Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Area 51 private family/mine fight

Sakari

This may not be " UFO " related, more so maybe to US Government or News. Mods can move at will.

Figured more reading would be done here.

Nevada family fights government over property near Area 51

Link and video :

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/news/nevada-family-fights-government-over-property-near-area-51

• Like 2

That's why I call them Nazis. Good luck to them, they'll need it

"So, isn't it ironic that on September 11th, the United States government is going to finish the last act of what can only be described as a criminal act to take our property," Joe Sheahan said. "On September 11th, I just find that ironic. Sad."

Except as bull**** of a reason as it may be, eminent domain is not a criminal act.

• Like 2

$5.2 million

Why not just take the money, its not pittance. Being offered $5.2 million is not exactly just stealing their property, it may not be right morally, but many people have lost their land for a whole lot less than this.

• Like 1

Sooo... Their ancestors took that land from natives (whatever tribe roamed there)... Was it fair?

Sooo.... " that is the way we all ways did it " is ok?

Love that philosophy We should all live that way.

I need to read more on this, I really just watched the video from the News. ( lazy today ). If this is like that cattle crap that went on ( end he never paid those taxes ) I may change my mind.

Sooo.... " that is the way we all ways did it " is ok?

Love that philosophy We should all live that way.

I need to read more on this, I really just watched the video from the News. ( lazy today ). If this is like that cattle crap that went on ( end he never paid those taxes ) I may change my mind.

Heh, what goes around comes around...

After all, they are being offered $$$.

• Like 1

Sucks for these people if this is family land they've had for generations and blah blah blah. But lets be realistic here. This is area 51 we're talking about. Any court will immediately decide that it is a matter of national security, if they even acknowledge the existence of the base. Take the money. They're not going to get a better deal and they are going to lose.

• Like 3

Heh, what goes around comes around...

After all, they are being offered $$$.

Personally, I would take $1 million and retire.

I just have never been in a position to lose a homestead, that my family had been part of for a very long time. That must hurt.

I do hate the " that's the way it's all ways been ", or the " we did it to the Indians " approach though. 2 wrongs do not make it right.....And if we were going to be true to that, a lot of us need to pack up and go back to Europe/Africa/Mexico/China/Japan/Etc to right that wrong.

Sucks for these people if this is family land they've had for generations and blah blah blah. But lets be realistic here. This is area 51 we're talking about. Any court will immediately decide that it is a matter of national security, if they even acknowledge the existence of the base. Take the money. They're not going to get a better deal and they are going to lose.

I was having similar thoughts. Regardless of whatever sentimentality the owners of the 400-acre property may have with that property this is a matter of national security and the property owners are ultimately going to lose.

Personally I would take that $5.2M and buy myself a home in Hawaii or something. Ha.

• Like 3

If it were me I'd try to negotiate that the monies be exchanged free of taxes including any taxes drawn from future interest by the sum in savings or investment. Essentially tax free for life.

Sooo... Their ancestors took that land from natives (whatever tribe roamed there)... Was it fair?

It so was not, and the natives were not offered $5.2million for it. This family really need to be grateful they are being offered this much, many people have lost their land, have had their ancestors land taken away from them, am a bit repulsed that this family have the nerve to say $5.2milion is like stealing their property......they have never had land "stolen" off them.

• Like 1

There is no way you could know that. My family actually bought 900 acres from the Native Americans. I'm not sure exactly what they paid, but I am sure it would sound like a pittance compaired to today's standards.

• Like 1

[...]

I do hate the " that's the way it's all ways been ", or the " we did it to the Indians " approach though. 2 wrongs do not make it right.....And if we were going to be true to that, a lot of us need to pack up and go back to Europe/Africa/Mexico/China/Japan/Etc to right that wrong.

i know, I know, I'm just fooling around. My family (as far as I know) had many ups and downs, gains and losses, did many rights and wrongs, hence my cynicism.

As for OP story, its quite simple: raising waves in media as they want more money. And I'm pretty sure, if they would have been offered $52mil, they would go for $520mil, etc.

• Like 3

And those natives took that land from someother tribe.

What are we supposed to do, do a DNA check when someone owns every land deed?

Don't mean to point at you personally, but it really is a stupid game. They are not responsible for crap that happened generations ago. The fact that they are the current legal landowner makes it 'right'.

Yes, it was a sucky thing to have happen, but do we have to wring our hands with guilt every moment of the day?