Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What do you see if you stare at this picture?

Still Waters

This black-and-white image looks random at first - but if you stare at it, you might be able to pick out a baby's face.

If you look down at the photo below, the baby's face will leap right out at you.

The images show how the brain 'fills in' the gaps in visual data, according to University of Cardiff and Cambridge researchers - closely related to why we hallucinate, and to psychotic symptoms.

https://uk.news.yaho...76.html#JuTn8as

• Like 2

Yeah, that did indeed work...I saw nothing in particular until I looked down at the picture of the baby, then I could pick it out easily.

• Like 4

I used to be good at these sort of things.. but on this occasion, I had to see the real image of the baby, before looking back at the black/white image

• Like 2

Even when they showed the baby's face in the regular photo I still couldn't see it in the black-and-white image.

• Like 4

I agree with Ryu. Even after seeing the color image and looking back up and seeing where the black and white form the duotone image, I had to use my imagination to see the baby. It does indeed look like two cows grazing to me.

• Like 3

When I posted this I couldn't see anything in the black & white picture. Since reading all your comments I can now see what might resemble two cows. The baby I still can't make that out at all, I've even tried standing back to view my screen at a distance but still can't see it.

• Like 4

I cannot see anything but splotches.

This could be used as a good litmus test for crazy folks on the "Sightings and Experiences" section, though! Give them the picture and see what they see. If they see the baby, they probably hallucinated whatever their experience was :tu:

• Like 3

Like Ryu and others, I cannot make out any particular "shape" in the image. I even looked at the photo, but still can't discern any recognisable "baby face" in the black and white image.

Neither do I see "two cows grazing", or any other identifiable pattern.

Does that mean I'm so sane I'm insane? :unsure::(

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 3

Too much extraneous "noise" in the Rorschach image to make any sense of it. The outline of the baby's head in that extreme angle pose is barely discernible--even after looking at the photo.

• Like 3

When I posted this I couldn't see anything in the black & white picture. Since reading all your comments I can now see what might resemble two cows. The baby I still can't make that out at all, I've even tried standing back to view my screen at a distance but still can't see it.

I can't even see two cows lol

I can't even see two cows lol

I'm with you. This looks like something my granddaughter would have drawn when she was 4. If you have to tell someone where the "object" is, is the test valid?
  • Like 2

I used to be good at these sort of things.. but on this occasion, I had to see the real image of the baby, before looking back at the black/white image

I was going to say the same thing. Normally I'm all over these kinds of things.

Oh well, it was a diversion for a few minutes... :whistle:

The best part was reading some of the replies here! :yes:

• Like 1

I see a Vulcan kissing a Klingon.

• Like 1

I see a cows head in the top right and another cow which looks like its been drawn by a 4 year old below it, and I can not get them out of the image...I see a sort of baby face, but the cows have over taken this field.

• Like 2

This black-and-white image looks random at first - but if you stare at it, you might be able to pick out a baby's face.

If you look down at the photo below, the baby's face will leap right out at you.

The images show how the brain 'fills in' the gaps in visual data, according to University of Cardiff and Cambridge researchers - closely related to why we hallucinate, and to psychotic symptoms.

https://uk.news.yaho...76.html#JuTn8as

No ... this post shows how auto suggestion works . If you want to test if the brains do fill in the gaps the same , dont 'advertise' what one is 'supposed to see'.

• Like 3

what if i just see a cow's head in the top right?

Then you are less effected to auto suggestion