Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China Backs Palestinian State

EEHC

China Supports East Jerusalem As Capital Of Sovereign Palestinian State - President Xi

''China has openly declared that it supports the independence of a Palestinian state which has East Jerusalem as its capital. Addressing the Arab League, the Chinese president also announced a $7.6mn grant for a solar power project to improve Palestinians’ well-being.

Speaking for the first time at Arab League headquarters in Egypt, Chinese President Xi Jinping stressed that the Palestinian issue should not be marginalized, as he declared Beijing’s support for the Palestinian peace process.''

RT link: https://www.rt.com/n...erusalem-china/

See also:

Chinese President Declare Support For Palestinian State:

Ynetnews link: http://www.ynetnews....4756386,00.html

Edited by EEHC
  • Like 2

Of course China backs weakening Americas strongest ally in the middle east.

• Like 2

What's in it for China?

Wouldn't be possible that the emergence of BRIC, the getting rid gradually of the US $ by Russia and China, the increased spending of Russia, China, and Iran (not sure) on military hardware? may be a sign that the American Power over the World is slowly changing hands?, it looks like it, only an hypothesis.

• Like 1

China looking to project its power over the globe. Is there any where they haven't given aid to?

• Like 1

What's in it for China?

IMO, China has their eye on this:

"with the potential reserve size being estimated at 16 trillion cubic feet (450 billion cubic metres)"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviathan_gas_field

Friendly relations with the Palestinians and Lebanon will ensure future access to all that energy.

• Like 1

IMO, China has their eye on this:

"with the potential reserve size being estimated at 16 trillion cubic feet (450 billion cubic metres)"

https://en.wikipedia...athan_gas_field

Friendly relations with the Palestinians and Lebanon will ensure future access to all that energy.

Since it is Israel that will control this field, I'm not sure how anyone bolstering their enemies will look to benefit. Mind you, I said Israel control it, not that they will necessarily be the sole beneficiaries of it. IOW China would do well not to anger Israel if it wants to benefit from that gas. The world is slowly pushing Israel into a corner where the Palestinians are concerned. They have to understand the end game of the Palestinians yet they still support them. Only war can result.
  • Like 1

Maybe, and here is Captain Insane Optimism speaking, China gets Palestine on side so as to attempt to broker a peace?

A genuinely impartial outsider stepping in etc.

• Like 2

Since it is Israel that will control this field, I'm not sure how anyone bolstering their enemies will look to benefit. Mind you, I said Israel control it, not that they will necessarily be the sole beneficiaries of it. IOW China would do well not to anger Israel if it wants to benefit from that gas. The world is slowly pushing Israel into a corner where the Palestinians are concerned. They have to understand the end game of the Palestinians yet they still support them. Only war can result.

Really, why would China even need to worry about Isreal ?

• Like 1

Since it is Israel that will control this field, I'm not sure how anyone bolstering their enemies will look to benefit.

It's just my opinion, but I don't think China has anything to lose by supporting the 2-State solution that the UN and the Israeli Left support (The latest UN vote was 165-6 in favor of). It's being marketed as the "middle of the road" solution to peace in the Middle East, so a minor political shift away from the center-right Likud party in Israel would put China in the center of world opinion, meanwhile gaining favor with a Left-leaning Israeli government.

China is gaining favor with Middle-Eastern countries:

"At the same time, the Chinese experience of economic growth without significant political liberalization remains an interesting, if not outright attractive, example for some Middle Eastern regimes."

http://csis.org/prog...ina-middle-east

China appears to be clearing a path for pipelines to the Mediterranean Sea and/or the Arabian Sea. If China succeeds in "unleashing" cooperation between all of those countries, the next step would be to ensure future "friendly" access to the Leviathan gas fields (if Lebanon succeeds in expanding their territorial water rights) and the Zohr gas fields off the coast of Egypt:

BEIJING, Jan. 23 (Xinhua) -- "With the further dovetailing of development strategies of China and the Middle East, enormous cooperation potential will be unleashed, thanks to Chinese President Xi Jinping's ongoing trip. Xi's three-nation tour, which has taken him to Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Iran, has helped further link China's westward opening strategy and its Middle East partners' looking-east policy, in a move that has lifted bilateral ties to a new high and brought vitality to their interaction."

http://news.xinhuane...c_135038726.htm

China has an advantage over the West, in that they've stayed away from much of the military action in the Middle East. Supporting the 2-State Solution will further increase China's status in the eyes of anti-Israel governments in the Middle East, while a pro-Israel Republican win in the next US elections would increase America's status as the "Great Satan," thereby increasing China's image as a friendly economic (and military?) partner.

Overall, I see a win-win for China.

Edited by simplybill

Really, why would China even need to worry about Isreal ?

