Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

No idea what i saw

Erica1987

Ok so I'm not a big believer in all this but I saw something I can't explain.

I live in a small-ish town called Horsham in West Sussex, I was walking home about three days ago it was late about 21:30-22:00 and I was walking down a road in front of Leachpool Woods when I heard an ear piercing scream I thought I was someone being attacked in the forest so I went to see if I could help but when I got into the car park I saw something that looked about the size of a deer but it had a long tail and cat like feet with what looked like large claws, the head was shaped like a dog with pointed ears that had a wide mid point like a leaf,

I was looking at this thing for about 15-30 second before it turned and looked at me and let out the scream I had heard before and ran into the trees.

Has anyone else seen/heard of anything like this?

• Like 2

i live in upstate ny and we have bobcats near me, they will scream i recall the first time i heard it i swore it was a woman in trouble was very human like and loud

• Like 3

i live in upstate ny and we have bobcats near me, they will scream i recall the first time i heard it i swore it was a woman in trouble was very human like and loud

I live in SC. Imagine one in your backyard. :cry::no:

• Like 1

Apart from the "size of a deer", it sounds remarkably like a fox.

What was the lighting like? At that time it should be pitch black, so guessing moon light which isn't best for judging size.

• Like 2

Is there any chance it could be a hyena that escaped from a zoo? I recall that the legendary Beast of Gevaudan was theorized to be an escaped hyena.

• Like 1

Deer aren't all that big, especially does, and some in built up areas aren't big at all. So "about the size of a deer" is a little imprecise. Could you give us something like 'about yea-high at the shoulder'?

If you saw claws then it was more likely a dog than a cat, since cats normally walk with their claws retracted. The exception is the cheeta, which has only 'semi-retractible' claws. I quite like the idea of cheetas in West Sussex, it's the kind of thing that was always getting telegrams sent to 221B Baker Street. :yes:

bobcats are in my back yard lol and as for deer not being that big you havnt seen a ny whitetail, 200lbs isnt uncommon, They sand approx 3-4 feet from ground to their shoulder so yeah pretty big animal.

• Like 1

n ow im not actually familiar with the ops local wildlife, but possible wolverine the sound and size doesnt match but description kinda fits,

• Like 1

Apart from the "size of a deer", it sounds remarkably like a fox.

What was the lighting like? At that time it should be pitch black, so guessing moon light which isn't best for judging size.

The tail was alot longer than a fox at least 2' long and the light wasn't amazing but it was artificial street lights

Edited by Erica1987

Is there any chance it could be a hyena that escaped from a zoo? I recall that the legendary Beast of Gevaudan was theorized to be an escaped hyena.

Always possible but don't hyena have a short tail? Also the nearest zoo I know of if in London about 50miles away

Deer aren't all that big, especially does, and some in built up areas aren't big at all. So "about the size of a deer" is a little imprecise. Could you give us something like 'about yea-high at the shoulder'?

If you saw claws then it was more likely a dog than a cat, since cats normally walk with their claws retracted. The exception is the cheeta, which has only 'semi-retractible' claws. I quite like the idea of cheetas in West Sussex, it's the kind of thing that was always getting telegrams sent to 221B Baker Street. :yes:

When I say the size of a stag I mean roughly 4-5' in height and by the same token I used the description of a cats foot because the feet looked more rounded like cat paws rather than the gentle point dog paws tend to have

n ow im not actually familiar with the ops local wildlife, but possible wolverine the sound and size doesnt match but description kinda fits,

Other than the size and sound its kinda close but unless someone imported it the chance of one living here is slim

Ok so I'm not a big believer in all this but I saw something I can't explain.

I live in a small-ish town called Horsham in West Sussex, I was walking home about three days ago it was late about 21:30-22:00 and I was walking down a road in front of Leachpool Woods when I heard an ear piercing scream I thought I was someone being attacked in the forest so I went to see if I could help but when I got into the car park I saw something that looked about the size of a deer but it had a long tail and cat like feet with what looked like large claws, the head was shaped like a dog with pointed ears that had a wide mid point like a leaf,

I was looking at this thing for about 15-30 second before it turned and looked at me and let out the scream I had heard before and ran into the trees.

Has anyone else seen/heard of anything like this?

This sounds extremely similar to what I saw and it was the same road if you want to please pm me and I would be happy to meet somewhere and talk in detail about what you saw.

This sounds extremely similar to what I saw and it was the same road if you want to please pm me and I would be happy to meet somewhere and talk in detail about what you saw.

I saw the post you put up a few years ago and linked it back on page 1. I do have a few things I want to know about what you saw like you describe it as being abit larger than what I saw and you talk about the claws in a way that makes them sound out of scale with the creature but what I saw had noticeably large claws but they fit the scale

The tail was alot longer than a fox at least 2' long and the light wasn't amazing but it was artificial street lights

A fox with a long tail then?

Unless you deal with measuring every day, I'd probably take a slight exaggeration into account which would also be contributed to poor lighting.

The average length of a foxes tail is 291 - 455mm , that's 29cm, which is just under a foot, to 45 centimeters, which is around 1.5ft long. There is only 6 inches difference between your approximation and average tail length.

I'm firmly on the fence that it was a fox, possibly a well fed larger specimen, or in poor lighting an average sized urban fox.

A fox with a long tail then?

Unless you deal with measuring every day, I'd probably take a slight exaggeration into account which would also be contributed to poor lighting.

The average length of a foxes tail is 291 - 455mm , that's 29cm, which is just under a foot, to 45 centimeters, which is around 1.5ft long. There is only 6 inches difference between your approximation and average tail length.

I'm firmly on the fence that it was a fox, possibly a well fed larger specimen, or in poor lighting an average sized urban fox.

Th average urban fox is approximately 1-1 1/2 feet in height and 3 in length what I saw was 3-4 feet in height so no its not a fox.

Also yes I do work with measurements on a daily basis in my work

Th average urban fox is approximately 1-1 1/2 feet in height and 3 in length what I saw was 3-4 feet in height so no its not a fox.

Also yes I do work with measurements on a daily basis in my work

Like I say, bad lighting.

The biggest fox killed in the UK was 4ft 9 in length and nearly as big as a roe dear.

Again, its more than likely a big fox.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...etland-17259087

Its an old article, but shows the size.

Edited by Redefining Success
  • Like 1

Like I say, bad lighting.

The biggest fox killed in the UK was 4ft 9 in length and nearly as big as a roe dear.

Again, its more than likely a big fox.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...etland-17259087

Its an old article, but shows the size.

If you look back I cay what the lightning was in a reply, I have no idea what I saw but I can say 100% it was not a fox

Have you had a look at the link on post 6 yet? Maybe something there you recognise.