self aware adult will want to risk being caught.

Interestingly, there are many examples of passive 'smacking' that clearly show that a smack is not the monster people tend to make it out as. A good example of this is winding a baby. Official guidelines state that you should wind a baby by patting the back gently but firmly repeatedly until they burp.

Kids who knowingly do something very bad(like say, throwing rocks at a window for their amusement) might need a whipping depending on their age. Nothing wrong with that at all.

• Like 2

Kids who knowingly do something very bad(like say, throwing rocks at a window for their amusement) might need a whipping depending

on their age. Nothing wrong with that at all.

It wouldn`t be wrong if you would get some whippings for this stupid statement. Kids who smashed a window and got told that this was

not ok and got explained well why not, dont do that again.

• Like 2

Thread cleaned

Can you tone it down please hellwyr, there's no need to post insults at everyone. Thank You.

• Like 1