Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nikola Tesla: Metaphysical Muse & Scientist

SSilhouette

This is a thread to discuss the genius and metaphysical beliefs of Nikola Tesla. I'll leave the intro up to "Passing Time" because I have a feeling he has a greater aptitude for researching an intro than I do. But if he doesn't, I'll post more when I get around to researching Tesla more.

Tesla drone pioneer?

https://www.pbs.org/tesla/ins/lab_remotec.html

Tesla fluorescent lighting pioneer?

https://www.pbs.org/tesla/ins/lab_imlight.html

Edited by davros of skaro

The most I ever learned about Tesla was from a Clive Cussler novel called MIRAGE. :) The guy was apparently a bizarre and scary intelligent man.

• Like 1

This is a thread to discuss the genius and metaphysical beliefs of Nikola Tesla. I'll leave the intro up to "Passing Time" because I have a feeling he has a greater aptitude for researching an intro than I do. But if he doesn't, I'll post more when I get around to researching Tesla more.

My hero the scientist who dared to go where others wouldn't. He studied a mysterious ether which could transmit and control energies from one realm of existence to another and link communication with generally unknown and unperceived intelligences. Considered a mad scientist by most but he had a gift of genius. Part of ether was manipulated by his electrical experiments, his theories of ether touched a spitualism base of interdemensional possibilities and teleportation through some kind of time dimensions in space. Mad no, genius yes. He went way out of the box of current science and speculation in his study and experiments.

Edited by White Unicorn
  • Like 2

“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.” - Tesla

One of my favorite quotes of all time.

• Like 4

“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.” - Tesla

By some notes I read of his he definitely was in touch with what some people call the astral realms and the relationships between them and us not the typical supernatural view of their manifestations. He understood it was the majic of physics time and space not some mythical God angel ghosts or aliens believer but it was a belief of deeper nature and intellegences that we just didn't understand how to communicate or use knowledge of energy to tap into other dimensions and powers of reality that surround us in the material world. He saw interactions of an ether that others ignored.

Edited by White Unicorn
  • Like 1

By some notes I read of his he definitely was in touch with what some people call the astral realms and the relationships between them and us not the typical supernatural view of their manifestations. He understood it was the majic of physics time and space not some mythical God angel ghosts or aliens but of natures and intellegences but we just didn't understand how to communicate or use knowledge of energy to tap into other dimensions and powers of reality that surround us.

Agreed and hopefully if we're ever lucky enough to have another man like him we will be wise enough to listen.

• Like 1

Agreed and hopefully if we're ever lucky enough to have another man like him we will be wise enough to listen.

The world changed by the knowledge gained from his experiments. It would be much more different had he lived longer and the greedy powers that be had accepted his ideas instead of stealing his patents and fighting things like his free energy transmission of electricity instead of using wires for profit. I believe he had much more to offer us than electrical knowledge which would prove a link to other powers we don't use or appreciate because of the standards of society and narrow view on the paranormal type of things he tried to comprehend as a scientist not fantastic or imagined.

Tesla is easily one of the most fascinating individuals to have ever lived.

The Problem of Increasing Human Energy.

http://www.tfcbooks..../1900-06-00.htm

There seems to be no philosophical necessity for food. We can conceive of organized beings living without nourishment, and deriving all the energy they need for the performance of their life functions from the ambient medium. In a crystal we have the clear evidence of the existence of a formative life-principle, and though we cannot understand the life of a crystal, it is none the less a living being. There may be, besides crystals, other such individualized, material systems of beings, perhaps of gaseous constitution, or composed of substance still more tenuous. In view of this possibility,—nay, probability, we cannot apodictically deny the existence of organized beings on a planet merely because the conditions on the same are unsuitable for the existence of life as we conceive it. We cannot even, with positive assurance, assert that some of them might not be present here, in this our world, in the very midst of us, for their constitution and life-manifestation may be such that we are unable to perceive them.

