Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why so many ghosts from the 1800s?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16    Dreamer

Dreamer

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 04:44 AM

Hmm... I live in a very small town, and we only have four well known local ghost stories.  Three of which happened recently in the last hundred years.  Only one is actually what i would consider old.  We dont know how old... but old enough no one remembers the story behind the hauntings.  (someone should make a post for local ghost stories) happy.gif

Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning.

#17    lee77

lee77

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 05:14 AM

Until March 2003, I lived in an apartment complex that is said to be one of the most haunted locations around although it is only 40-years-old, having been constructed in 1964.  It started out with only a single ghost, a banshee-type spirit that cried from a nearby hillock just before a resident of the apartments died.  Over the years, it acquired more and more ghosts, including the spirit of a former manager, or "Lady in Red"; two phantom cats, one white, the other black; a phantom black car from the 1960s; the spirits of a woman and boy, also from the 1960s--he always appeared wearing a "Herman's Hermits" t-shirt; whispering noises and the sounds of phantom voices; a baby crying in the night when no one living there had a baby; lights flashing on and off; unexplained streaks of blood on carpets, towels, shower curtains, etc.; blue lights floating about inside the haunted apartment that was never rented; inexplicable cold winds blowing through apartments when no doors or windows were open; and many other strange occurrences.  Last March 16, a lady who had lived there for more than 20 years died and within two weeks of her death, people were claiming to have seen her ghost.   The apartment where she lived was rented in June, but the people stayed less than a week, leaving in the middle of the night.

I have always wondered why some locations seem to attract spirits while others, which have just as many deaths, etc. have none at all.

#18    Elfstone810

Elfstone810

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

• "Today there is no day or night.
    Today there is no wrong or right.
    Today there is no black or white --
    only shades of grey."

Posted 13 December 2004 - 06:45 AM

Also, the dinosaurs were reptiles and I've never heard of a ghost snake or lizard.

Oh!  One of the coolest ghost stories I know!  This is from a book about ghosts in the northwest US.  (I've read about every ghost book I could get my hands on since I was a little kid.  Sorry I can't always remember the names. I can find out if anyone wants to know.)

Anyway, a family went for a day trip to a nature preserve somewhere in Oregon.  While they were there they caught a snake and the boys wanted to take it home.  Oddly enough, Mom said no.  disgust.gif  So instead of taking the snake home they decided to just take a picture of it.  The dad held the snake and the mom carefully focused the camera and took a picture and then they let it go.

When they got home and had the film developed they had a perfect picture . . . of the man's empty hands.  cool.gif

Loretta

The kitty made me do it!

Visit My Website
My Blog

#19    Medusa

Medusa

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 21 posts

• Alien Abductee

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:05 PM

This turned into a pretty interesting topic! You folks have some good theories. It's true not *all* ghost stories are from the 1800s but just seems like you hear more about them, I guess because, like you guys mentioned, the stories have been around so long. And who's to say that we're not surrounded by modern ghosts all the time? I surely don't touch everyone I see to see if they're real! Hell, I try not to touch anyone!  happy.gif

Ghost dinosaurs! That's tooo funny! And ghost animals - I never thought about it. I guess animals just generally don't have the desire to come back. Like snakes don't have relatives and friends - you know, things they'll miss.

Interesting... Thanks!

"Alcohol: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems." - Homer Simpson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users