Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Justice Department to free 6,000 prisoners

Still Waters

The Justice Department is set to release about 6,000 inmates early from prison - the largest one-time release of federal prisoners - in an effort to reduce overcrowding and provide relief to drug offenders who received harsh sentences over the past three decades, according to U.S. officials.

The inmates from federal prisons nationwide will be set free by the department's Bureau of Prisons between Oct. 30 and Nov. 2. About two-thirds of them will go to halfway houses and home confinement before being put on supervised release. About one-third are foreign citizens who will be quickly deported, officials said.

https://www.washingt...6699_story.html

It is a sad state of affairs when I can read this news and genuinely think to myself "it is about time we caught up to progressive Portugal in dealing with drugs".

• Like 1

http://www.theguardi...-violent-crimes

I think certain states should review some of the draconian sentences they dish out for fairly minor offences. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the above article but it seems pretty severe.

Edited by A rather obscure Bassoon

Not enough. We need a lot more 0's on the end of that. If you really want to make space in prisons, release all the non-violent cannabis users - the guards won't know what to do with all their free time

• Like 2

Interesting video, but I can't see the cartels in South America going legit and yes prohibition has been a big failure.