Oh, I don't know, maybe because it's one of the top 10 militaries in the world or that it takes next to no effort to continually sabotage any drilling or piping system from such a facility? Or do you think only Islamic terror types know how to do such things? ;) No, Israel will have a say in how that gas is used, a big one.

ETA - and since it was an Israeli company in conjunction with a US firm that found the bloody thing, why shouldn't they have a major say?

Edited by and then

Really, why would China even need to worry about Israel ?

That's a good question, Mr. Bassoon. I'm wondering what else they've been discussing during President Xi's Middle East visit?

This is all conjecture: with Israel out of the way, the entire southern and eastern coasts of the Mediterranean Sea, up to the border of Greece, would be under Islamic control. It wouldn't be necessary to completely destroy Israel, as the implementation of the 2-State solution would allow the Islamic Republic of Palestine to open its borders to mass migration of refugees from war-torn Muslim countries, leaving Israel surrounded on all sides. Israel's nuclear option would be a less viable means of defense when the enemy is only 20 miles down the road.

In that scenario, China would have access to unlimited energy, and radical Islam would have easy access to Europe.

Or perhaps I'm just over-thinking the situation...

That's a good question, Mr. Bassoon. I'm wondering what else they've been discussing during President Xi's Middle East visit?

This is all conjecture: with Israel out of the way, the entire southern and eastern coasts of the Mediterranean Sea, up to the border of Greece, would be under Islamic control. It wouldn't be necessary to completely destroy Israel, as the implementation of the 2-State solution would allow the Islamic Republic of Palestine to open its borders to mass migration of refugees from war-torn Muslim countries, leaving Israel surrounded on all sides. Israel's nuclear option would be a less viable means of defense when the enemy is only 20 miles down the road.

In that scenario, China would have access to unlimited energy, and radical Islam would have easy access to Europe.

Or perhaps I'm just over-thinking the situation...

As with so many others, you ignore or underestimate the actual plan of the Palestinians. Even if a 2 state solution were made, it would only be temporary since the Palestinian conflict isn't about some of the land, it's about ALL the land. This is a fact whether it is recognized by others or not. Israel would face annihilation so the use of a nuke wouldn't be restricted by proximity of the blast area to their homes since they'd only go nuclear if the end of their nation was happening. But the point I was making is that the IDF or other security organs of the government could easily, continually sabotage the flow of the resource so some sort of accommodation with Israel would HAVE to be made, period.

As with so many others, you ignore or underestimate the actual plan of the Palestinians. Even if a 2 state solution were made, it would only be temporary since the Palestinian conflict isn't about some of the land, it's about ALL the land. This is a fact whether it is recognized by others or not. Israel would face annihilation so the use of a nuke wouldn't be restricted by proximity of the blast area to their homes since they'd only go nuclear if the end of their nation was happening. But the point I was making is that the IDF or other security organs of the government could easily, continually sabotage the flow of the resource so some sort of accommodation with Israel would HAVE to be made, period.

and then -

Yes, I was ignoring the Palestinian plans for total ownership of Israel. Mr Bassoon's question was:

Really, why would China even need to worry about Israel ?

I was responding from the perspective of "What's in it for China?" Why would President Xi leave a meeting with the Arab League and talk about the 2-State Solution, unless it had been discussed in the meeting?

IMO, The 2-State Solution isn't about the Palestinians, it's about the other Middle-Eastern countries keeping the Palestinians sequestered away from everyone else. Nobody in the Arab or Persian world wants to take responsibility for the Palestinians, and no one anywhere is going to let the Palestinians overrun Israel and get their hands on nuclear weapons. (China included.)

IMO, a multi-nation, Armageddon-style attack will be about more than just destroying the Jews: It will be a free-for-all over who gets control of Israel's assets.

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 1

No need for global conflict paranoia :

Israel's International Relations:

Israel-China Relations

(Updated January 2016)

• jewish virtual library org link

~

China and Israel: 50 Years of Bilateral Relations, 1948-98

• ajc archives pdf link

~

A Great Leap Forward?

Maisie Meyer unravels the complexities of Sino-Jewish relations

Maisie Meyer | Spring 2005 - Number 197

Sun, January 24th 2016 - 14th Shvat, 5776

Historical Overview

Although there were almost no foreign Jews living in China from the mid-1960s to the end of the 1970s, the relationship between Jews and Chinese goes back centuries. Indeed China has been host to four separate Jewish communities.

Maisie Meyer was awarded a PhD from the London School of Economics in 1994. She is the author of From the Rivers of Babylon to the Whangpoo: A Century of Sephardi Jewish Life in Shanghai (2003).

`

• Jewish Quarterly link

~

Tea Leaf Nation

Netanyahu, Shanghai, and the Communist Party’s Forbidden History

How the Israeli embassy just waded into one of China's most controversial wartime debates.

