Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cecil, Africa's biggest lion beheaded

Myles

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/07/27/man-allegedly-paid-55k-to-skin-behead-famed-african-lion/?intcmp=hpbt3

The lion was wearing a GPS tracker, and authorities say he was tricked into leaving the park, shot with a bow and arrow, tracked for 40 hours, and killed with a rifle outside the park on private land.

• Like 3

It sux to be a lion... :(

In the OP's link it says a Spanish hunter did it. In the following link it says -

An American dentist has been identified as the hunter who allegedly killed Zimbabwe's "iconic" lion.

https://uk.news.yaho...77.html#d3uLviU

Whoever it was, words escape me for what he did.

• Like 9

"The task force claim that Walter Palmer, a dentist from Minnesota, allegedly paid park guides $50,000 (£32,000) to kill the lion, who was a hugely popular attraction at the Hwange National Park."

OK so at least the park was compensated which is important to note. This is not poaching, this is a paid hunt (African parks largely depend on these to fund conservation efforts). I'm confused as to why he lured the lion off the park to kill it?

"The task force claim that Walter Palmer, a dentist from Minnesota, allegedly paid park guides $50,000 (£32,000) to kill the lion, who was a hugely popular attraction at the Hwange National Park."

OK so at least the park was compensated which is important to note. This is not poaching, this is a paid hunt (African parks largely depend on these to fund conservation efforts). I'm confused as to why he lured the lion off the park to kill it?

Did he pay the park or the guides?

• Like 5

I'm confused as to why he lured the lion off the park to kill it?

Animals are often tempted away from the protection of their parks so that they can be killed 'legally', although the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority, who are responsible for issuing hunting permits and quotas, insist Cecil was killed illegally.

https://uk.news.yaho...77.html#d3uLviU

The guides, it says in the yahoo link.

I do hope this isn't going to turn into a witch hunt against hunting, hunting is fine if everything is legal.The Dentist claims that his guides had obtained all necessary permits and that he thought he was acting legally.If this is the case then the guides should be the ones to face the music.

Edited by shaddow134
  • Like 3

I do hope this isn't going to turn into a witch hunt against hunting, hunting is fine if everything is legal.The Dentist claims that his guides had obtained all necessary permits and that he thought he was acting legally.If this is the case then the guides should be the ones to face the music.

Yeah it doesn't sound like the Dentist is trying to hide anything here. He's making a public statement soon, if he hasn't already.

• Like 1

Yeah it doesn't sound like the Dentist is trying to hide anything here. He's making a public statement soon, if he hasn't already.

He just did on the news. Said his guides had acquired all the permits, etc. gov is now denying they signed said permits :s

He paid the guides. They are being charged. This dentist has been investigated before for shady hunting practices

• Like 5

I for one will be mighty glad to second Master Leo's motion and proposition ~

• Like 2

What I am hearing is that they lured the lion out of the park so they could kill it! If this is true, sounds a lot like poaching to me!

I can not even express what I would like seen done to this man! So ANGRY! ANGRY_zpsc7owrw68.gif

• Like 6

What I am hearing is that they lured the lion out of the park so they could kill it! If this is true, sounds a lot like poaching to me!

I can not even express what I would like seen done to this man! So ANGRY! ANGRY_zpsc7owrw68.gif

Are you more angry with the hunter or the guides who do this for many people?

I'm mad at both. Maybe more so with the guides though. They are providing an open door for these idiots. Then again, it's hard to be more p issed at anyone than the dope who paid so much money to kill this lion.

Did he know it was Cecil (the popular 13 year old large lion)? You can bet that the guides did.

• Like 3

I saw this on the news yesterday and wondered why it's a big deal.... Now I'm in awe and a bit mad at it.

• Like 4

http://www.foxnews.c...n/?intcmp=hpbt3

The lion was wearing a GPS tracker, and authorities say he was tricked into leaving the park, shot with a bow and arrow, tracked for 40 hours, and killed with a rifle outside the park on private land.

There is nothing wrong or illegal with paying to go on a lion hunting vacation.

The dentist has done nothing wrong.

• Like 1

It's illegal to kill lions in the park. Cecil was off limits, but the guides were bribed enough to not care. I understand that the dentist didn't know he was doing anything illegal, but... how could you kill a lion? They are beautiful, majestic creatures likely to soon be endangered. And to just hunt it for the thrill, I doubt they even ate the meat. I'm not a fan of trophy hunting.

• Like 2

It's illegal to kill lions in the park. Cecil was off limits, but the guides were bribed enough to not care. I understand that the dentist didn't know he was doing anything illegal, but... how could you kill a lion? They are beautiful, majestic creatures likely to soon be endangered. And to just hunt it for the thrill, I doubt they even ate the meat. I'm not a fan of trophy hunting.

IMO, he knew they lured him from the park and it wasn't going to be ok. There was a park for a reason. They are protected there from hunters for a reason

• Like 7

It was a lion. Aren't there plenty of lions....

Welll.... Plenty is a relative word. Rather then lament the death of this individual lion, there should be an outcry on hunting lions all together. Unless the remaining land can't support them, and no where is left to transplant them.

I'm not a big fan of African Big Game hunting, but people pay small fortunes to do it. Rhinos are farmed in South Africa for this very purpose...

• Like 1

To be fair, the 'merican that killed him was a DDS, and when people holding holding medical doctorates mistakenly murder a famous beast......wait, a man with a medical doctorate killed a famous animal thinking their would be no consequence.....no the **** wonder i hate dentists.

• Like 6