Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

hubble is colorblind

markprice

I recently heard the fact that there is no visible starlight in outer space. I have a hubble calendar etc. so I had to look into how...: "There are no "natural color" cameras aboard the Hubble and never have been. The optical cameras on board have all been digital CCD cameras, which take images as grayscale pixels...."HubbleSite - Reference Desk - FAQs

"We often use color as a tool, whether it is to enhance an object's detail or to visualize what ordinarily could never be seen by the human eye," NASA officials explain on the agency's Hubble Web site.Truth Behind the Photos: What the Hubble Space Telescope Really Sees

Um, okay, color is the dominant feature on all hubble pics, applied by talented artists, because the pictures would be far too boring to sell without it. Basically all hubble can see is some gray radiation.

This has been known for a long time, one of the reasons they provide colour is to try and catch attention to the public.

I recently heard the fact that there is no visible starlight in outer space. I have a hubble calendar etc. so I had to look into how...: "There are no "natural color" cameras aboard the Hubble and never have been. The optical cameras on board have all been digital CCD cameras, which take images as grayscale pixels...."HubbleSite - Reference Desk - FAQs

"We often use color as a tool, whether it is to enhance an object's detail or to visualize what ordinarily could never be seen by the human eye," NASA officials explain on the agency's Hubble Web site.Truth Behind the Photos: What the Hubble Space Telescope Really Sees

Um, okay, color is the dominant feature on all hubble pics, applied by talented artists, because the pictures would be far too boring to sell without it. Basically all hubble can see is some gray radiation.

Congrats, you discovered America...

Any digital camera (in your phone, camcorder, etc) see "in some gray radiation". Thats why color filters are being used.

As for "talented artists", you missed

The observatory will often take photos of the same object through multiple filters. Scientists can then combine the images, assigning blue light to the data that came in through the blue filter, for example, red light to the data read through the red filter and green light to the green filter, to create a comprehensive color image.

Um, okay, color is the dominant feature on all hubble pics, applied by talented artists, because the pictures would be far too

boring to sell without it.

Lame argumentation. Hubble wasn`t send into space to produce images to be sold, or did you ever payed for a by Hubble

made image?

Basically all hubble can see is some gray radiation.

Basically hubble can detect gray radiation, ultraviolet radiation and infrared radiation.

Congrats, you discovered America...

Any digital camera (in your phone, camcorder, etc) see "in some gray radiation". Thats why color filters are being used.

As for "talented artists", you missed

Color filters provide hints not actual color which applied by the artists.

Lame argumentation. Hubble wasn`t send into space to produce images to be sold, or did you ever payed for a by Hubble

made image?

Basically hubble can detect gray radiation, ultraviolet radiation and infrared radiation.

I spent over ten bucks for that calendar. Marketing merchandise...

1/10 thread your flat earth one was better

Here is that disgruntled NASA artist again in case you missed it:

This has been known for a long time, one of the reasons they provide colour is to try and catch attention to the public.

Yeah but news to me. I have the EXPERIENCING HUBBLE: Understanding the Greatest Images of the Universe (The Great Courses) guidebook right here with no mention of the coloring process that makes those pics worth looking at. It says things like " , the colorful HST image of the colliding Antennae Galaxies shows..."

[...]

Where do you see art in combining arrays of numbers? Do you see geologist, hydrologists, conservationists (and other ists), who are using different combinations of spectral bands (provided by Landsat satellites), as being artists? You can get some info from "true color" images, but, if you look at the table in the link, you will see how much more info you can get by combining different bands.

Same with the Hubble.

Anyway, what is the purpose of this thread?

It seems to me that has to do with this absurd idea that NASA is lying to us. Well, if that is the real goal, then this thread should be located in the conspiracies section and not here.

• Like 1

For some Hubble photos, such as the galaxy ESO 510-G13 for example, the end result is a close

approximation of the colors people would see with their own eyes were they to visit the distant sight in a

spacecraft.

http://www.astropix....STROP/COLOR.HTM

I spent over ten bucks for that calendar.

Marketing merchandise...

Ok, one point for you. But Hubble wasnt send into orbit to produce images for calendars and I hope you are

aware of that fact

Here is that disgruntled NASA artist again in case you missed it: *snip idiotic vid*

What has a vid of a moron to do with the Hubble Telescope?

.... guidebook right here with no mention of the coloring process that makes those pics worth

looking at. It says things like " , the colorful HST image of the colliding Antennae Galaxies shows..."

Its all very wll explained on the Hubblesite:

Taking color pictures with the Hubble Space Telescope is much more complex than taking color pictures with a traditional

camera. For one thing, Hubble doesn't use color film — in fact, it doesn't use film at all. Rather, its cameras record light from

the universe with special electronic detectors. These detectors produce images of the cosmos not in color, but in shades

of black and white.http://hubblesite.or...color/index.php

But you do have calendar with Hubble color images, dont you? So whats yr claim here, if there is any at all?

