Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Roman Sword discovered off Oak Island

bubblykiss

Researchers investigating the mysterious Oak Island, located on the south shore of Nova Scotia, Canada, have made a startling announcement regarding the discovery of a Roman ceremonial sword and what is believed to be a Roman shipwreck, radically suggesting that ancient mariners visited North America more than a thousand years before Columbus.

Evidence of the finding, which was exclusively revealed to Johnston Press and published in The Boston Standard, was uncovered by researchers involved in The History Channel’s series Curse of Oak Island, which details the efforts of two brothers from Michigan as they attempt to solve the mystery of the Oak Island treasure and discover historical artifacts believed to be concealed on the island.

• Like 5

Now this is dangerous for a Park Canada take over.

A bunch of coins would have been safe, even ten tons of them, but a Roman Empire ship wreck?

At least, now that everyone knows it's there, Park Canada will have to move swiftly and do the archaeological dig before plunderers mess everything. Screw the politically correct "no one came before vikings" line and "let's not touch the potentially controversial sites" usual tactic.

Edited by Gingitsune
  • Like 1

Sure makes the Oak Island pit even more interesting now.

That could be the point of this announcement though. There is a TV show involved. I wonder if this will actually get picked up by "reputable" sources

Edited by Professor Buzzkill
  • Like 1

Pulitzer told the Boston Standard that the sword was hauled onto a fishing boat decades ago, but was kept secret because the finder and his son feared they would be punished due to strict laws in Nova Scotia regarding retrieving treasures from shipwrecks.

Sounds like someone is trying to drum up interest to hook some investors.

• Like 9

Yeah right!

When actual Archeologists are working the wreck then I will believe.

The Sword looks like it has fake Patina on it?

• Like 3

During the Roman era the ships used by various powers of the time were all "coast-crawlers" and unsuitable for lengthy ocean voyages out of site of land. If (and it's a big "if") a wreck of a Roman era vessel was at the location mentioned, it would be more likely to be the result of a ship becoming lost in a storm in the east Atlantic - perhaps on a trip to Roman Britain - and ending up shipwrecked in the west. I am very skeptical that there was any regular passages of ships from the ancient Roman world to the New World, or that it could be claimed the Romans "discovered" the Americas.

• Like 8

Roman Sword and shipwreck discovered off Oak Island will forever change history

Researchers investigating Oak Island, one of the most mysterious areas to the south shore of Nova Scotia have made one of the most important historical discoveries of the century after finding a ceremonial sword and what is believed to be a Roman shipwreck which suggests that ancient mariners visited North America a thousand years before Columbus did, changing everything we have been told in history books.

2189413342_zps6gla1eg6.jpg

more here

http://www.ancient-code.com/startling-new-discovery-on-oak-island-will-rewrite-history-according-to-researchers/

The History Channel? Well, must be credible.

post-18342-0-83163000-1450357710_thumb.j

• Like 4

The History Channel’s series Curse of Oak Island, now in its third season, follows the Lagina brothers as they attempt to discover the island’s long-held secret.

Now lead researcher and historic investigator J. Hutton Pulitzer, who also features on the show, has put a large white paper together

More on J. Hutton Pulitzer.

• Like 3

So they didn't actually dig this sword up someone else found it decades ago. So how are we suppose to know exactly where it came from.

I use to watch the history channel show Oak Island but it got boring so I stopped.

• Like 1

Researchers investigating the mysterious Oak Island, located on the south shore of Nova Scotia, Canada, have made a startling announcement regarding the discovery of a Roman ceremonial sword and what is believed to be a Roman shipwreck, radically suggesting that ancient mariners visited North America more than a thousand years before Columbus.

Evidence of the finding, which was exclusively revealed to Johnston Press and published in The Boston Standard, was uncovered by researchers involved in The History Channel’s series Curse of Oak Island, which details the efforts of two brothers from Michigan as they attempt to solve the mystery of the Oak Island treasure and discover historical artifacts believed to be concealed on the island.

