Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fading cosmos quantified in 21 colours

Waspie_Dwarf

Fading cosmos quantified in 21 colours

A team of astronomers has published a multi-coloured survey of five chunks of space - and offered the best estimate yet of how fast the Universe is fading.

They analysed the light from 200,000 galaxies in 21 wavelengths and found that the energy output of the Universe has nearly halved in two billion years.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 2

fading? i'm not sure i like the sound of that.

It is rather difficult to get ones head around the fact that the beauty and brilliance of the cosmos is slowly fading away.

• Like 1

Oh, dear - I better get the washing in..

• Like 2

wake me up in a billion years....

We're a few billion years in and with trillions to go and we're calling it old age? It is more like when kids can eat a whole pizza (or even two!) by themselves, and then when you turn 30, you eat only half a pizza, and then when you are 45, you eat only two or three slices, and then when you are OLD, you don't eat pizza at all.

I'd say the universe right now is still a young adult. And we still have adulthood and middle age to go.

Or perhaps it will be entering into a new phase, not necesserely dying forevermore. Some scientists agree with a type of Big Bounce

model. But in any case the right conditions were there in the first place for the Big Bang - the beginning or the (pocket?) Universe - to

happen so you've got to wonder how and why such event came to be at all. Why, it surely isn't a one-time only occurance.

Edited by Phenix20

There is the Big Crunch idea where everything pulls back toward a singularity. I'd imagine when stuff started getting closer and closer together things would seem to be brighter.

There is also the Big Chill idea where the universe keeps expanding, but the matter in the universe doesn't change, so stuff gets further and further apart. Maybe that is kind of what is being seen? The universe is expanding to the point where it just seems darker? And in actuality the same amount of photons are being put out..... :w00t:

If you point a flashlight (A "torch" for you UK people) across a big room, it does not appear very bright, yet when you shine the same beam on your hand or at your feet, it appears much brighter.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

Do not go gentle into that good cosmic night, An old universe should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

• Like 2

Oh, dear - I better get the washing in..

images%205_zpsmlb8cjk4.jpg

:w00t:

• Like 1

Do not go gentle into that good cosmic night, An old universe should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

I like what you did with that line - Dylan Thomas is a wonderful poet.

images%2056_zpsnvbiulmq.jpg

One thing to consider is that the expansion of the universe is not a case of the galaxies moving away from each other (although this is the main consequence) but the faster and faster actual expansion of space-time itself.

Try for a few moments to form a mental picture of how or what that actually means -- not recommended for those prone to migranes.

One thing to consider is that the expansion of the universe is not a case of the galaxies moving away from each other (although this is the main consequence) but the faster and faster actual expansion of space-time itself.

Try for a few moments to form a mental picture of how or what that actually means -- not recommended for those prone to migranes.

That is how I understand it. Basically those galaxies that are super far away and appear to be moving away from us at hugee speeds.... are not. Most of what is being observed is the expansion of space between that galaxy and ours. I don't think the galaxies are actually moving very fast at all.