Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flight Over Dwarf Planet Ceres

Waspie_Dwarf

Flight Over Dwarf Planet Ceres

Take a flight over dwarf planet Ceres in this video made with images from NASA's Dawn spacecraft. The simulated flyover was made by the mission's camera team at Germany's national aeronautics and space research center (DLR).

Credit: NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Source: NASA/JPL - YouTube Channel

• Like 5

These are wonderful images and fascinating scenes - we live in an amazing age. But...

I wish NASA would NOT edit fake starry backgrounds onto these images. Do they really think the real imagery isn't enough? It seems to suggest that "this is what you would see if you were there with the spacecraft...", and that's just wrong.. Given the tinfoilhat conspiracies and the desperation with which some folks will search for any 'fakery' (no matter how well-intentioned) to label NASA as liars, it just gives them ammunition...

Maybe it's just nitpicking, but I really wish NASA would stick to reality and leave the cut and paste 'enhancements' to outside agencies and moviemakers..

• Like 1

These are wonderful images and fascinating scenes - we live in an amazing age. But...

I wish NASA would NOT edit fake starry backgrounds onto these images. Do they really think the real imagery isn't enough? It seems to suggest that "this is what you would see if you were there with the spacecraft...", and that's just wrong.. Given the tinfoilhat conspiracies and the desperation with which some folks will search for any 'fakery' (no matter how well-intentioned) to label NASA as liars, it just gives them ammunition...

Maybe it's just nitpicking, but I really wish NASA would stick to reality and leave the cut and paste 'enhancements' to outside agencies and moviemakers..

I can exactly see your point...

But it doesn't overly bother me. In watching the video, I found the fixed background provided a useful frame of reference to help me judge the motion/rotation of Ceres.

And to go with that video, here's another, rather more haunting one showing Huygens's descent:

Edited by Peter B