Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

A City of Silence in a Place of Death

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 11 December 2004 - 12:23 AM

In the wee hours of an April morning in 1986 crews at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power plant began a saftey systems test of reactor 4#. Soon after the test began a chain reaction occured and quickly spead out of control. And then in an instant the world came to a halt.

Within a few minutes the blast from the meltdown explosion spread radiation across the country side. Those who didnt die from the radiation were evacuated away from the danger zone, leaving their cities, towns, and belongings behind. Time stopped in the city of Chernobyl foever.

Today the city and most of the country side sits as it had on the day of the meltdown. Its a silent place. So silent that its almost scary.

A friend found me this link and said to read it and I did. Its the journey of one person into this area of silence. And its recorded in pictures. It's something else entirely. Check it out, click on 'begin'.

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/default.htm

I think it's important we remember this. Check out the pictures, it's eerie. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to actually be there. Anyone who has seen 28 Days Later will be reminded of the scenes of the movie in the pictures taken.

Time stands still in Chernobyl.

user posted image

Edited by BurnSide, 11 December 2004 - 12:25 AM.

#2    lala5

lala5

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

• curious open minded careful happy happy to find people with same interests

Posted 11 December 2004 - 01:13 AM

thanks  burnside         people need to learn  a lesson  and  i am glad   you wont let people forget our   mistakes        do you think  we have learned???

#3    BurnSide

BurnSide

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 11 December 2004 - 01:15 AM

I don't think people have learned squat since this time, and it's bound to happen again someday.

#4    riotboy555

riotboy555

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

• Quick, for God's sake, cut off the lights.

Posted 11 December 2004 - 01:24 AM

reminds me of the end of resident evil, or 28 days later.

is it still radioactive?

"We're here to rock you all, no matter what you believe in."-refused
*Signature removed, exceeds permitted size guidelines - Click Here for details. :(

"Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule." - Friedrich Nietzsche

#5    Janiel

Janiel

Author of Best Signature 2005

• 11,369 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 01:27 AM

Yes, it is.
btw, This site is awesome!
thanks grin2.gif

Posted Image
гордый фетишйст

#6    BurnSide

BurnSide

• 25,390 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 01:30 AM

And excerpt from the journal, to answer your question riotboy. If you care to read it.

Roentgens

To begin our journey, we must learn a little something about radiation. It is really very simple, and the device we use for measuring radiation levels is called a geiger counter . If you flick it on in Kiev, it will measure about 12-16 microroentgen per hour. In a typical city of Russia and America, it will read 10-12 microroentgen per hour. In the center of many European cities are 20 microR per hour, the radioactivity of the stone.

1,000 microroentgens equal one milliroentgen and 1,000 milliroentgens equal 1 roentgen. So one roentgen is 100,000 times the average radiation of a typical city. A dose of 500 roentgens within 5 hours is fatal to humans. Interestingly, it takes about 2 1/2 times that dosage to kill a chicken and over 100 times that to kill a cockroach.

This sort of radiation level can not be found in Chernobyl now. In the first days after explosion, some places around the reactor were emitting 3,000-30,000 roentgens per hour. The firemen who were sent to put out the reactor fire were fried on the spot by gamma radiation. The remains of the reactor were entombed within an enormous steel and concrete sarcophagus, so it is now relatively safe to travel to the area - as long as we do not step off of the roadway.......

The map above shows the radiation levels in different parts of the dead zone. The map will soon be replaced with a more comprehensive one that identifies more features.

It shows various levels of radiation on asphalt - usually on the middle of road - because at edge of the road it is twice as high. If you step 1 meter off the road it is 4 or 5 times higher. Radiation sits on the soil, on the grass, in apples and mushrooms. It is not retained by asphalt, which makes rides through this area possible.

I have never had problems with the dosimeter guys, who man the checkpoints. They are experts, and if they find radiation on you vehicle, they give it a chemical shower. I don't count those couple of times when "experts" tried to invent an excuse to give me a shower, because those had a lot more to do with physical biology than biological physics

user posted image

So basically, high levels of radiation will remain in the area probably for a good century or so. These levels are dangers in the 'dead zone' but you're pretty much safe as long as you don't stray too far into the hot zones and don't remain in the area for long.

You're welcome Jan. It's been around for awhile, but it's always fascinated me.

Edited by BurnSide, 11 December 2004 - 01:31 AM.

#7    BurnSide

BurnSide

• 25,390 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 01:57 AM

user posted image

silence

This town might be an attractive place for tourists. Some tourists companies have been trying to arrange tours in this town, but the first group of tourists found the silence unnerving and downright SPOOKY. And it is. They charged 1200 hryvnas for a 2 hour excursion and after some 15 minutes, they wanted to flee to the outside world. The silence here is deafening.

I'd give my right leg to go.

#8    riotboy555

riotboy555

Psychic Spy

• 1,509 posts

• Quick, for God's sake, cut off the lights.

Posted 11 December 2004 - 01:59 AM

thanks for the info, burnside. i'd love to go there too.

