Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Photo of Lee Harvey Oswald is authentic

Anomalocaris

3D analysis provides sudden Kennedy assassination breakthrough

One of the most controversial photos in history is authentic, according to 3D analysis by Dartmouth College. The seemingly damning photo of Lee Harvey Oswald -- who was arrested and charged for the assassination of US president John F Kennedy, but died before trial -- pictures him holding the same type of rifle that killed JFK, and a couple of Marxist newspapers.

arrow3.gifRead more

Hardly a breakthrough. I believe Marina has mentioned in the past that she herself took the picture. And it never showed any evidence of pre-photoshop photoshopping.

Nice to have more confirmation, though.

• Like 5

Actually , as things stand ~ the authenticity of this photo adds and raises more questions than it answers ... the manner of posing with headlines to prove the time is not the norm in those days as far as I understand ~ what's the purpose ? I bought a rifle now see me prove it with this photo ? Prove to who ?

Oswald knows his photography ... he knows this ~

Anyhow the headline of this article is somewhat subtly misleading ~

Any evidence of tampering in the photo would naturally be used as evidence for a conspiracy -- as unlikely as that remains. But two separate US inquiries have dismissed such claims. And now a study from Dartmouth College has used digital image forensics and 3D modelling to confirm the inquiries' findings, and prove that Oswald's pose in the picture is indeed plausible.

This investigation did not examine or investigate the physical evidence of the photographs ~ just Oswald's pose caught in the photographs with 3D software reconstruction ~ not quite real dinosaurs in Jurassic Park to me ...

"It is highly improbable that anyone could have created such a perfect forgery with the technology available in 1963," said Farid in 2009. "As our digital forensic tools become more sophisticated, we increasingly have the ability to apply them to historic photos in an attempt to resolve some long-standing mysteries."

Not quite evidence either ...

~

• Like 1

Oswald is living in Havana. He plays dominoes with Castro on Saturday afternoon in the park. The body they buried in Dallas was a death row inmate from Huntsville. Oswald use to sneak into Bebe Rebozo's place in Florida back in the 60's and 70's to drink and play cards with Nixon and Tony Provenzano. Everyone knows this.

the shooting was staged. the dallas police, ruby, the Chicago mob pulled it off. faked the shooting, put Oswald on a plane to cuba. the switch was made by one ambulance going to the airport and another decoy taking the prisoner to Parkland. the licenses don't match. look at the one leaving the police headquarters and then another video showing the other ambulance arriving at the hospital. of course CBS destroyed the originals at the request of George HW Bush.

Edited by mbrn30000

Actually , as things stand ~ the authenticity of this photo adds and raises more questions than it answers ... the manner of posing with headlines to prove the time is not the norm in those days as far as I understand ~ what's the purpose ? I bought a rifle now see me prove it with this photo ? Prove to who ?

The term "selfie" may be new, but the idea sure isn't.

• Like 1

The term "selfie" may be new, but the idea sure isn't.

I agree ~ but the manner of Oswald's selfie is rather ground breaking for its time ...

Hardly a breakthrough. I believe Marina has mentioned in the past that she herself took the picture. And it never showed any evidence of pre-photoshop photoshopping.

Nice to have more confirmation, though.

Yes she has.

I agree ~ but the manner of Oswald's selfie is rather ground breaking for its time ...

How so? I don't really see any difference between this picture and one taken, say, in front of the Eiffel Tower. In either case, he's showing off.

How so? I don't really see any difference between this picture and one taken, say, in front of the Eiffel Tower. In either case, he's showing off.

The manner of 'authenticating' the moment ~ ;)

~

One can and will make of something as one see`s fit Like everything in our world !

The Beat goes on as they say !

Oswald did the crime ,and got what he needed. :tu:

One can and will make of something as one see`s fit Like everything in our world !

The Beat goes on as they say !

Oswald did the crime ,and got what he needed. :tu:

A trial would've been better though.

• Like 1

I think posner's book Case Closed is the best I have read on the subject. I know conspiracy theorist claim Posner is a government misinformationist (not sure that's a word). BUt even this atheist has to eventually have faith in something. I found all my answers on this topic....until some real evidence to the contrary, Oswald did it...and most likely it was not a conspiracy, except by the voices in his head.

I think posner's book Case Closed is the best I have read on the subject. I know conspiracy theorist claim Posner is a government misinformationist (not sure that's a word). BUt even this atheist has to eventually have faith in something. I found all my answers on this topic....until some real evidence to the contrary, Oswald did it...and most likely it was not a conspiracy, except by the voices in his head.

Case Closed is very good, but be aware he was charged with plagiarism, I believe (that doesn't mean his information is wrong). Take a look at Bugliosi's Reclaiming History. It's more of a reference work, almost like an encyclopedia in its exhaustive detail, but well worth the effort.

• Like 1

Still too many unanswered questions for me the mention Cased Closed ~ I categorise this in the same folder as dubya's Mission Accomplished mess

Case Closed is very good, but be aware he was charged with plagiarism, I believe (that doesn't mean his information is wrong). Take a look at Bugliosi's Reclaiming History. It's more of a reference work, almost like an encyclopedia in its exhaustive detail, but well worth the effort.

