Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Genetic switch could halt the aging process

UM-Bot

Scientists may have found a way to halt aging in humans by discovering a way to do it in worms.

Two scientists at Northwestern University in Illinois have identified a genetic switch in a species of transparent roundworm that appears to disable the stress responses designed to protect cells by keeping certain important proteins functioning.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/284054/genetic-switch-could-halt-the-aging-process

• Like 1

Good news for a planet already overpopulated.

• Like 2

First we should figure out how to colonize space and then work on our population. Am I for making humans what is beginning to seem immortal? No, but can't fight innovations even if they are horrible.

Good news for a planet already overpopulated.

Oh don't worry. We'll make it super expensive, so only a few of us can afford it.

• Like 4

Sign me up! Oh, after the safety trials, that is.

First we should figure out how to colonize space and then work on our population. Am I for making humans what is beginning to seem immortal? No, but can't fight innovations even if they are horrible.

I saw an article the other day saying NASA may have found Earth2. So I guess we'll be ready for deep space travel.

They have already succeeded this in mice, but they wont comercialize it. Don know y. Mayb anything thats sci-fi they wont sell..

Edited by TheGreatBeliever

I saw an article the other day saying NASA may have found Earth2. So I guess we'll be ready for deep space travel.

Yes but we still need to technology to be able to survive the trip. Doesn't matter if we stop aging or get replacement everything, the radiation alone would kill us before we got 1/10 of the way there. First we need to colonize planets and moons like Mars, Titan, Europa etc. Spread out the race a bit and then work out deep space and once we have the technology, then make people "immortal" because then we can just send then which ever way we want.
  • Like 1

The overpopulation problem would probably be solved under the authority of the same people that will extend our lifespans. I like the idea of this science and would like to use the procedures they create on myself when it becomes available. I would pay any price to slow or reverse my aging.

I have not done any procreation at all and don't intend to, and recycle all my paper and plastics. Thus due to my pro-environmental lifestyle, I demand to be one of the eternally youthful immortals.

• Like 1

First I going to ask do you think those who control such science are going to really share with any of us? Second they been talking of space colonization for 50 years now do you think its going to happen in your life time?

Edited by gatekeeper32
  • Like 1

I knew it, they just had to take our pension somehow... byebye pension, welcome changing a lot of elderly's diapers.

They have already succeeded this in mice, but they wont comercialize it. Don know y. Mayb anything thats sci-fi they wont sell..

Can't let the sheep get smart. If you live a long healthy life, there's too much of a risk you'll get wise enough to make the world a better place = free of slavery = hurt the business of oligark business tycoon tyrants, big pharma big gmo big military industry you name it. You can't patent plain organic so it's bad business for them, that why they just gotta have some kinda technology on medicine & food. This is tech so it's good for them, but they gotta figure first how to make it something you need to take every once in a while instead of just one shot and that's it, so they can keep taking your money = making you work more and more = making you maintain your slave mindset.

You are a slave and will be a slave. This will not change it. Enjoy that life, it will only last longer now.

Or what, think I'm wrong? Prove me wrong.

...their empire is fragile, in a lot of ways.

Edited by Mikko-kun

I don't need a 'halt' switch...I need a 'reverse' switch! :cry:

A halt switch should keep you well long enough to still be around when the reverse switch will come about. ^_~

Yeah we All get to live to be a thousand, of course this means you will have to work till your 995 years old to receive your pension

Yes but we still need to technology to be able to survive the trip. Doesn't matter if we stop aging or get replacement everything, the radiation alone would kill us before we got 1/10 of the way there. First we need to colonize planets and moons like Mars, Titan, Europa etc. Spread out the race a bit and then work out deep space and once we have the technology, then make people "immortal" because then we can just send then which ever way we want.

You're right. I guess we should withhold any medicine, treatments and advancements that could extend people's lives until we can populate other planets. In fact, we should stop producing medicine of any kind. That will ensure that people in general have shorter lifespans and help fight overpupulation. Because screw people.

OR, you know, we could NOT take the psychopathic path and concentrate on solving the problems brought by overpopulation WITHOUT withholding medicine and advancements that can prolong people's lifespans.

You're right. I guess we should withhold any medicine, treatments and advancements that could extend people's lives until we can populate other planets. In fact, we should stop producing medicine of any kind. That will ensure that people in general have shorter lifespans and help fight overpupulation. Because screw people.

OR, you know, we could NOT take the psychopathic path and concentrate on solving the problems brought by overpopulation WITHOUT withholding medicine and advancements that can prolong people's lifespans.

And how would you suggest we stop population growth? 1st world countries wouldn't implement a 1 kid per family rule. So what's your solution? Edited by IBelieveWhatIWant

So Brok, I'm still waiting for your solution to population growth or are you just the type of person to hide back in the shadows when you are confronted with a answer you can't combat?

how about taxing children? the more children you make, the more taxes you are going to pay. And as incentive, no taxes for xx years to couples who decide to not have children? I dont know.

About the 'not aging people' how about forced sterilization to the people who go for the AA treatment?

how about taxing children? the more children you make, the more taxes you are going to pay. And as incentive, no taxes for xx years to couples who decide to not have children? I dont know.

About the 'not aging people' how about forced sterilization to the people who go for the AA treatment?

Oh no, we can't have forced sterilization, that would be inhumane according to Brok :) As for the taxing for children, I don't believe that would work because of the simple fact that the less educated more often than not have the most kids. That would just be another way for the poor to stay poor imo. It really seems like the best option to hold off on "immortality" until colonization of other planets is possible.

Why does Zardoz spring to mind?