Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jimmy Carter: U.S. Is an 'Oligarchy

bubblykiss

Former President Jimmy Carter had some harsh words to say about the current state of America's electoral process, calling the country "an oligarchy with unlimited political bribery" resulting in "nominations for president or to elect the president." When asked this week by The Thom Hartmann Program (via The Intercept) about the Supreme Court's April 2014 decision to eliminate limits on campaign donations, Carter said the ruling "violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system."

Not gonna lie, I am sad that the old man lived long enough to see it.

• Like 5

Every once in a while the old coot says something that's right. Broken watches are right twice a day... The U.S. is an oligarchy, and a fascist one at that..

• Like 3

"it's a big club and you ain't in it" --GC

"I would never belong to a club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

• Like 4

The Politicians and those in Politics knew it all this while ... it was the people that did not see

• Like 3

The USA is ruled by an oligarchy of the super-rich. It's been this way for awhile now. A very small minority of people have a very large portion of the wealth and with it they rule in a manner similar to old world nobility. The American experiment is essentially over, with the destruction of the middle class the super-rich now control everything.

• Like 4

Thanks OP for the share. I have to say I am pleasantly shocked by the responses thus far. It feels like in years past this kind of post would have been met with an outpouring of partisanship rage and false patriotic hyperbole. The world is awakening.....good ****.

• Like 2

You don't have to pacify a population to rule them, you just have to fix it so they fight amongst themselves, not against you.

• Like 6

• The permanent temptation of life is to confuse dreams with reality. The permanent defeat of life comes when dreams are surrendered to reality.

• If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might better stay home.

• An age is called Dark, not because the light fails to shine, but because people refuse to see it.

• For this is the journey that men and women make, to find themselves. If they fail in this, it doesn't matter much else what they find.

Quotes by James A. Michener wikiquote link

~

• Like 1

The worse thing that ever happened to our political system is to allow unlimited donations. Now the 1% rule by proxy. So whats the big deal about Trumps billions, he is just out front with it intead of in the shadows.

• Like 2

Never thought I would hear Jimmie Carter say something I agreed with.

That must be because you only know about Carter what the reactionary mouthpieces say about him. He said many things you cannot but agree with.

You don't have to pacify a population to rule them, you just have to fix it so they fight amongst themselves, not against you.

Gaius Julius Caesar, if I am not mistaken.

• Like 2

Gaius Julius Caesar, if I am not mistaken.

No, Leo - 2015.

Dunno if "Big J" said something similar, and I know it's close to the maxim from Sun Tzu regarding "divide and conquer", but in this case there isn't even a need to conquer - the people do that to themselves.

Fundamentally, all you need to do to control a society is control its economy. You don't need politics, or the military, or religion, etc. But if you create divisions in those things, then the people won't even notice you control the economy (and them) because they'll be too busy bickering about all the other stuff.

People know the government controls the economy and that's fine with them. And they don't bicker about all the other stuff to the exclusion of the economy. They bicker about precisely how the government should control the economy. "It's the economy, stupid." has become famous in US politics

Some of you posters are surprised you agree with Carter about something? So there must be a huge list on what you disagree with Carter on. This will tie back in nicely to the Oligarchy itself if any of you surprised people are brave enough to go there.