Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

California 'booms' mystery has been solved

UM-Bot

Researchers have finally identified what has been causing loud booming sounds across the state.

Residents of California's Gold Country had been left perplexed by the noise which mysteriously started up last year and seemed to occur mainly between 11:00 a. m. and 2:00 p. m on weekdays.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...has-been-solved

• Like 1

So what about the rest of the booms heard worldwide?

Ive heard the "badly played cello" noises here on the west coast of Canada on more than one occasion,

Ive heard the "badly played cello" noises here on the west coast of Canada on more than one occasion,

Yeah this is a pretty weak explanation. Maybe it explains the "booms" in one instance, but this article makes it sound like a pretty regular thing that all the locals should be used to

A similar thing happened in the UK where a strange loud buzzing/humming sound would sometimes occur at random for 20 - 40 mins at a time, every few days in a certain month each year. It could be heard up to 30 miles away and the source took years to locate but finally they located it to a type of fish in the sea that cause a form of humming by shaking their bodies when mating. On their own it was inaudible but in their millions it would vibrate the sea and although the mating would occur constantly the entire month, the sea-hum would only magnify and carry itself whenever heavy rain clouds were building up.

The sound from the fish were weak but in large volumes of fish it would cause an inaudible hum from the sea, but that hum bouncing off clouds would make it slightly audible to humans, and the denser the moisture in the clouds, the stronger that audible hum would get until it was loud and clear 30 miles away.

It, like this article, all comes down to soundwaves and how they are reflected and magnified with environment, atmosphere and other factors.

• Like 2

I used to live within 30 mile of a bombing range. I could never hear them going off, but I could feel them in my chest.

There is never going to be a single reason for an unexplained sound. I get suspicious at single causes. Some of the reasons for these unexplained sounds are construction, mining, aircraft, animals, weather, and meteors.

• Like 2

A similar thing happened in the UK where a strange loud buzzing/humming sound would sometimes occur at random for 20 - 40 mins at a time, every few days in a certain month each year. It could be heard up to 30 miles away and the source took years to locate but finally they located it to a type of fish in the sea that cause a form of humming by shaking their bodies when mating. On their own it was inaudible but in their millions it would vibrate the sea and although the mating would occur constantly the entire month, the sea-hum would only magnify and carry itself whenever heavy rain clouds were building up.

The sound from the fish were weak but in large volumes of fish it would cause an inaudible hum from the sea, but that hum bouncing off clouds would make it slightly audible to humans, and the denser the moisture in the clouds, the stronger that audible hum would get until it was loud and clear 30 miles away.

It, like this article, all comes down to soundwaves and how they are reflected and magnified with environment, atmosphere and other factors.

I would like to learn more about this story, could you point me to a source or an article? Thanks.

I thought that since these booms were reported in many different areas of the world and they all started about the same time that the issue on a global scale is a change in the acoustics of the atmosphere. What causes this change to re-distribute sound waves in unfamiliar ways isn't presently clear, but it could have to do with an atmospheric pressure ratio or a density ratio or the introduction of new elements and chemicals into the atmosphere that morphs the way that sound waves travel.

I used to live within 30 mile of a bombing range. I could never hear them going off, but I could feel them in my chest.

That happens a lot in combat, where people can hear a battle far away but people closer to it can not. It's called an acoustic shadow.

wondering what kind of experiments were truly responsible with tha boon...

Oh so this is the cover-up story we've given the papers, ha. So very simple. Yeah, it was just disposal of munitions. I can verify that to y'all.

Craters are dug out in the desert, the munitions loaded in, covered over with the soil, and then tanks fire at the mounds to detonate them. That's the mechanics of the operation. As for the booms heard worldwide, that can be simply explained by the fact that the explosions reverberate. They're mostly all taking place in California as we speak. Occasionally elsewhere, top secret, but currently California is responsible.

Craters are dug out in the desert, the munitions loaded in, covered over with the soil, and then tanks fire at the mounds to detonate them. That's the mechanics of the operation. As for the booms heard worldwide, that can be simply explained by the fact that the explosions reverberate. They're mostly all taking place in California as we speak. Occasionally elsewhere, top secret, but currently California is responsible.

I don't think they are using tanks. Typically just a piece of plastics and a detonator tend to suffice.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

Trust me, I know what's typically used. Pieces of plastic and detonators? Or tanks? Which sounds playschool and which sounds like the actual deal. Do these soldiers go around with plastic and time on their hands or do they drive around with bulking great tanks? Exactly, I rest my case. It's quite prehistoric, but military and governments generally are. I can verify that.

