Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gaslighting

Grandpa Greenman

I saw this article and I thought everyone should read this. I see this happening to a lot of people. It seems when you are in the situation you don't see it, but when it is pointed out you it becomes very clear. This doesn't just happen to women, it happens to men, too.

10 Things I’ve Learned About Gaslighting As An Abuse Tactic

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/08/things-wish-known-gaslighting/

• Like 2

Many years ago I lived through this...it was the darkest time in my life. I highly suggest that everyone become familiar with the tactics emotional abusers use to dominate/control their victims.

• Like 2

After a while, I just stopped talking to him. Apparently I think very highly of my own perceptions, because it never got out of stage one.

I guess that is the best thing to do. If you can't educate them in what they are doing. I was in a Pagan group not long ago and they were doing it to me. I didn't know there was a name for it. I would have just called them out on it and educated them, if I had known what it was they were doing. But I just walked away. My sister in law does it to my brother and he is a psychologist. I sent the article to him, but he may actually know what it going on. If she hadn't had a stroke, I am sure he would have gotten out of the relationship. Last time I visited them it nearly brought me to tears to watch how she treated him, she is a classic case.

I clicked on this thread thinking it was an article about gas lighting .... literally! I thought it would be an 'eco'/environment article :hmm:. I clicked on the link anyway and found it extremely interesting ..... I read several other articles at the site too! So thank you for posting it OP.

I have a friend who has been in this kind of relationship for almost 15yrs. Her reasons for staying are they have a child together and she 'loves' him. I gave up discussing this with her years ago.

The article seems mostly to have a good grasp of the basics but it's a very amateurish, perhaps intentionally, approach to the actual problem. Both the aggressor and the victim traits in this article are accurate in most cases, but this entire issue is part of something else that is a clinically recognized and documented issues, not just some pop psychology buzzword.

This is about malignant narcissism and their victims. If people are truly serious about studying this type of thing, either about themselves or others, they should look into books, sites, papers and videos on narcissism that could actually provide solid information and resources and not a generic facebook style pigeon-holeing. I recommend watching some of Sam Vaknin's (a full narcissist himself) videos if nothing else, to get you started.

Edited by Paranormalcy
  • Like 1

I've watched two more videos besides the one above ...... they're very good. Very easy to follow. Thanks for posting :tsu:

@Paranormalcy: All I would say about the first part of your post is that it works as a 'taster'. I had never heard the expression 'gaslighting' before and the article gave me a quick definition of it that didn't stretch me! If that's what draws someone in and makes them look a bit more closely at their own situation then that's great.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I lived this for 5 years on and off, in my first serious relationship. It kinda messed me up for a while because I thought that's how all relationships were supposed to be. (Hey I was young, I started dating him at 14.) He never laid a hand on me physically, but absolutely ****ed me up mentally. Emotional abuse is a very real thing.

Luckily I had the support of awesome friends/family and I'm in a much healthier, happier relationship now. :)

Edited by equiiaddict
  • Like 1