I think Posner's addressing Oswald's mental illness and his issues when he defected even the attempted suicide, helps dispel the myth that Oswald was some kind of trained killer. He was for all practical purposes a screwed up kid. He was never normal. He was not a great marine, nor successful at anything. It's always possible some dark conspiracy found this nut and somehow got him a job at the Texas School Depository just in time for the 1963 campaign tour, and anticipated JFK would come to Dallas a few weeks later..And its possible they were lucky or people in this vast conspiracy could ensure the motorcade would pass by...its possible...but it is more likely that Oswald, the screwed up unsuccessful crazy malcontent, found himself working at the TSD and read in the paper that JFK would be passing by. He took the gun he had already used to try and kill someone and got lucky. Not unlike so many crazy assassins they have some planning and some luck. What if John Lenin had not signed Chapmans book, or had never gone out that night, or got home later or earlier..what if? what if, MLK had stayed on the first floor and not on the second? etc etc.

• Like 1

in end it is always 'Luck' that is to blame ... good luck bad luck ... like those planes on 911

Oswald didn't kill JFK.period. and it's pretty damned obvious.... Who is responsible.. Remember.. Marilyn Monroe and Bobby Kennedy were strangely eliminated too.. So. Look to the powers that be..instead of the scapegoat.

Oswald is living in Havana. He plays dominoes with Castro on Saturday afternoon in the park. The body they buried in Dallas was a death row inmate from Huntsville. Oswald use to sneak into Bebe Rebozo's place in Florida back in the 60's and 70's to drink and play cards with Nixon and Tony Provenzano. Everyone knows this.

I seriously doubt this as LHO was to be "eliminated" after the assassination. From Anthony Summers' The Kennedy Conspiracy, 2002 (p. 328): "Fred Classen also told the House Selection Committee on Assassinations... 'The anti-Castro people put Oswald together. Oswald didn’t know who he was working for – he was just ignorant of who was really putting him together. Oswald was to meet his contact at the Texas Theatre. They were to meet Oswald in the theatre, and get him out of the country, then eliminate him. Oswald made a mistake… There was no way we could get to him. They had Ruby kill him.'"

So, LHO is most certainly dead.

It's my contention that LHO was merely a "patsy" - he had no idea what was really going on. Further, that LHO probably was involved only to deliver a rifle to the 6th Floor of the TSBD since he worked there; someone else used it, someone LHO didn't know. In that way, if LHO was arrested for anything, he wouldn't be able to name names, implicate anyone else, or provide key testimony to link others.

Oswald didn't kill JFK.period. and it's pretty damned obvious.... Who is responsible.. Remember.. Marilyn Monroe and Bobby Kennedy were strangely eliminated too.. So. Look to the powers that be..instead of the scapegoat.

Who's behind it? The Soviets? Cubans? Teamsters? Mafia? LBJ?

Or maybe it's like Agatha Christie's "Orient Express"--they all did it.

I'd like to see your arguments.

I seriously doubt this as LHO was to be "eliminated" after the assassination. From Anthony Summers' The Kennedy Conspiracy, 2002 (p. 328): "Fred Classen also told the House Selection Committee on Assassinations... 'The anti-Castro people put Oswald together. Oswald didn’t know who he was working for – he was just ignorant of who was really putting him together. Oswald was to meet his contact at the Texas Theatre. They were to meet Oswald in the theatre, and get him out of the country, then eliminate him. Oswald made a mistake… There was no way we could get to him. They had Ruby kill him.'"

It's my contention that LHO was merely a "patsy" - he had no idea what was really going on. Further, that LHO probably was involved only to deliver a rifle to the 6th Floor of the TSBD since he worked there; someone else used it, someone LHO didn't know. In that way, if LHO was arrested for anything, he wouldn't be able to name names, implicate anyone else, or provide key testimony to link others.

Oswald's palm print was on the rifle, but who else was involved?

After all these years, no one has come up with anything tangible. Except Oswald.

you do realize I made that up. But conspiracy minded folks probably have added it to their theories. LHO killed JFK and did it alone.

• Like 1

Who's behind it? The Soviets? Cubans? Teamsters? Mafia? LBJ?

Or maybe it's like Agatha Christie's "Orient Express"--they all did it.

I'd like to see your arguments.

Oswald's palm print was on the rifle, but who else was involved?

After all these years, no one has come up with anything tangible. Except Oswald.

I remember the History Channel had a special the men that killed kennedy. They went through the most common theories, shots from the grassy knoll, the driver, the overpass, other floors in TSD and even the storm drain..well they cannot all be true or Dealey Plaza would be like the shootout at the OK Corral. They talked about the Corsicans, the new Orleans mob, the Chicago mob, the Cubans,CIA, right wingers, left wingers, I even think Johnson. All had their advocates pleading their case with all seriousness. It was downright scary. You can never convince some. It's in their DNA.

Edited by mbrn30000

you do realize I made that up. But conspiracy minded folks probably have added it to their theories. LHO killed JFK and did it alone.

Chalk that up to Poe's Law then.

:)

• Like 1

I remember the History Channel had a special the men that killed kennedy. They went through the most common theories, shots from the grassy knoll, the driver, the overpass, other floors in TSD and even the storm drain..well they cannot all be true or Dealey Plaza would be like the shootout at the OK Corral. They talked about the Corsicans, the new Orleans mob, the Chicago mob, the Cubans,CIA, right wingers, left wingers, I even think Johnson. All had their advocates pleading their case with all seriousness. It was downright scary. You can never convince some. It's in their DNA.

Exactly. Like so many others though, it's a case of "prove me wrong". And when you can't prove a negative, but can point out the idiocy of the idea (shooting from the storm drain?!) then like a Hydra, another 75 equally idiotic "theories" come up. It's like the Gish Gallop.

Exactly. Like so many others though, it's a case of "prove me wrong". And when you can't prove a negative, but can point out the idiocy of the idea (shooting from the storm drain?!) then like a Hydra, another 75 equally idiotic "theories" come up. It's like the Gish Gallop.

storm drain theory

Edited by mbrn30000