"We're here to rock you all, no matter what you believe in."-refused
*Signature removed, exceeds permitted size guidelines - Click Here for details. :(

"Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule." - Friedrich Nietzsche

#9    FreyKade

FreyKade

Psychic Spy

• 1,416 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 11:31 AM

wow,  A dose of 500 roentgens within 5 hours is fatal to humans. Interestingly, it takes about 2 1/2 times that dosage to kill a chicken and over 100 times that to kill a cockroach. ....if the human race ends because of nuclear war...i think we can say the world will be in the hands of the cockroaches. though im sure that alot of plants could survive

"isn't that intresting Dave, i mean every step you take down that chain, takes you one step further from your imagination"

i said
"you're right! youre a bit of a hippy, but you're right"
- Dave Gorman

"Wanna buy some pegs Dave?"
"I got some pegs belonging to you"
- Papa Lazarou

#10    Mad Manfred

Mad Manfred

Cutesy Wootsy

• 4,505 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 12:03 PM

I'm sorry, I don't know much on the area of radiation etc. so I have a question:

If this area is indeed still uninhabitable and highly radioactive...how is this person able to go there and take photo's out of a radiation suit?

#11    squweekie

squweekie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 12:24 PM

Appalling to see, I saw a PBS documentary showing the inside of Chernobyl.  The structure inside, the walls, beams, floors looked like they were built by a tweeker.  No craftsmanship what so ever.  Scary thought to say the least.  If the reactors construction and maintenance was anything like the inside of the building, I'm not surprised.

There was an upside to the documentary.  They were showing how the land in and around Chernobyl was being inhabited now by multitudes of new life in respect to large animals and birds using it now as their new large quarters.

#12    Mad Manfred

Mad Manfred

Cutesy Wootsy

• 4,505 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 01:06 PM

Population of wolves, horses and boars are high too. Funny thing about the wolves is, they're relatively friendly...as someone said, it's probably because they're eating well.

#13    Mad Manfred

Mad Manfred

Cutesy Wootsy

• 4,505 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 01:09 PM

It also gives you a very good idea of what the entire planet will look like in the aftermath of a worldwide nuclear holocaust.

Life will simply go on without us, the animals will inhabit the emptied cities and adapt.

I think it's beautiful actually...we destroy ourselves and they live in harmony.

#14    squweekie

squweekie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 01:32 PM

Absolute great find Burnside.  I read the whole thing.  She is my kinda gal to jump in there like that for us.  These quotes of hers hit home............

"Children had to part with their favorite toys. People had to leave everything, from photos of their grandparents to cars. Their clothes, cash and passports has all been changed by state authorities. Incredibly, people had homes, motorcycles, garages, cars, country houses, they had money, friends and relatives. People had their lives. Each had their own niche. And then in a matter of hours , their entire world fell to pieces."

"After a few hours trip in an army vehicle, they stood under a shower, washing away radiation. Then they stepped in a new life, naked with no home, no friends, no money, no past and with a very doubtful future."

The following I borrowed, from my daughter atrueoriginall.  It depicts the possibility of something quite similar that could certainly take place in Southern California.  Those in Los Angeles should really heed these words she spoke of and stand up to the plate with your local government.  And let me say it before any of you do. "As if it matters", their hands are flat from sitting on them for so long.    Do it anyway!

Here's a good "END TIME" scenario.

Considering that they are speaking of a port in the next paragraph, I would peg Los Angeles because we have enemies and it is one of the largest ports in the world.  San Francisco on the other hand is more a fishing port, which is currently changing, but not anywhere near the degree of the Los Angeles port.  Thousands of containers are taken off ships daily in Los Angeles. Containers are only check "inside" randomly. Can you imagine just one of them having a nuclear weapon in it.  

Revelations 18:17
17 For in one hour so great riches is come to nought. And every shipmaster, and all the company in ships, and sailors, and as many as trade by sea, stood afar off, 18 And cried when they saw the smoke of her burning, saying, What city is like unto this great city!

#15    BurnSide

BurnSide

• 25,390 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE(FreyKade @ Dec 11 2004, 06:31 AM)
wow,  A dose of 500 roentgens within 5 hours is fatal to humans. Interestingly, it takes about 2 1/2 times that dosage to kill a chicken and over 100 times that to kill a cockroach. ....if the human race ends because of nuclear war...i think we can say the world will be in the hands of the cockroaches. though im sure that alot of plants could survive

View Post

Well actually, in my opinion, if the world fell into a nuclear winter there would be three living survivors. Two of which, as you said, would be cockroaches.
The thrid... would be Keith Richards. Smokign a joint. Then he would look at one of the roaches, take a toke, and say 'you know, i smmmoked yer uncle ah! fackiiin craaaaazyay.'
(take from Robin Williams Live)

QUOTE(Mad Manfred @ Dec 11 2004, 07:03 AM)
I'm sorry, I don't know much on the area of radiation etc. so I have a question:

If this area is indeed still uninhabitable and highly radioactive...how is this person able to go there and take photo's out of a radiation suit?

View Post

They took with them a radiation detector and stayed within the areas that had next to no radiation at all. Mostly on roads. The detector picks up the hot zones, and whenever they strayed into areas where the detector showed up to much radiation they backed off. Relatively dangerous of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users