There can be no doubt that, of all the frictional resistances, the one that most retards human movement is ignorance. Not without reason said that man of wisdom, Buddha: "Ignorance is the greatest evil in the world." The friction which results from ignorance, and which is greatly increased owing to the numerous languages and nationalities, can be reduced only by the spread of knowledge and the unification of the heterogeneous elements of humanity. No effort could be better spent. But however ignorance may have retarded the onward movement of man in times past, it is certain that, nowadays, negative forces have become of greater importance. Among these there is one of far greater moment than any other. It is called organized warfare.
  • Like 4

Tesla is easily one of the most fascinating individuals to have ever lived.

The Problem of Increasing Human Energy.

http://www.tfcbooks..../1900-06-00.htm

Thanks for the link. I think is says much about the way he thought.

And one of the most non-productive ideas ever dreamt up.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 2

Tesla was a great engineer. Scientist, not so much.

He was great at taking other people's ideas and turning them into something usable. That is his legacy. His later, far our fantasies are just that, fantasies. And sadly in his later years he went completely bonkers.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 2

With the way research in to psychedelics has been progressing, in the near future we may very well be studying an entirely new, non-physical "realm"

He was great at taking other people's ideas and turning them into something usable. That is his legacy. His later, far our fantasies are just that, fantasies. And sadly in his later years he went completely bonkers.

Can you elaborate on that? I always thought it was the other way around, with every one else taking his ideas.

<snip>

Can you elaborate on that? I always thought it was the other way around, with every one else taking his ideas.

Tesla was great at taking other people's work and turning it into something practical. For instance, all his work on electricity and magnetism was based on the works of Oersted and Maxwell, among others, so they had laid down the foundation for him. Thus he was great at engineering practical stuff from other people's theories, whereas his science, especially in his latter years, was pretty "out there" and had little relation to objective reality. Hence my comment. Then again, one can of course always argue that the line between scientist and engineer is not clear cut, but rather blurry.

I hope that makes sense.

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

Cheers,

Badeskov

Not a great scientist?

Would be interested in hearing how you justify that statement, because what you've provided here most certainly does not accomplish that.

Edited by PrisonerX
  • Like 1

Not a great scientist?

Would be interested in hearing how you justify that statement, because what you've provided here most certainly does not accomplish that.

Please read my comment above to Dark_Grey to see elaboration on what I meant. When that is said, would you care to present the greatest scientific accomplishments of Tesla, because I would be most interested in learning what those would be?

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

Please read my comment above to Dark_Grey to see elaboration on what I meant. When that is said, would you care to present the greatest scientific accomplishments of Tesla, because I would be most interested in learning what those would be?

Cheers,

Badeskov

AC current is the most obvious. The hydroelectic power plant at Niagra Falls. Radio.

http://www.livescience.com/45950-nikola-tesla-biography.html

Side note: The man whose quote you have under your AV was a good friend of Tesla and held him in high esteem. Certainly all things point to him having considered Tesla to be an absolutely brilliant scientist.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Scientists build off of the work of those who came before them. It's how it's done.

AC current is the most obvious.

Tesla did not invent AC nor did he further the scientific side of it. He engineered it to be practical. And that is the crux of the matter. What Tesla engineered was the AC motor and power transmission. Others before him had laid the ground work out for him. He just understood how to make those concepts practical.

The hydroelectic power plant at Niagra Falls.

Pure engineering work. people before him had already figured out how to make an AC generator.

Radio.

Many people laid out the ground work for radio before Tesla made one. Again, engineering based on numerous other people's work. He did not further science, here merely proved a concept by putting something together. Naturally, that requires genius, but a practical engineering genius. He was not the theoretical genius that could build on other people's work and further science.

http://www.livescien...-biography.html

Side note: The man whose quote you have under your AV was a good friend of Tesla and held him in high esteem. Certainly all things point to him having considered Tesla to be an absolutely brilliant scientist.

Why? Maybe he saw him as a brilliant engineer,

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Scientists build off of the work of those who came before them. It's how it's done.

Indeed. But you are really only a scientist if your further science. I have still to figure out where Tesla did that. But then again, the line between science and engineering can be blurred. I just don't see him as the great scientist that some want to make him out to be. But a great engineer, that nobody can take away from him as that he was.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Edited to add: link and missing sentence.

Edited by badeskov
  • Like 1

Tesla did not invent AC nor did he further the scientific side of it. He engineered it to be practical. And that is the crux of the matter. What Tesla engineered was the AC motor and power transmission. Others before him had laid the ground work out for him. He just understood how to make those concepts practical.

