Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientist solves mystery of the Plymouth hum

UM-Bot

A mysterious humming noise that has been driving residents round the bend may be coming from the sea.

Possible explanations for the low-pitched din, which has been plaguing the area for years, have included everything from wind turbines and power lines to extraterrestrial visitation, but now a scientist from France believes that he may have finally found the answer.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/288968/scientist-solves-mystery-of-the-plymouth-hum

Only those with the "Innsmouth Look" can hear these underwater low tones....

• Like 2

in any case: if the hum is so low that only some people can hear it (that is, less than 27 Hz) then earplugs don't help, the sound would go through the body mass and resonate in the bones.

Now we need to know about the Taos hum....while there is a lake nearby there is also a mountain in between it and the town.

• Like 1

I like how the researcher said, to paraphrase, that if this is a recurrent natural phenomenon there may be nothing one whom is sensitive to this can do, but to wear earplugs, or, move.

So this scientist is trying to tell me that the ocean is exerting pressure on the ocean floor in only a handful of places on the whole planet? :D

i suppose it might have something to do with the slant of the seabed?? ... that is, How the water is Squeezed as it's coming toward shore?

That would create the specific "pressure" the scientist is talking about?

What about the people who live inland?

The sea is just full of strange sounds, isn't it? First the Bloop, then these hums.

Only those with the "Innsmouth Look" can hear these underwater low tones....

We shall swim out to that brooding reef in the sea and dive down through black abysses to Cyclopean and many-columned Y'ha-nthlei, and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory for ever.

caution-do-not-poke-the-deep-ones.jpg

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 3

low frequencies do travel through mediums much easier and farther than higher frequencies?

More years ago than I care to think about, I was waiting for a chartered plane at the airstrip of the tiny mining town of Collinsville. it was around noon and the safety officer had driven me out from the mine with my equipment and was waiting to assist with loading the plane. It was about as quiet as the bush ever gets, which is pretty quiet. We chatted about this and that. There was a faint breeze, you would have to think about it to feel it. I could hear a faint whistling, or maybe howling, quite low pitched. He said he could not hear it. It seemed to be coming from the left and I got up to investigate. About 5 metres (say 16 feet) away a glass bottle stood on top of a fence post. The sound was the tiny breeze blowing over the open top. Even up close I could barely hear it.

I wonder if the Taos hum comes from wind blowing across the unglazed windows of the oldest buildings, or perhaps those ground level ovens. Just a thought.

• Like 1

low frequencies do travel through mediums much easier and farther than higher frequencies?

Depends on the medium.

Cheers,

Badeskov

There is a tradition in Denmark, that when a building is built, when the walls are erected and the structure for the roof is in place, you hold a party (rejsegilde) for all the construction workers. There is a lot of superstitions in this, for instance you take a glass, ask that the house last as many years as this glass will shatter into and then you throw it against a well.

However, if you do not hold this party, you could be in a bad position. One tradition is to put an empty bottle into the chimney as part of the construction, so when the when is blowing you will have a horrible howling sound, amplified by the chimney itself.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 2