Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] U.S. airstrike hit hospital in Afghanistan

Michelle

KABUL — An airstrike apparently carried out by U.S. forces heavily damaged a charitable hospital in northern Afghanistan on Saturday, killing at least 19 people — three of them reportedly children — in an incident that a senior U.N. official equated to a war crime.

The airstrike occurred before dawn when a Doctors Without Borders trauma center in war-torn Kunduz was struck while doctors were treating dozens of patients. Hospital officials said they were assaulted from the air for 30 to 45 minutes, resulting in a large fire that burned some patients to death in their beds. Among those killed were 12 of the charity group’s staff members, the group said.

“This attack is abhorrent and a grave violation of international humanitarian law,” said Meinie Nicolai, the group’s president.

cont...

http://www.msn.com/e...4xa5?li=AAa0dzB

I can't wait to see how all of the Obama apologists justify this. Maybe, like he didn't know anything about the actions of the military until he read it in the news. He probably didn't even know they were in Afghanistan.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 5

Could you imagine if some country bombed a United States Hospital on accident? We would go to war with everyone involved.

This is outrageous, I bet they damn well knew it was a hospital.

• Like 3

To be fair

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpet_bombing

was used in the past

Some horrific death creating weapons missed and destroyed lives that were not the the abysmal and terrible lives that they intended.

While terrible, it is still not as bad as it was.

Because

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpet_bombing

I mean stop and read and understand that.

Is this bad, sure. Does it suck, defiantly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Dresden_in_World_War_II

• Like 1

What is a "moderate rebel" and how the heck does one determine what or who that is? Just about everyone we've armed over there has folded over and we just keep pouring arms into the hands of our wannabe enemies. It's as obvious as day that we don't know what we're doing.

"Iran and Assad make up Mr. Putin's coalition at the moment. The rest of the world makes up ours." ~ President Obama

That's a bold statement. Is that true?

It is INSANE how the laundry list of things I've been slamming our bureaucrats for on this foreign policy nightmare suddenly come flying out of our politicians' mouths about the blowback Putin will suffer for his foreign policy in Syria. These butt cheeses knew the whole time, they must love a good quagmire. After decades of failure, I wouldn't place any bets US officials suddenly know where to bomb in Syria. How any US official could still feel entitled to engineer yet another government in the Middle East after the disasters we've administered, but we have a collective entitlement to violence they get away with it.

Paraphrasing Putin: "Obama can't decide Syria's destiny, he's not a citizen of Syria."

That sounds right to me. What do you guys think?

• Like 5

While this is horrible Kunduz was just taken over by the Taliban and the Afghans wanted it back and now they have it back. War is not pretty and often many die including children. If you are going to work in a war zone don't expect safety expecially when the enemy has a habit of hiding among the people including women and children.

• Like 1

The group blames a U.S. airstrike for the death and destruction. Afghan officials said helicopter gunships returned fire from Taliban fighters who were hiding in the facility.

Stegeman said there were no insurgents in the facility at the time of the bombing. AP video footage of the burned out compound in the east of Kunduz city shows automatic weapons, including rifles and at least one machine gun, on windowsills.

-----------------

Militants blocked and mined roads as soon as they entered Kunduz to prevent people from leaving and to thwart a government's assault.

http://news.yahoo.com/doctors-without-borders-leaves-afghan-city-airstrike-070931286.html#

• Like 1

World | Sun Oct 4, 2015 8:58am EDT

Related: World, Afghanistan

Medical aid group denies Taliban were firing from Afghan hospital hit by air strike

KABUL | By Mirwais Harooni and Andrew MacAskill

Medical aid group Medecins Sans Frontieres denied that Taliban fighters were firing from its hospital at Afghan and NATO forces before a suspected U.S. air strike killed at least 19 people in a battle to oust the Islamist insurgents from an Afghan city.

Fighting raged around the northern provincial capital of Kunduz for a seventh day as government forces backed by American air power seek to drive out Taliban militants who seized the city almost a week ago.