Edited by toast

Where do you see art in combining arrays of numbers?

What gave you that idea? "Creating color images out of the original black-and-white exposures is equal parts art and science," NASA said.

Do you see geologist, hydrologists, conservationists (and other ists), who are using different combinations of spectral bands (provided by Landsat satellites), as being artists? You can get some info from "true color" images, but, if you look at the table in the link, you will see how much more info you can get by combining different bands.

Same with the Hubble.

What? The filters give general color ideas like a coloring book with clues. It's news (see subtitle) as far as I'm concerned. "The colors in Hubble images, which are assigned for various reasons, aren't always what we'd see if we were able to visit the imaged objects in a spacecraft. We often use color as a tool, whether it is to enhance an object's detail or to visualize what ordinarily could never be seen by the human eye." -hubble site

Edited by markprice

It seems to me that has to do with this absurd idea that NASA is lying to us. Well, if that is the real goal, then this thread should be located in the conspiracies section and not here.

I was banned from that section. "absurd idea NASA is lying to us." wow, do your homework.

Ok, one point for you. But Hubble wasnt send into orbit to produce images for calendars and I hope you are

aware of that fact

also:Hubble Canvas Prints and Hubble Canvas Art for Sale

What has a vid of a moron to do with the Hubble Telescope?

Someone brought it up. They do a lot of art at NASA and not all of it is disclosed as "art". That guy made a living at it.

But you do have calendar with Hubble color images, dont you? So whats yr claim here, if there is any at all?

My claim is shock. Most people assume hubble is recording visible light. Think of racing through the stars on star trek or whatever...none of that is visible. There is no visible light outside our atmosphere(except reflected off planets) WOW so when the hubble site says something like if you took a spaceship... You would see nothing at all.

Edited by markprice

There is no visible light outside our atmosphere

Really ? I could have sworn the sun would be visible in space. I guess this picture must have been faked then ?

The-Brightness-of_the-Sun_1600-1200.jpg?1315942368

Really ? I could have sworn the sun would be visible in space. I guess this picture must have been faked then ?

I should have said solar system. You can only see the sun and planets from outer space, not other suns(stars) etc. which you can only see through our atmosphere. Point is still kind of mind blowing to me: if you are in a spaceship you will see no stars. The concept of light years is then invisible light years in space: Radiation Years would be more accurate.

Edited by markprice

What gave you that idea? "Creating color images out of the original black-and-white exposures is equal parts art and science," NASA said.

Heh, you aren't familiar with concept of metaphor, aren't you?

What? The filters give general color ideas like a coloring book with clues. It's news (see subtitle) as far as I'm concerned. "The colors in Hubble images, which are assigned for various reasons, aren't always what we'd see if we were able to visit the imaged objects in a spacecraft. We often use color as a tool, whether it is to enhance an object's detail or to visualize what ordinarily could never be seen by the human eye." -hubble site

Ok, here is example cb2009-234.jpg

(link)

Do you think fields are painted in red and cyan (and other) colors? No:

TM bands 2 (green), 3 (red) and 4 (near-infrared) color coded as blue, green and red. Active vegetation appears bright red in this standard false-color composite.

(bolding mine)

Now you get it?

My claim is shock. Most people assume hubble is recording visible light. Think of racing through the stars on star trek or whatever...none of that is visible. There is no visible light outside our atmosphere WOW so when the hubble site says "this is what it would look like if you took a spaceship..." that's a lie. You would see nothing at all. They don't teach this stuff in school. They just assume you don't need to know that part then on with the program that explains everything else. Very strange IMO.

Most people... Heck, you'll find people that think that Europe is country with capital France... Just because people are lazy to find easy accessible information, that doesn't mean its NASA's fault.

Another thing, there are Hubble images that represent "true color", closely matching what you would see with your naked eye. And there are false color images, how else you would depict, say, UV spectral band? With black rectangle?

BTW, if you see X-ray photo of your broken hand, does it mean its fake? After all, you can't see X-rays.

PS here is handbook on WFC3 (wide field camera) with a $#!+ load of info. I'd recommend to read it for educational purposes.

Edit: ok, just realized nonsense you posted... WHAT??? There is no visible light outside our atmosphere. Who told you this bs???

Edited by bmk1245

I should have said solar system. You can only see the sun and planets from outer space, not other suns(stars) etc. which you can only see through our atmosphere. Point is still kind of mind blowing to me: if you are in a spaceship you will see no stars. The concept of light years is then invisible light years in space: Radiation Years would be more accurate.

If you can't see stars in space, please explain how the Hubble space telescope is able to take pictures of stars ?

Light years are a measure of distance, not visibility !

Where do you get those strange ideas from markprice ?

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy

If you can't see stars in space, please explain how the Hubble space telescope is able to take pictures of stars ?

Congratulations, you just discovered the point of this thread.

Light years are a measure of distance, not visibility !

Where do you get those strange ideas from markprice ?

