Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists reveal color of prehistoric bats

UM-Bot

Samples of fossilized fur have made it possible to determine what color bats were 49 million years ago.

While there is much we can learn about dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures from their fossil remains, one of the most difficult things to determine is what color they all were.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...rehistoric-bats

• Like 1

From OP article: '"Well, the bats are brown. It might not be a big surprise, but that's what these 49-million-year-old bats are. So they looked perfectly like modern bats,"

Oh nice, old bats, new bats, same colour.

'Well, the bats are brown' made me lol. :su

• Like 2

And this is important how? I mean did they seriously think the ancient bats were purple or orange or chartreuse?

Well, it's another footnote to add to the biology books I guess.

• Like 1

Considering nearly all bats are shades of brown, exactly what were they expecting, kelly green?

I was hoping for a nice subtle neon green and orange, tiger stripe effect maybe also with large shiney silver polka dots...

• Like 1

I was hoping for a nice subtle neon green and orange, tiger stripe effect maybe also with large shiney silver polka dots...

If they're not, then this isn't a news story.

• Like 1