Read more: http://www.ancient-o...3#ixzz3uYMFKvSG

I have to agree that the sword looks a lot like a replica, and not an actual Roman sword. You'd think if it had been exposed to sea water that whole time it would show some serious erosion, not just discoloration.

It doesn't appear to have any runnel at all, and is cast of one piece. This would be a child's toy after the introduction of iron and steel swords.

• Like 2

I have to agree that the sword looks a lot like a replica, and not an actual Roman sword. You'd think if it had been exposed to sea water that whole time it would show some serious erosion, not just discoloration.

It doesn't appear to have any runnel at all, and is cast of one piece. This would be a child's toy after the introduction of iron and steel swords.

Hence why they're referring to it as a "ceremonial" sword.

Roman Sword and shipwreck discovered off Oak Island will forever change history[/quet]

/facepalm

[quet]Researchers investigating Oak Island, one of the most mysterious areas to the south shore of Nova Scotia have made one of the most important historical discoveries of the century after finding a ceremonial sword and what is believed to be a Roman shipwreck which suggests that ancient mariners visited North America a thousand years before Columbus did...

It does not suggest that at all.

And why would "Roman explorers" carry a ceremonial sword?

The lack of critical thinking is epidemic.

...changing everything we have been told in history books.

And why would it do that? ALL OF HISTORY must be changed?

• Like 2

During the Roman era the ships used by various powers of the time were all "coast-crawlers" and unsuitable for lengthy ocean voyages out of site of land. If (and it's a big "if") a wreck of a Roman era vessel was at the location mentioned, it would be more likely to be the result of a ship becoming lost in a storm in the east Atlantic - perhaps on a trip to Roman Britain - and ending up shipwrecked in the west. I am very skeptical that there was any regular passages of ships from the ancient Roman world to the New World, or that it could be claimed the Romans "discovered" the Americas.

Yeah you're probably right about this.

This was exciting "news" for about a minute.

Oh yeah " The Curse of Oak Island " on the History Channel, think I'll move along my BS detector is ringing......

• Like 2

So they didn't actually dig this sword up someone else found it decades ago. So how are we suppose to know exactly where it came from.

I use to watch the history channel show Oak Island but it got boring so I stopped.

Exactly. The provenance is not very solid. If they excavate the wreck and find more however ....

• Like 1

Wasn't the ancient Romans more interested in Egypt?

They haven't found anything besides what may or may not be a Roman sword and now we need to rewrite history? I have a feeling we'll never hear anything else about this.

Even in the Mediterranean ships would get lost or sunk if they ventured too far from the sight of land.

I will admit to being excited at first when I read the title, but after reading up on it all clues point at best to object of uncertain origin, at worse to fraud.

Colaviti has a good article here:

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/j-hutton-pulitzer-alleges-a-roman-sword-was-found-off-oak-island-several-decades-ago

Edited by KolchacktheNightStalker
  • Like 4

I for one think that ancient seafarers conducted trade between the continents of North and South America and the civilized world. Too many reasons for it not to have happened.

I for one think that ancient seafarers conducted trade between the continents of North and South America and the civilized world. Too many reasons for it not to have happened.

Okay, what are those "too many reasons" please?

Because, as a counter, there are too many reason for it NOT to happen as well.

And why, during those times, are North and South America not part of the civilized world? Why would anyone trade with them, then?

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard
  • Like 1

The whole thing is extremely unlikely, so it seems to me that those who jump to its defense are being fools. I guess there is nothing wrong with being a fool.

• Like 1

So-called historic investigator J. Hutton Pulitzer and his group of academics from the AAPS (Ancient Artifact Preservation Society)are morons evidently. The Romans were terrible at seafaring (read Cornelius Tacitus, among others) If there is merit to the story, it would be the seafaring nation of Carthage, who would have many Roman swords having skirmished with the Romans over a long period. These idiots couldn't think their way out of a mental paper bag. As for the claim, it is dubious at best and can only be verified if the shipwreck was to be located.

Edited by Jungleboogie
  • Like 3