Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Expert warns against replying to ET signals

Professor Matthew Bailes has advised against attempting to correspond with an extraterrestrial race.

While listening for alien messages could help us learn more about our place in the universe not everyone believes that attempting to communicate with aliens would be in our best interests.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...g-to-et-signals

• Like 1

If we're going to be concerned about humanity leading itself to ruin, there's plenty of better issues on which we should focus our worry. I'll pass on the anticipatory stress associated with actually caring about hypothetical alien invasions.

• Like 1

Good thing there are no ET signals to respond to.

That was a close one.

• Like 6

Good thing there are no ET signals to respond to.

That was a close one.

None that we have found yet, anyway.

• Like 5

I agree. We could search for signals and learn from them without trying to contact them. I mean, to what end ? If they gave us answers, new tech, it will only serves the gov and if they want to kill us / harvest us, it will be bad for everyone, so this is a no-win situation.

plus, maybe once they found our answer, they can teleport to our location with this kind of signals and were dead.

• Like 1

Im getting dejavu with this thread...

There are no experts on aliens.... just opinions

• Like 7

I wonder how many more "experts" are going to come out and claim that it is in our best interest to avoid contacting extraterrestrial beings.

• Like 1

I wonder how many more "experts" are going to come out and claim that it is in our best interest to avoid contacting extraterrestrial beings.

It's nothing compared to those who call themselves Exopolitics! XD

Edited by Anomalocaris
  • Like 2

We should greet ET with a nuclear war head in my expert opinion.

• Like 2

I still believe that the potential benefits of contact with an advanced race far outweighs the danger.

Considering how costly it is to mount an invasion here on Earth (e.g. Iraq), can anyone come up with a real world, not science fiction, scenario where the cost of an interstellar invasion would be worth it ?

What a lovely way to greet your neighbors. :wacko:

I could comment on the "expert opinion" ............ but if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything. :whistle:

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 5

WHAT? What have they ever done to us? Anyway, if they can get here to start with, our puny missiles wont do much.

Id hope/expect aliens to be friendly, curious to learn... as we would be about them..

Edited by seeder
  • Like 3

Seriously?

Perhaps we're the species that everyone else in the galaxy should be wary of.

Exactly. The best form of defense is to have the best offense...

WHAT? What have they ever done to us? Anyway, if they can get here to start with, our puny missiles wont do much.

Id expect aliens to be friendly, curious to learn... as we would be about them..

Well that depends, if they are a lot like us, then we are doomed lol

Edited by Anomalocaris
  • Like 3

Well that depends, if they are a lot like us, then we are doomed lol

Well now, some people say we are a species thats mad for war, but that isnt the case really is it? Sure, our Govts have created the wars and we have HAD to fight... but, look inside yourself....do you really have urges to kill others? I know I dont...

• Like 4

Seriously?

Perhaps we're the species that everyone else in the galaxy should be wary of.

I am pretty sure that this is the opposite of what Lilly meant ?

• Like 1

Id hope/expect aliens to be friendly, curious to learn... as we would be about them..

Yes, perhaps they would befriend us like how we befriend dogs. We could show them all the love and loyalty they desire. :( !

Well now, some people say we are a species thats mad for war, but that isnt the case really is it? Sure, our Govts have created the wars and we have HAD to fight... but, look inside yourself....do you really have urges to kill others? I know I dont...

Well yes, maybe the alien explorers are curious scientists as our astronomers and astronauts, beings who just want to learn and discover new things. And while the world from which they come can be organized (politically and socially) very differently, anyway it could be a bit dangerous if they are not very different from us. After all, governments control our world, not scientists.

But I'm also crossing my fingers for peaceful aliens anyways :D

• Like 1

I am pretty sure that this is the opposite of what Lilly meant ?

Gold Star for you. * wanders off worried about humanity*

Gold Star for you. * wanders off worried about humanity*

I got a gold star yesterday too. Does this mean I am becoming the teachers pet ?

Here is a little something for you:

3252923639_teacher_apple_xlarge.jpeg

I got a gold star yesterday too. Does this mean I am becoming the teachers pet ?

Here is a little something for you:

3252923639_teacher_apple_xlarge.jpeg

Yeh Eve did the same thing :lol:

• Like 1

None that we have found yet, anyway.

But the Wow! signal is still in question if yes or not.

• Like 1

Hmm, I'm not sure if I understand your reasoning here. Who is to say that we have the best "offense"? What if these beings are billions of years ahead of us in terms of technology and all that a nuclear bomb will do is make an otherwise peaceful species angry and retaliate with much more advanced weaponry? That would be a completely AWFUL idea.

• Like 1