Pure engineering work. people before him had already figured out how to make an AC generator.

Many people laid out the ground work for radio before Tesla made one. Again, engineering based on numerous other people's work. He did not further science, here merely proved a concept by putting something together. Naturally, that requires genius, but a practical engineering genius. He was not the theoretical genius that could build on other people's work and further science.

http://www.livescien...-biography.html

Why? Maybe he saw him as a brilliant engineer,

Indeed. But you are really only a scientist if your further science. I have still to figure out where Tesla did that. But then again, the line between science and engineering can be blurred. I just don't see him as the great scientist that some want to make him out to be. But a great engineer, that nobody can take away from him as that he was.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Edited to add: link and missing sentence.

The Tesla Coil was an incredibly educational invention. His induction motor is considered by many to be one of the greatest inventions of all time. But never mind all that, the man actually has a unit named after him (talk about scientific honors):

unit.jpg

http://www.britannica.com/science/tesla

Great scientist, imo. But you're entitled to yours.

Edited by PrisonerX
  • Like 1

The Tesla Coil was an incredibly educational invention. His induction motor is considered by many to be one of the greatest inventions of all time. But never mind all that, the man actually has a unit named after him (talk about scientific honors):

unit.jpg

http://www.britannic...m/science/tesla

So? Whether a great engineer or a great scientist, he still deserves credit.

Great scientist, imo. But you're entitled to yours.

Fair enough. We will just have to disagree - no problem with that :-)

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 2

Like Quantum Mechanics you mean?

Tesla is appealing to me because he really brought out the idea of using things like Quantum Mechanics to define psychic or paranormal phenomenon. He just skipped over the "people won't approve" part and went fearlessly straight into the "let's try to describe these things that are happening despite skeptics making a religion that they're all just mass hysteria or figments of people's imaginations". Metaphorically,he thought that the platypus might be studied instead of scoffed at. He wanted to see, surrounded by peals of laughter.. why a mammal lays eggs,

Edited by SSilhouette
  • Like 1

Tesla is appealing to me because he really brought out the idea of using things like Quantum Mechanics to define psychic or paranormal phenomenon. He just skipped over the "people won't approve" part and went fearlessly straight into the "let's try to describe these things that are happening despite skeptics making a religion that they're all just mass hysteria or figments of people's imaginations". Metaphorically,he thought that the platypus might be studied instead of scoffed at. He wanted to see, surrounded by peals of laughter.. why a mammal lays eggs,

I do not understand why he appeals to you then. He had his failures, and had to live with them, the path he took were of existing systems that he improved, he didn;t imagine things and then try and make them, he worked with things that existed and made them better. You are nothing like that in any way from what I have seen.

People get such mixed ideas about Tesla. I rather like him and what he did, really I do, but I do not like the fringe attributed to him.

• Like 1

He was so much ahead of his time that his way of thinking, his philosophy seemed so supernatural in many cases, especially back then. I have read a lot of mystical stuff about his experiments but it's hard to say if those articles were not just some internet scam stories. Many of those internet articles and stuff about him are actually legit, true stories and results of experiments.

His ideas, for example the way how he describes wireless world wide communications to every detail. Man, back in his time that was amazing. It just shows great level of his understanding and ability to complete complex ideas ( in theory and sometimes in practical experiments ) just by using current technological advances in the field, basically building puzzle out of knowing only some fundamental rules. Great man.

• Like 4

He was so much ahead of his time that his way of thinking, his philosophy seemed so supernatural in many cases, especially back then. I have read a lot of mystical stuff about his experiments but it's hard to say if those articles were not just some internet scam stories. Many of those internet articles and stuff about him are actually legit, true stories and results of experiments.

His ideas, for example the way how he describes wireless world wide communications to every detail. Man, back in his time that was amazing. It just shows great level of his understanding and ability to complete complex ideas ( in theory and sometimes in practical experiments ) just by using current technological advances in the field, basically building puzzle out of knowing only some fundamental rules. Great man.

Actually in Tesla's time there was quite a metaphysical/spiritualist movement going on...at least the tail end of it. Off and on.

• Like 1