Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Information about the snake idols?

Anomalocaris

Hi, I want information about the snake idols from Middle East. I just found this book and I wondered if there are other sites with information on the subject.

The Cult of the Serpent

I read that there may be information in the book "Beyond the Ubaid," although I'm not sure.

apparently if you bring them all together in a temple you summon Thulsa Doom.

• Like 2

I don't see any good generic overviews on a quick look (and can't assess the book you linked to... can't see what the references are.) but it appears (from the articles citing it) that it's reliable.

What question were you seeking to answer?

I want to know more about these guys, since the only thing I know about them is what Giorgio Tsoukalos says, and we know this guy is not a reliable communicator.

de%20Tell%20es%20Sawwan,%205800%20AC.JPG

bird%20like%20headed%20and%20lizard%20head%20females%20figures.JPG

Ubid%20goddes_childnursing.jpg

I want to know who were these mythical creatures and why they have these very exotic features? ...some seem anthropomorphic reptiles... What is the meaning or symbolism behind?

• Like 2

Snakes are odd beasties mytholoigcally speaking. They're often considered bringers of wisdom (most famously in the Adam and Eve story - although that's a SERPENT and not a snake - it could easily be a gecko or a dragon based on the root word, although il serpente means "snake" in Italian and, I think, therefore something similar in Latin) but equally they're feared (because obviously reasons are obvious).

• Like 2

Snakes are odd beasties mytholoigcally speaking. They're often considered bringers of wisdom (most famously in the Adam and Eve story - although that's a SERPENT and not a snake - it could easily be a gecko or a dragon based on the root word, although il serpente means "snake" in Italian and, I think, therefore something similar in Latin) but equally they're feared (because obviously reasons are obvious).

Just to add to your response mate, the snake/serpent also was popular with fertility worship too. So its the old matriarchal religion that's being celebrated.

• Like 2

I want to know more about these guys, since the only thing I know about them is what Giorgio Tsoukalos says, and we know this guy is not a reliable communicator.

de%20Tell%20es%20Sawwan,%205800%20AC.JPG

bird%20like%20headed%20and%20lizard%20head%20females%20figures.JPG

Ubid%20goddes_childnursing.jpg

I want to know who were these mythical creatures and why they have these very exotic features? ...some seem anthropomorphic reptiles... What is the meaning or symbolism behind?

First we'd have to identify which culture they came from (I'm assuming they're from different cultures?) and so forth. I'm turning up a blank, myself - probably because of the way that search engines on my computers have been trained to give me results.

First we'd have to identify which culture they came from (I'm assuming they're from different cultures?) and so forth. I'm turning up a blank, myself - probably because of the way that search engines on my computers have been trained to give me results.

The reason why you are pulling blanks is not your search engine but because we understand very little to nothing about the matriarchal cults, after all they are being suppressed for many thousand years now and its primordial symbol, the snake, converted into the symbol of evil. It is very unlikely that we will ever gain an understanding of these cults or religions, they left no record and what we can find cannot tell us much.

• Like 1

I wonder whether someone will soon jump in, claiming they are annunaki reptiloid overlords...

• Like 1

They are annunaki :)

anunnaki - like ninhursag mother snake goddess of sumer

snakes are often rivers symbolically

The reason why you are pulling blanks is not your search engine but because we understand very little to nothing about the matriarchal cults, after all they are being suppressed for many thousand years now and its primordial symbol, the snake, converted into the symbol of evil. It is very unlikely that we will ever gain an understanding of these cults or religions, they left no record and what we can find cannot tell us much.

Uhm... not what I meant. What I mean is that I can't seem to find images of them on the search engines (my cookies are tuned to prefer results from news sites, museum sites, etc.) I don't have the proper names/civilization tags to find them.

I'm not so sure I believe in 'matriarchal cults.' The notion was the product of some very bad anthropological research in the early 20th century (anthropologists have learned to NOT leap to such wild conclusions so quickly). There's good evidence for some goddess dominated cultures (Minoans, for example) but the rest... not so sure.

But that's beside the point. What culture are these from? What are they called by museums?

As far as I can see none are from the obvious cultures with a known snake worship and all except the last might not even represent snakes, so we will have to wait for the OP to enlighten us.

Edited by questionmark

Just to add to your response mate, the snake/serpent also was popular with fertility worship too. So its the old matriarchal religion that's being celebrated.

Which would explain why the Patriarchal religions seem to be very "anti-snake".

I think they are terracotta heads. Ubaid period, 4,500 B.C:

Terracotta idols heads Ubaid

Ubaid period

Edited by Anomalocaris

There's good evidence for some goddess dominated cultures (Minoans, for example)

They even have goddess with snakes!

minoansnakegoddess2a.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist, it was the first thing which came to my mind as I read the flow of the discussion. :blush:

• Like 2

many religions ,extinct and extant, do have snake idols the Hindhu Naga for one. "snakes" are an interesting element, in many forms, of many religions , worldwide* I have no answers, i've just noticed them around a lot in my limited random readings and searchings.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

From Wkipedia: Kukulkan ("Plumed Serpent", "Feathered Serpent") is the name of a Maya snake deity that also serves to designate historical persons. The depiction of the feathered serpent deity is present in other cultures of Mesoamerica. The Aztec name is Quetzalcoatl, Feathered Serpent. These Mesoamerican deities have more in common with the Chinese Dragon than with Serpent Cults, elsewhere.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

yup. I found a couple informative websites on "snake" worship throughout the ages in all sorts of places (including the ancient middle and near east).... good pics too.

http://publications.maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/publications/jbms/10/2/S00007-50e5e94151cc87Skinner.pdf

http://creativityandhealing-kalina.blogspot.com/2011/07/snakes-serpents.html

I think they are terracotta heads. Ubaid period, 4,500 B.C:

Terracotta idols heads Ubaid

Ubaid period

Then we can exclude a snake cult, we are seeing a manneristic representation of humans. Nothing to see here, keep on moving.

Edit, see a typical head representation:

vincaface.jpg

Edited by questionmark
  • Like 2

Snakes were considered a positive because of the links with medicine.

Then we can exclude a snake cult, we are seeing a manneristic representation of humans. Nothing to see here, keep on moving.

Edit, see a typical head representation:

vincaface.jpg

Faction Paradox Was Here.

• Like 1

Snakes were considered a positive because of the links with medicine.

In Greek culture, yes! Sort of. In the cultures of the area those statues came from? Not so much. The peoples of the region, and all through Africa, are typically pretty quick to kill snakes when they come across them because the snakes in those areas are very often lethally venomous, and pretty aggressive. While it is possible that the peoples of the Ubaid cultures revered snakes, it's not very likely.

• Like 2