Edited by CIA_Spy

Some of these unidentified booms seem to stem from hot slag from steel-mills - when they accidentally drop too hot slag in cooling pools - or even when they leave the slag outdoors on the ground and heavy rains starts. It can be a hell of a boom of this instant cooling.

It's called a fuel-coolant interaction when molten steel meets water.

The result is a massive and violent explosion of steam and fragmented bits of slag.

That's what happened twice at Essar Steel Algoma twice in the past year.

The first time was in July at #7 blastfurnace and the second was today at the slag pits west of the mill.

As loud and dramatic an event as the steam explosion is, it's not really a danger to anyone - unless they are very close to the site of that explosion.

"Those who work around these conditions are well aware of these conditions and take proper precautions."

So what are people concerned about?

First, it's the sound and the fact that its source is unknown.

"Sunday Morning 11 a.m. a blast somewhere near the westside of the steel plant area," wrote one loyal SooToday.com reader. "Shook my house, on Chippewa, shook my dads house on St. Patricks street followed by a plume of smoke."

"It was soooooo loud I watched three dogs run down my street like the fear of God was in them."

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/details.asp?c=40029

http://www.northernlife.ca/news/localNews/2015/01/06-vale-slag-dumping-sound-sudbury.aspx'

Hot slag causes boom at LTV

EAST CHICAGO - LTV steel let off some steam Wednesday night, prompting one

resident to call about a large explosion about 10:30 at the firm's Harbor Works

at 3100 Dickey Road.

Whiting resident Don Shannon, 18, was parked in Whiting Park with a friend

when they saw a bright light and heard a loud "boom" coming from the Harbor

Works. "It looked like a big firework," Shannon said.

But an LTV spokeswoman and the East Chicago Fire Department said the

conflagration was caused by hot slag hitting a pool of water. "This sometimes

happens when it rains," the spokeswoman said.

http://www.nwitimes.com/uncategorized/hot-slag-causes-boom-at-ltv/article_27bb25dc-72b5-58b9-9dbc-d54b243dcfd9.html

I'm in the Palm Springs area and sometimes, we heard sonic booms from air force jets going faster than the speed of sound, so it may leave a "BOOM" noise above us. The CA desert has many US Armed forces installations and activity, as well in nearby AZ and NV, and of course, San Diego has its bases (the city's largest employer is the US Armed forces). I heard a few of them myself, somewhat compared to a LOUD gun shot in the air and can vibrate or shake the ground for like 2-3 seconds.

Trust me, I know what's typically used. Pieces of plastic and detonators? Or tanks? Which sounds playschool and which sounds like the actual deal. Do these soldiers go around with plastic and time on their hands or do they drive around with bulking great tanks? Exactly, I rest my case. It's quite prehistoric, but military and governments generally are. I can verify that.

Great, we love verifiable data here so please do so.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 3

Uhm, EOD teams don't use tanks. They use small pieces of C4 or similar that they attach to whatever they want to get rid of and then detonate it from a distance.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Uhm, EOD teams don't use tanks. They use small pieces of C4 or similar that they attach to whatever they want to get rid of and then detonate it from a distance.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Cheers,

Badeskov

I have every idea, the problem is you don't. What's an EOD team for chrissake? Look, they do use tanks, not always, sometimes they're out of fuel because they burn through it like nobody's business, right, so yes you're correct; when the tanks are being charged the teams go out there with C4's blazing. That tends to be because they've got spare C4's lying around like party poppers and they want to use them up. In other words, if they're out there with C-freakin'-4's it's because they want to get rid of the C4's - hell, the C4's are the munitions, so yes, you're correct. C4's bunched up into a small mountain and detonated from behind Joshua trees or fig trees and such.

What part of **Back on Topic** are you guys not getting?

The topic is mysterious booms in CA, CIA-Spy's response is tanks blowing up explosive caches and "firing off C-4s". Do we stay on topic by not challenging his unlikely explanation and knowledge of what he is talking about?

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

CIA_Spy

If you are asked by a moderator to stop doing something that they deem is disruptive then you stop. If you further wish to discuss the issue you may send a pm to the moderator and discuss it politely offline.

If you're confused please take the time to review the forum rules

• Like 1