So easy an excuse, this 'collateral damage' is for incompetence ~

~

Why did my discussion about Russian airstrikes in Syria get merged into a thread about US airstrikes in Pakistan?

Seriously mods?

I find it difficult to believe american intelligence would knowingly bomb a hospital in an airstrike. It doesn't make any logical sense to do it. Nothing positive results from killing innocent people. Nothing. The only questions I can think of is: Who provided the coordinates for the attack and what benefit was attacking a hospital to them? I have doubts we'll never be allowed to hear the name or the people responsible for providing the coordinates. We're left to fight among ourselves and blame each other.

• Like 4

Could you imagine if some country bombed a United States Hospital on accident? We would go to war with everyone involved.

This is outrageous, I bet they damn well knew it was a hospital.

How would they benefit from killing allies intentionally?
  • Like 1

Why did my discussion about Russian airstrikes in Syria get merged into a thread about US airstrikes in Pakistan?

Seriously mods?

I agree, was wondering what you were saying had to do with bombing a hospital in Afghanistan.

There is no benifit of bombing allies. This was a horrible mistake. We don't bomb hospitals or schools. Unfortunately sometimes it happens, war sucks.

I don't know, sometimes I feel some people think you can have a war and no one but the bad guys will die. Not that I think you do.

Edited by Ashotep
  • Like 1

Doctors Without Borders (MSF) doesn't take sides in any war. They are an international humanitarian organization.

I agree that it is very difficult to believe the US military would do this intentionally. But what bugs me is that MSF had provided the GPS coordinates of the hospital's location to all parties involved. So the military knew about it and the pilot must have seen the dot on his\her radar. This is a very bad mistake.

Still, they kept bombing there for 30 mins after they had been made aware the hospital got hit. That's quite shocking.

Edited by Draco20
  • Like 2

There is no benifit of bombing allies. This was a horrible mistake. We don't bomb hospitals or schools. Unfortunately sometimes it happens, war sucks.

I don't know, sometimes I feel some people think you can have a war and no one but the bad guys will die. Not that I think you do.

It was not a mistake. The Taliban were using the hospital as cover. There are rarely mistakes considering the hoops you have to jump through to drop a 500lb bomb or call in Apaches for air support.

We have no business being there.

We shouldn't have went there in the first place.

A huge waste of human life, infrastructure, and money. For what? Has it brought peace to the region? Has it made us 'safer'? Has it done ANYTHING positive?

• Like 5

It was not a mistake. The Taliban were using the hospital as cover. There are rarely mistakes considering the hoops you have to jump through to drop a 500lb bomb or call in Apaches for air support.

This was a "Doctors' Without Borders" hospital, attended by doctors from all over the world who go to impoverished places to offer free medical services. It wasn't a local hospital full of sympathizers. I see no reason why they would lie about the Taliban using the hospital as cover

Edit to add--

It kind of p***es me off that Obama has the audacity to complain that Putin is bombing "moderate rebels", while a hospital is bombed by Americans.

Also, Putin has absolutely crippled ISIS in just days - where the hell has Obama been for the past 13 MONTHS? Either we have to admit that America is very ineffective at curbing terrorism or that they have been supporting these "rebels" to help remove Assad. Either way, they have been thoroughly embarrassed by the Kremlin with the whole world watching.

Edited by Dark_Grey
  • Like 4

This was a "Doctors' Without Borders" hospital, attended by doctors from all over the world who go to impoverished places to offer free medical services. It wasn't a local hospital full of sympathizers. I see no reason why they would lie about the Taliban using the hospital as cover

Edit to add--

It kind of p***es me off that Obama has the audacity to complain that Putin is bombing "moderate rebels", while a hospital is bombed by Americans.

Also, Putin has absolutely crippled ISIS in just days - where the hell has Obama been for the past 13 MONTHS? Either we have to admit that America is very ineffective at curbing terrorism or that they have been supporting these "rebels" to help remove Assad. Either way, they have been thoroughly embarrassed by the Kremlin with the whole world watching.

