Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did US troops encounter Bigfoot in Vietnam ?

UM-Bot

A significant number of soldiers reported encounters with an ape-like creature in the jungles of Vietnam.

Stories of large hairy hominids have cropped up in many parts of the world - most notably in Russia, North America, Australia and the Himalayas. One of the lesser known such legends however hails from Vietnam - in particular from the time of the Vietnam War from the 1950s to the 1970s.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/286016/did-us-troops-encounter-bigfoot-in-vietnam

• Like 1

Best thing to do if you can not prove a fake creature for over 50 years......

Invent a new spot for it.

If it was only 5 feet tall it isn't a Bigfoot, probably a Littlefoot.

• Like 4

Is it actually possible for a creature of this size to hide for this long?

Being as large as they are it would be almost impossible not to track.

Unless these creatures possess some kind of ability to levitate around seldomly putting down a foot to tease the human community. Then also, they would have some kind of cloaking device(similar to ufos), that would distort any and all cameras They would be cold blooded due to the fact we can't ever find them on thermal. Lastly their diet would consist of berries and their own hair(it's got to be some where).

In the end we have some sort of advanced race of hairy hominids running a muck in forests around the world playing games with us primitive beings.

Edited by FTWind

GIs in Vietnam were not always perfectly disciplined: I suspect at least one of them would have shot a mystery ape dead just to say he'd done it, or blazed away thinking it was a hostile in a ghillie suit. So, no body, no critter....

The thing is is that in these areas the notion of a cryptid such as a Bigfoot type of creature doesn't cause huge stirs of imagination like it does there.

The areas they've been reported to be in are remote,and there isn't a huge community in those places willing to spend a week or 2 out hunting for them. They simply don't care or don't have the time nor energy for the endeavor.

Look at the great ape. A rumor for centered in Africa. You'd think that white man would have ran across them a million times and brought back evidence before they were actually "discovered".

Not being able to find something and knowing where they are, these are not mutually exclusive to eachother.

The thing is is that in these areas the notion of a cryptid such as a Bigfoot type of creature doesn't cause huge stirs of imagination like it does there.

The areas they've been reported to be in are remote,and there isn't a huge community in those places willing to spend a week or 2 out hunting for them. They simply don't care or don't have the time nor energy for the endeavor.

Look at the great ape. A rumor for centered in Africa. You'd think that white man would have ran across them a million times and brought back evidence before they were actually "discovered".

Not being able to find something and knowing where they are, these are not mutually exclusive to eachother.

you must be speaking of the time in which no one really cared about finding new animals just expanding. This is why all the new land animals we are discovering comprise of insects, small mammals and small reptiles. Nothing of any considerable size. There are no more large land animals let alone a giant hairy ape man that leaves no trace of its existence. Which I hate to say unless it's watched every episode of NCIS it's very unlikely it exsists. Edited by FTWind

If these stories are untrue, how do we account for them being told?

My dad is a Vietnam vet. He told me stories of "rock apes". He said many guys saw them chucking rocks at helicopters.

Tell your dad that since we live in such PC times these days, we now have to refer to them as the "North Vietnamese" unfortunately. :tu:

I'm not going to call Vietnam vets liars, but this is one of those things that would have to be seen to be believed.

• Like 1

One of the guys at work told a tale of how he was on patrol with his platoon. They were walking along a trail and encountered an "orangutan". The guys were joking around when they saw it and one fellow bet the others he could knock it out. So he goes up and smacks it in the head. The co-worker then relates how it took the whole platoon to pull the "orangutan" off the guy and shoot it before it could kill the guy.

I told him that Orangutans didn't live in Vietnam, but he swears he didn't make the story up.

• Like 1

U.S. troops were doing so much drugs in vietnam that they not only saw big foot, they also saw, the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, Little orphan Annie, Aliens and every character from Dr. Seuss.

• Like 1

Bigfoot could be magical.unicorns and dragons are mentioned in the bible.guess the only monsters people believe in nowadays are politicians and catholic priests

The notion everything has been discovered, that there are (almost) no unknown places and or flora / fauna left.. is absolute bs imo. We think we have 'tamed this earth', but venture off the beaten path for a moment and you will find this is certainly not the case.

• Like 2

I'd have to agree that though no one has gotten pictures, or a body of one of these apes, that doesn't mean they don't, or didn't at some time, exist. It is complete foolishness to believe we've discovered all large mammals. As the saola Hawkins posted shows.

As far as I know actual fossils of chimps are very hard to find. It is a quality of living in a rain forest. Everything gets recycled quickly.

I don't see how this is new. The stories of rock apes have been around for decades.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

If these stories are untrue, how do we account for them being told?

I have a nice piece of property to sell you.

The notion everything has been discovered, that there are (almost) no unknown places and or flora / fauna left.. is absolute bs imo. We think we have 'tamed this earth', but venture off the beaten path for a moment and you will find this is certainly not the case.

I totally agree. To think we know everything is arrogance. The Coelacanth and Pygmy Right Whale was once thought extinct only

to be rediscovered. Some might say that's comparing apples to oranges but no matter how you slice it, you still have bread.

So an unverified bigfoot creature exists in almost every country on the planet?

Too hard for me to believe.

There are some rather dense forests in that area.. Pretty sure there are a few primate species as well. I have to look into more though.

There are some rather dense forests in that area.. Pretty sure there are a few primate species as well. I have to look into more though.

Same thing people say about the PNW, Texas, Florida, etc.

It is as I said. When the fantasy can not be proven in one area for over 50 years ( more than that ), it is time for people to take it to another place.

• Like 1

Same thing people say about the PNW, Texas, Florida, etc.

It is as I said. When the fantasy can not be proven in one area for over 50 years ( more than that ), it is time for people to take it to another place.

I agree that its most likely not existing or alive today. However stories of these things date back pretty far into our past, when we didn't popular a large portion of the world. I think that maybe man did see these things for a bit longer than we believe, but the chance that they are thriving all around the world does draw a bit of a line