Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Breathing' Earth Filmed In Canadian Forest

Still Waters

Amazing footage has emerged of a forest carpet appearing to breathe like a sleeping giant.

The video was captured by Brian Nuttall at Apple River in Nova Scotia, Canada, on his mobile phone.

It shows the ground rising and falling.

What in fact is happening is explained by Mr Nuttall in a Facebook post.

http://news.sky.com/...canadian-forest

• Like 5

The idea of being able to see the Earth breathing is a lovely one ...... BUT, the actual video creeps me out! :wacko: I couldn't even watch to the end of the video and it's only 1:24mns long!!

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Like 2

A tree is about to fall in the woods. I wouldn't stand in that spot.

• Like 5

Freaked me out too Ouija, but GreenmansGod has the most logical explanation. It looks to be caused by the roots of a massive tree about to give way, since the movement seems to happen with every big gust of wind.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 2

That and you can see the tree moving with each gust, and movement follows the line of one of its larger roots.

Obvious explanation was obvious.

• Like 2

Big old rootplate lifting with the wind.

• Like 3

Still the visual effect is very impressive. You don't see that every day.

• Like 6

Odd looking, but it's just roots from that loose tree.

That... was... awesome!

Really cool :tu:

• Like 2

Why is all the interesting stuff filmed at 240p ??? geez. BTW, I used to live in NS and this place is right next to where the tides come in on the the Bay of Fundy. I'll leave it at that. You figure it out.

• Like 1

It could be a hibernating Sasquatch?

Edited by Goodnite
  • Like 1

This is pretty awesome, it was a buddy of mine here in Nova Scotia that filmed this. A lot of trees grow in thin soil and get pretty large. Cool to see on video, even moreso in real life :)

• Like 4

It usually looks like this when it's an earthquake going on. Still, as it's Nova Scotia, I don't know. Roots and wind explaination is much more convincing here.

Amazing... people still don't know how to hold a camera phone correctly.

There's phones with cameras?

*dials up friends*

Edited by Eldorado

Tree roots from the wind pushing. Still cool.

I've seen something like this before. In the 1970's a bbc TV biologist called David Bellamy jumped up and down on a patch of land in a wood. The trees and bushes shook. It was because 100's of years previously there was a lake or a large deep pond there. I can't remember the exact process but I think either the edges crept towards the middle or floating debries built up fast enough to create a thick carpet that got thicker and thicker as the leaves and other material settled on top. Centuries later the carpet was pretty thick. 6 foot at least. He shoved into the ground a soil sampler with a very very very long stem,it went down quite some depth and then whoosh it broke through the bottom of the carpet and the only thing stopping it from disappearing was the shape of the handle. The lake was still there, but it was under all this top debris layer.

The movie Tremors was actually filmed here in Canada. Our giant worms wake once every 7 years to feed.

Edited by Daffy123
  • Like 1