I haven't seen any reports about Russian forces causing large amounts of damage to ISIS. In fact it appears to be just the opposite. They are tending to strike only those forces supported by the est first, then a little effort against ISIS. As to Obama's handling of the conflict, I agree that it is embarrassing. The US airpower could have done MUCH more had he been willing to employ it effectively. Russia is only going to do what it takes to secure Russia's interests in the region IMO. They are in Syria to STAY. Watch major bases being built in the not distant future. They already are placing AAA and sophisticated anti air missiles that will threaten to down US, Israeli and other national air assets. They have wanted that warm water major port for many years and now Obama just gives it to them. I certainly hope that Putin's ego has a limit otherwise we may see a very serious war in the near term. I've been saying it for months - a weak US president is a danger to the whole world.
  • Like 2

I wonder how many people have been killed in the Russian airstrikes? Its amazing how this site, news comment sections and social media has exploded with joy in response to the carnage. Its like a black magic spell.

To quote Ron Paul yesterday: "I wish nobody was bombing Syria"

• Like 2

Russia vs Israel????

Im not sure where you get your info from AT... wait I do..... but lets be clear.... ancient texts arent exactly the best source of information when it comes to detailing current events.

Google Russia/Putin Israel/Netanyahu

You'll notice relations are good. They are friends. Besides its pretty obvious Israel is Russian. I'm actually beginning to wonder: Who is Al-Assad?

Russia wants to establish influence over the region and end our monopoly there. Relations with Israel are part and parcel of that influence.

I wish nobody was bombing Syria too. The reason millions of people on the internet are so elated is that our gig is up. There will be no regime change in Syria. Our violent interests will not be served. We're helping Al Qaeda and ISIS both and US citizens are dumb as doorknobs to the fact. I can't even post a new discussion without it folding over into something else completely off topic where Michelle can now play topic police and silence my discussion. I don't know where this protectionism for the policy comes from around here but it exists whether deliberate or unwitting.

• Like 1

We have no business being there.

We shouldn't have went there in the first place.

A huge waste of human life, infrastructure, and money. For what? Has it brought peace to the region? Has it made us 'safer'? Has it done ANYTHING positive?

Even I would have voted to go into Afghanistan after 9/11. Because I was still dumb in 2001 and still had an ounce of trust that our illustrious leaders knew what they were doing. Knowing what I know now, and what I already knew in 2002, I would have invaded Saudi Arabia if I was going to invade anyone.

But it begs the question supervike, and you probably know that I agree with you strongly in spirit when asking this question, what should we have done in response to 9/11?

Edited by Yamato
  • Like 2

Being lied to by the very people one is supposed to trust with ones lives is not dumb by any stretch of the circumstances ~

• Like 1

We're dicking around in Afghanistan and we can bomb all the hospitals we want we're completely missing the target. Al Qaeda = Saudi Arabia = ISIS. We are in bed making love with our enemy while we're also bombing them. This is the most asinine and stupid policy ever conceived by man. At least Attila the Hun whooped total butt when he switched Barbarian Mode On. We just make a bloody mess and cause chaos, and then act silent and complicit about it. Just look at our members here.

I wonder sometimes, do people have a secret bloodlust for Muslims in their hearts, and wherever it's politically correct to kill them, God Bless? The only thing we're accomplishing, obviously and consistently through time, is blood and chaos. How much longer are you, We the People, going to let this astounding policy failure and laughable waste of money to continue? Unless we want blood and chaos, because that's what our silence and ignorance is saying. And so I wonder sometimes....

While this is horrible Kunduz was just taken over by the Taliban and the Afghans wanted it back and now they have it back. War is not pretty and often many die including children. If you are going to work in a war zone don't expect safety expecially when the enemy has a habit of hiding among the people including women and children.

I wonder how much Russia would have been bashed if they were the culprits...

• Like 2

If its not Muslims then it will be something else ~ all of them one thing at a time today with something else on the horizon ~ that is what moves and rallies the American public nowadays ...

At times I even wonder if the majority of Americans are even aware of the world outside of the US other than what's on TV and what the social media regurgitates ~

• Like 2