Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

(Not so) FREE SPEECH in Canada soon?

and-then

At the point it incites violence, before that: Stick and stones...

• Like 3

You have free speach in Canada unless it is directed hate. That is why the WBBC can not come to Canada nore the KKK to do any protests or rallys. Which both groups have tried in the past.

Now onto the Article. Quebec law has outlawed English Signs. It is the only place to get PFK instead of KFC and now want to force major buisness to translate their names to french. Quebec is it's own special place.

Edited by Thanato
  • Like 2

i was thinking to myself "Now, what's the betting this is going to be about Islam"? And i was right.

• Like 1

Ha... try publishing anything related to the WW2 holocaust revisionism in Canada. Go ahead... I dare you.

• Like 3

This is dumb, you should always have the right to criticize any radical group or anyone as long as its true.

See Islam is changing your laws for you. Pretty soon the women in Canada will be wearing berkas.

Are they going to stop this, goes both ways. From the OP's article.

The hypocrisy of Islamists invoking victimhood when it comes to hate speech is laughable. Multiple times every day, Islamists have no problem depicting Jews as "those who have earned Allah's anger" and Christians as "those who have gone astray" in their prayers, both at home and in the mosque. Then they cry foul when their man-made Sharia laws written in the eighth and ninth centuries are critiqued, sometimes by their fellow Muslims.

I think its great not all Muslims are for this and will go after them for their own hate speech if it is. I think they are smart enough to know if you let them get a foot in the door pretty soon Sharia law will follow.

Edited by Ashotep
  • Like 1

This is dumb, you should always have the right to criticize any radical group or anyone as long as its true.

See Islam is changing your laws for you. Pretty soon the women in Canada will be wearing berkas.

Are they going to stop this, goes both ways. From the OP's article.

You are not allowed to invoke hate in Canada, that is against the law. Women in Canada will not be forced to wear burka's any time in the foreseeable future.

Ha... try publishing anything related to the WW2 holocaust revisionism in Canada. Go ahead... I dare you.

Well that is because it would be lying. Try doing that in most western nations.

• Like 5

You are not allowed to invoke hate in Canada, that is against the law. Women in Canada will not be forced to wear burka's any time in the foreseeable future.

So you're not allowed to believe any version of history except the official version? Mind you I'm not saying the holocaust didn't happen just the way it's depicted in the books, but let's say you believed that the US government were well aware Pearl Harbor was to be attacked by Japan and allowed Americans to be attacked just to get in the war which it's citizens were against entering. Could you say that even though there is no proof and it would make the US government of the time traitorous to it's citizens?
  • Like 1

• Like 1

What would a holocaust revisionist be lying about? For instance in 1989 the Polish and Russia GOV's revised the official dead at the infamous Auschwitz camp down to 1.1 million from the previous 4 million number which the Soviets pegged shortly after the war ended and was used as the official number. Weren't you taught that number in school?

Let that sink in for a moment.

• Like 1

What would a holocaust revisionist be lying about? For instance in 1989 the Polish and Russia GOV's revised the official dead at the infamous Auschwitz camp down to 1.1 million from the previous 4 million number which the Soviets pegged shortly after the war ended and was used as the official number. Weren't you taught that number in school?

honestly I can't recall what I was taught in school on the matter as it was while ago.

But what I do know is approx 12 million people died in the Holocaust.

so, you are going to adhere to that verdict in Germany (sometime in the 60s) where a Auschwitz henchman just got few years because the judge determined he killed only a small percentage of those he was accused of?

• Like 1

This has always been a curious thing to me. Despite all the horrible atrocities throughout history, some of which were much worse than the holocaust, why is it the only event we aren't allowed to question? I don't understand the reasoning behind that. It affected a very small population when taking numbers in to account compared to, let's say the Rape of Nanking or Stalin's crimes or General Mao....but I could write a revisionist book about any one of those tomorrow and nobody bats an eye. Why the double standard?

PS - I'm not looking to revise anything, just taking this opportunity to explore the reasoning here as I've never understood it.

• Like 3

so, you are going to adhere to that verdict in Germany (sometime in the 60s) where a Auschwitz henchman just got few years because the judge determined he killed only a small percentage of those he was accused of?

Nope. Im not going to adhere to that verdict Q. I fact I've never heard it. If an individual is convicted of killing only one person indiscriminately he/she should be given a life sentence with no chance of future integration with the rest of society IMO.

Listen, when 911 happened and almost 30 thousand people were killed in the twin towers as a result of the greatest terrorist attack on American soil in history I decided to revise what I was taught in history classes in school. I feel in order to better understand what is going on today regarding foreign and economic policy its more important to study every little detail of previous history. As you do as well I'm sure.

Edited by acidhead
  • Like 1

Listen, when 911 happened and almost 30 thousand people were killed in the twin towers as a result of the greatest terrorist attack on American soil in history I decided to revise what I was taught in history classes in school.

3 thousand, not 30 thousand.

• Like 3

3 thousand, not 30 thousand.

Did you just revise his history? :tu:

• Like 3

What does it matter?

If it doesn't matter, then why raise the subject? You knew the difference, but just don't care.

Edited by Likely Guy

This bills worries me in terms of how far I am willing to let the governement tweak with my civil liberties but at the same time it's true that hate speech is a problem. Some clarifications by the PM reassures me but I guess we will se how that plays out in the coming months.

“We’re still listening to people coming to the hearings but we want to say very very loud and clear that we don’t want to obstruct freedom of expression in Quebec. Freedom of expression means saying stupid things or even ridiculous things, and then it’s up to you, it’s up to us to say why it’s ridiculous and why it shouldn’t be said, but not to bar somebody from saying this.”

“The line has to be traced in the sand though, and for us the line is calling for violence. This is what we want to do, this is what we want to achieve and hopefully with the hearings we’ll find a good balance,” Couillard said.

Source: http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/couillard-says-freedom-of-speech-includes-right-to-utter-stupidities

Edited by Phenix20

Now onto the Article. Quebec law has outlawed English Signs. It is the only place to get PFK instead of KFC and now want to force major buisness to translate their names to french. Quebec is it's own special place.

There is a legitimate concern here that the French language may loose ground or even disappear in subsequent generations if measures are not taken to protect it. While I personally find some of these measures a bit extreme at times, it's true that we are after all a minority nation part of a greater whole that is Canada.

PS: Poulet Frit Kentucky seems weird I admit but this is actually a nice little effort by this American fast-food chain to recognize the native language.

Edited by Phenix20
  • Like 1

If it doesn't matter, then why raise the subject? You knew the difference, but just don't care.

I demonstrated an exercise in detail. The facts. It's important.

• Like 2

You have free speach in Canada unless it is directed hate. That is why the WBBC can not come to Canada nore the KKK to do any protests or rallys. Which both groups have tried in the past.

Does that mean it's technically illegal to give a speech that someone hates McDonalds in Canada because of low quality food? I mean, that's just an opinion and that person doing nothing but venting their hate of the place.

Does that mean it's technically illegal to give a speech that someone hates McDonalds in Canada because of low quality food? I mean, that's just an opinion and that person doing nothing but venting their hate of the place.

No, It is illegal to basically be a racist biggot in Canada, that is basically what the hate laws are for.

• Like 1