On Aug. 26, the Israeli Embassy in China posted a one-minute video to its official account on Weibo, China’s huge microblogging platform, thanking the coastal Chinese city of Shanghai for its role sheltering roughly 20,000 Jews fleeing persecution before and during World War II. The sleek bilingual video seemed intended as an emotive tribute as well as an astute diplomatic gesture — China, a big buyer of Israel’s military technology, has recently solicited greater international recognition for its wartime contributions. Titled “Thank You, Shanghai,” the video showed some of the elderly Jews who had found safe haven in Shanghai — including Haifa mayor Yona Yahav and Nobel Prize recipient Robert Yisrael Aumann — posing with their children and grandchildren and holding signs in English, Chinese, and Hebrew that read “Thank you.” The video concluded with a personal message from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who said in English with Chinese subtitles, “We are eternally grateful and we will never forget. Thank you.”

`

~

Israeli film thanks city for protecting Jews

CCTV.com

08-28-2015 12:39 BJT

Full coverage: 70th Anniv. of Victory of Anti-Japanese Aggression War

Full coverage: Jewish World War II Refugees in China

Israel has released a film of gratitude in Shanghai to thank the city for what it did for Jewish people during World War II. It is part of Israel's contribution to mark the 70th anniversary of the end of the war.

The film, "Thank you Shanghai," was unveiled at the Israeli consulate in the city. The film was produced in Israel and involved hundreds of Israelis.

They are holding "Thank you" posters and banners in three different languages: Chinese, Hebrew and English.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu makes an appearance in the film.

"Shanghai offered the Jewish people shelter. I had visited those places that hosted them. These are strong and encouraging memories to many. The close friendship between the people of Israel and China is forged through history. We are forever indebted to the Chinese and would never forget the past. Thank you," Netanyahu said.

`

• english cntv cn link

~

A simple and natural progression of diplomacy over antagonistic policies ~

~

• Like 1

third_eye,

I agree that China and Israel have good relations. As I said in post #14, from China's point of view it wouldn't be necessary to destroy Israel in order for China to reap the benefits of good relations with the Arab nations and Iran. From a business standpoint, peace in the Middle East would be a financial boon for everyone. However, I find it interesting that President Xi would leave a business meeting in Egypt, and then talk to the media about Israeli/Palestinian relations. I'm wondering what kind of back-room deals were made that prompted President Xi's to make those comments.

third_eye,

I agree that China and Israel have good relations. As I said in post #14, from China's point of view it wouldn't be necessary to destroy Israel in order for China to reap the benefits of good relations with the Arab nations and Iran. From a business standpoint, peace in the Middle East would be a financial boon for everyone. However, I find it interesting that President Xi would leave a business meeting in Egypt, and then talk to the media about Israeli/Palestinian relations. I'm wondering what kind of back-room deals were made that prompted President Xi's to make those comments.

I can't say with any kind of authority but one thing I can say for certainty is China and its foreign representatives is not prone to back room dealings contrary to most claims and Western dispositions, kinda one of the many reasons where the US and China has a poor record of diplomatic dealings ... just to present an example is the cross straits relations between Taiwan and Mainland China ~ this question of Palestine Statehood Status has been on the table for a long time ... I think this is more in relation to Iran's Sanctions being alleviated and the stink it is raising in the US Domestic Politics ~

` All forms of Financial and Economic boon will mean nothing if there are no concerted effort to maintain some form of Diplomatic Overtures in accordance to peaceful resolutions where all the Leaders in the region makes the effort to attain some form of ties that is workable for the near and far future ~ whether it is successful is still left to be seen but as far as things goes as it is going now, at least we are seeing that whatever it is agreeable or not, those that wishes to work for a resolution should be accountable if not held responsible for the consequences.

~

third_eye,

I see your point. Instead of accusing China of participating in shady "back-room deals", maybe I should have asked, "What's the rest of the story?"

It just seems curious to me that President Xi and the Arab League were discussing Israeli/Palestinian relations.

third_eye,

I see your point. Instead of accusing China of participating in shady "back-room deals", maybe I should have asked, "What's the rest of the story?"

It just seems curious to me that President Xi and the Arab League were discussing Israeli/Palestinian relations.

That's well beyond what I can even guess at, for the time being my guess would be the One Belt One Road Initiative :

China’s One Belt One Road Initiative: What we know thus far

Submitted by Bert Hofman tw1.gif On Fri, 12/04/2015

`

• blogs world bank link

~

A brilliant plan

One Belt, One Road

Xi Jinping’s ambitious strategic initiative – an adaptation of the historical Silk Road – could sow the seeds for a new geopolitical era

Head of China-HK strategy and Head of China Industrial Research provide an indepth analysis on what to expect in their Obor Silk Belt and Sea Road reports, available exclusively to CLSA clients.

