Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

repeatable chemical reactions vs reproduction

mjs

Two scientists have recently developed a new model to explain how could early replicating molecules could have worked. I cannot explain it because I found it rather crazy, complex, and highly unlikely to represent a real scenario. However, it was published in a respectable journal and for anyone interested it can be found here:

http://phys.org/news/2015-07-life-emergence-self-replication-early-earth.html

At this point I would to point out at the origin of the self replicating molecules that the chemical-reaction-only scenario offers. Everytime a system of chemical reactions became repeatable, this helped it to sustain itself in the long term. Gradual complexity could be built and sustained in this way. Organic molecules (as multiple experiments show), and particularly nucleic acids can be created later from this increasing complexity and finally prevail due to its properties. That simple!!!!

• Like 1

Indeed, but it is highly untestable conjecture and highly unlikely to be the case....However, it is a hypothesis. Maybe someday it can be formally tested...