Radiation years! "Light" is misleading because most people think they could see it all the way to its source. No, all stars go dark beyond our atmosphere.

Heh, you aren't familiar with concept of metaphor, aren't you?

I'm only here for the facts.

Ok, here is example cb2009-234.jpg

Try selling a print of that for $50.

(link)

Do you think fields are painted in red and cyan (and other) colors? No:

(bolding mine)

Now you get it?

Yeah like computer images are generated from three colors...

Most people... Heck, you'll find people that think that Europe is country with capital France... Just because people are lazy to find easy accessible information, that doesn't mean its NASA's fault.

Most people think STAR WARS would be visible...

Another thing, there are Hubble images that represent "true color", closely matching what you would see with your naked eye. And there are false color images, how else you would depict, say, UV spectral band? With black rectangle?

BTW, if you see X-ray photo of your broken hand, does it mean its fake? After all, you can't see X-rays.

The images are put together, assembled, with artistic input because they need to be awesome enough to fit the bill: THE GREATEST IMAGES OF THE UNIVERSE. That's my point.

Edit: ok, just realized nonsense you posted... WHAT??? There is no visible light outside our atmosphere. Who told you this bs???

I edited that already.

Congratulations, you just discovered the point of this thread.

Radiation years! "Light" is misleading because most people think they could see it all the way to its source. No, all stars go dark beyond our atmosphere.

You started by saying that the Hubble space telescope couldn't see colours.

But now you seem to imply that you can't see stars in space at all. http://blogs.discovery.com/inscider/2014/08/stars-in-photos-from-space.html

So I ask you again: If you can't see stars in space, what is the point of the Hubble space telescope ?

Are you implying that all of its images of stars are fakes ?

Let me repeat: A light year is a measure of distance (9.406.730.172.580kilometers). It has nothing to do with visibility or radiation. http://science.howstuffworks.com/dictionary/astronomy-terms/question94.htm

I'm only here for the facts.

[...]

I'm starting to doubt that.

[...]

Try selling a print of that for $50.

[...]

Here ya go, similar sells for ~$30.

[...]

Yeah like computer images are generated from three colors...

[...]

You really don't get it. OK, do you know what happens when you take picture with your digital camera? What digital signal processor in your camera does?

[...]

Most people think STAR WARS would be visible...

[...]

Now you lost me... What the hell STAR WARS has to do with HST???

[...]

The images are put together, assembled, with artistic input because they need to be awesome enough to fit the bill: THE GREATEST IMAGES OF THE UNIVERSE. That's my point.

[...]

Would you be satisfied, if images would be taken in the same way your phone/camcorder does? Except of different arrangement of different filters (i.e. ultraviolet instead of red, far infrared instead of blue, and narrow band yellow instead of green)

[...]

I edited that already.

Really? I see same $#!+ still hanging...

I was banned from that section. "absurd idea NASA is lying to us." wow, do your homework.

So, after being banned there, you come with this trolling post to this section? ok, I get it now :rolleyes:

You started by saying that the Hubble space telescope couldn't see colours.

Right.
But now you seem to imply that you can't see stars in space at all.
Exactly.
So I ask you again: If you can't see stars in space, what is the point of the Hubble space telescope ?

Are you implying that all of its images of stars are fakes ?

It's good for nasa's image?

Let me repeat: A light year is a measure of distance (9.406.730.172.580kilometers). It has nothing to do with visibility or radiation. http://science.howst.../question94.htm

Irrelevant. We are dealing with perception not time.

So, after being banned there, you come with this trolling post to this section? ok, I get it now :rolleyes:

You call this trolling?

You really don't get it. OK, do you know what happens when you take picture with your digital camera? What digital signal processor in your camera does?

Well when I break out my gray radiation camera then throw on some filters and then run it through a team of artists I get really cool results?

Now you lost me... What the hell STAR WARS has to do with HST???

PERCEPTION. People think stars are visible like in the movies.

Would you be satisfied, if images would be taken in the same way your phone/camcorder does? Except of different arrangement of different filters (i.e. ultraviolet instead of red, far infrared instead of blue, and narrow band yellow instead of green)

Really? I see same $#!+ still hanging...

What is still confusing you then? Look, it is admitted: if you were to see what hubble sees, and no-one ever will, it would not look much like the hubble pictures. Got it?

But now you seem to imply that you can't see stars in space at all. http://blogs.discove...from-space.html

Okay, check this out, from your link: " NASA scientists explain that "the camera was unable to capture the light emitted from the stars because the bright sunlight hitting the moon's surface washes out the light from the stars."

^^^^^That is a NASA lie^^^^^^

Here you go: "If you took a trip to the moon or outer space, the only glowing bodies you will be able to see are within our solar system. There won’t be a star in sight. Many find this to be interesting. Star light can only be viewed within Earth Atmosphere.

Did You Know That Stars are Not Visible From Space? | Scienceray

You're welcome.