~

as for the rest of the story I guess we'll just have to wait and see ~

~

• Like 1

third_eye -

The CSLA link about One Belt, One Road was interesting. I see on their map that the route will extend north through the Adriatic Sea, rather than west across northern Africa, as I speculated earlier.

Edited by simplybill

third_eye -

The CSLA link about One Belt, One Road was interesting. I see on their map that the route will extend north through the Adriatic Sea, rather than west across northern Africa, as I speculated earlier.

early days still ~ its an open table and all are invited ... it depends on the initiatives and how and what the nations wants to contribute to it all ~

Third, China is a nation of contradictions. Alongside the above views and sentiments, many Chinese admire the accomplishments of the West and in many ways seek to emulate Western practices, especially in the economic and some social realms. And significant numbers of Chinese admire American freedoms and generally like the American people. For some of the older, educated generation, the pre-1949 history of Sino-American relations provides many examples of positive American behavior toward China. In addition, despite identification with the developing world and a strong suspicion of the supposedly arrogant and hegemonistic West, many Chinese take the historical view that the international system is in many ways hierarchical, and that larger, more imposing powers have a duty and responsibility to both guide and shape smaller powers in mutually beneficial directions. This is especially true for China’s relations with its smaller peripheral neighbors. For many Chinese, mutual respect, deference, and responsibility are a significant part of desired interstate behavior. This partly reflects not only China’s historical place in Asia, but also the general belief of many Chinese that adherence to proper principles of conduct should define relations in a hierarchical world. Hegemonic powers by definition don’t adhere to such proper principles.

• carnegie endowment org link

~

the geographic routes does apply when the African nations gets stabilized enough to get on board I believe ~

In a nutshell, OBOR envisions the creation of multiple economic corridors encompassing more than 60 countries in East Asia, Southeast Asia, Central Asia, South Asia, West Asia, North Africa and East Africa, linking the most dynamic East Asia Economic Zone with the advanced European Economic Zone. If we visualize OBOR, it is an economic partnership map with multiple interconnected rings.

President Xi describes OBOR as a “chorus”, not a soloist singing. OBOR transcends different Free Trade Agreements (FTAs), including the newly concluded TPP, in both scale and content. It envisions regional integration beyond pure economic union, forming a political community founded on common interest in an attempt to forge, as much as possible, a common cultural identity.

Second, OBOR looks to build “five connectivities” with a view of creating a community of nations with a common destiny. These “five connectivities” include policy consultation, infrastructure connectivity, free trade, free circulation of local currencies, and people-to-people connectivity. In sum, these connectivities denote the “big trends” in economic globalization and socialization, the information revolution, and shared economic growth.

• china us focus com link

~

• Like 1

and then -

Yes, I was ignoring the Palestinian plans for total ownership of Israel. Mr Bassoon's question was:

I was responding from the perspective of "What's in it for China?" Why would President Xi leave a meeting with the Arab League and talk about the 2-State Solution, unless it had been discussed in the meeting?

IMO, The 2-State Solution isn't about the Palestinians, it's about the other Middle-Eastern countries keeping the Palestinians sequestered away from everyone else. Nobody in the Arab or Persian world wants to take responsibility for the Palestinians, and no one anywhere is going to let the Palestinians overrun Israel and get their hands on nuclear weapons. (China included.)

IMO, a multi-nation, Armageddon-style attack will be about more than just destroying the Jews: It will be a free-for-all over who gets control of Israel's assets.

I see. Well you can imagine the chaos that will ensue, regardless the players or reasons when they make their attempt. I agree that there will be a mask for the hypocrites to wear while they try a second holocaust. Sad thing is they'll nearly succeed.
  • Like 1

I For one agree with China's support for a Palestinian state. A 2 state solution is the solution. I personally think that Palestine and Israel should be 1 state and given back to the Palestinians. Unfortunately that's not likely to happen. But a 2 state solution would be best for now.

The problem is that Netanyahu is a racist hatemongerer and doesn't want a 2 state solution. And as long as he and his despicable regime is around. there wont be any peace.

And also the problem is a lot of people buy into the anti arab, anti Palestinian propaganda.

By right Israel is important to Christians, Jews and Muslims and should and could be shared by all 3.

they could have a government made of jews,Christians and muslims. they could have a 2 state solution and they could get rid of the illegal settlers and give that land back to Palestine.

that way no more hoohah. but as I've said until Netanyahu goes and a more moderate government take place it won't happen.

I know posters will probably mention Hamas and the knife attacks by Palestinians. I'm sure if there was a solution then Hamas wouldn't be doing anything. abnd for the knife attacks, well of course it's wrong and I fuly condemn both sides when there using violence.