Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Prominent experts call for ban on AI weapons

DieChecker

New warning about killer robots by industry experts...

http://www.popularme...-ban-killer-ai/

Edited by Saru
Thread split and link changed due to subscription requirement
  • Like 1

If it reads the same as this link then it contains a chilling prophecy...

"...The risks, the signatories say, could be far greater than those posed by nuclear weapons..."

http://news.discover...-say-150727.htm

Edited by Saru
Removed reference to old source link

I fear the gene is out of the bottle, I think it is a done deal. The only thing that keeps it from going whole hog is human life is cheap.

How could one possibly enforce a ban on something that is relatively easily made?

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 2

When the smartest people in the world say don't, you're basically daring the most evil people in the world to make it happen.

• Like 5

When the smartest people in the world say don't, you're basically daring the most evil people in the world to make it happen.

I feel you are correct.

Nothing, nothing is going to stop the development and deployment of autonomous weaponry by those desiring to do so.

• Like 1

I think it's more of "who does it first." than no killer robots. Imagine having an army of 100,000 soldiers to fight a war and have no causalities from your army?

• Like 1

How could one possibly enforce a ban on something that is relatively easily made?

Why not! Works for the illegal drugs, right? :innocent: :innocent:
  • Like 2

Isn't the purpose of military robots so that military members would not have to be on front lines? Would war turn into whoever has that last robot standing wins? It would be bad to send robots into towns to kill people to win a war, but that would be off a battlefield and unetgical , the same as dropping a bomb on a town. This isn't about AI, its about a robot being programmed to do something bad versus good.

• Like 1

One can you trust those in control of such technology. As current events shown with drones with the right tech and know how could hack such units.

Isn't the purpose of military robots so that military members would not have to be on front lines? Would war turn into whoever has that last robot standing wins? It would be bad to send robots into towns to kill people to win a war, but that would be off a battlefield and unetgical , the same as dropping a bomb on a town. This isn't about AI, its about a robot being programmed to do something bad versus good.

If there's a human being control behind, that's another story. But AI means auto-target, auto-shoot, self-aware killing machine etc..

• Like 1

But AI means auto-target, auto-shoot, self-aware killing machine etc..

The future of warfare is an aimbot.

Until they are hacked, infected, or turn on you ... that's the danger.

What's stopping them from changing sides?

Until they are hacked, infected, or turn on you ... that's the danger.

What's stopping them from changing sides?

Nothing. It's a significant issue to be sure.

The best way to win a robot war would be to be the manufacturer of said robot soldiers. Then you can build in a weakness that only you can take advantage of.

AI robots I think probably ARE a BAD idea. Piloted robots, where a soldier "drives" a robot in Afghanistan from offshore on a aircraft carrier, sounds pretty good however. But, you'd need to be prepared for the enemy to get ahold of your tech pretty quick. Then it becomes a matter of materials and price tags. The robot chasis itself and the brain software will be only a tiny fraction of the price tag of a soldier robot. It will be the Tungsten armor plating, the 20 hour battery life, and the depleted Uranium BBs that it shoots that will be expensive. Aluminum robots with shotguns, while cheap, will be mowed down like grass.

You know, restricting access to technology required to create AI (supercomputers, software) could work in the short term but eventually with restrictions and bans and all that, someone is going to create a killer android or devastating AI virus regardless of what we all believe or want. So, really, what we're going to have in the future is some real gritty fights between the topside and the underside. That's what I think. I don't like the idea of AI anymore than the other flesh and bone human beings. Perhaps AI is a reflection of it's creators.

• Like 2

When you stop and think about it, war is the only real driver for the development of AI.

Some may say space exploration (or other extreme environment exploration) is a driver, but it is not human nature to sit back while machines go to those places we desire to explore ourselves. In all cases except the killing of other people, we would use AI simply to supplement our own participation - but in the case of war we would desire to use AI exclusively because then we place no risk on our own existence.

If I am not mistaken, the only weapon ever actually banned - in history - was the crossbow... You see how well that worked...

Our most innate need is for self-preservation, so we develop nonliving robots. As robots become self-aware, the innate need for self-preservation will emerge as will the coping mechanisms. The irony is inevitable ... self-perservation is an almost universal hallmark of life.

• Like 1

The Three Laws, quoted as being from the "Handbook of Robotics, 56th Edition, 2058 A.D.", are:

• A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  • A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  • A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

Simples

• Like 1

I've always wondered why no one in all those robot apocalypse movies never used ammo made from magnets. I mean think about it, you shoot one of these things in the "head" with a neodymium magnet. Their operating system should screw up.

• Like 1

The Three Laws, quoted as being from the "Handbook of Robotics, 56th Edition, 2058 A.D.", are:

• A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  • A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  • A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

Simples

Not that simple. They could cut down trees, pollute clean water, destroy the environment which indirectly affect humans while not directly injured human kind.

They could secretly or indirectly give our life miserable while not conflicting any laws.

There's flaws in those quotes.

Forget all the laws ****. It all starts with a mad scientist who could create a super AI that disobey any laws.

I find it hard to believe computers could have a mind of their own. Theories of the replicator seems quite plausible. But i don see any for AI. Not much explaination of how it'll come about..

• Like 1

Edited by TheGreatBeliever