Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Columbine Killer's Mother Talks

susieice

Columbine killer Dylan Klebold's mother gave an interview to Diane Sawyer on 20/20 Thursday night. This link is the interview in total. I find myself having sympathy for this poor woman, who had contacted all the families of his victims and for 17 yrs has felt the tremendous guilt of not having recognized that her son had issues. Eric Harris's parents have never really acknowledged his victims.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

This was an emotional episode to watch. I can't even imagine the regret the parents must live with. I know they were blamed heavily. and I know the mother said she wish she did more. But hind sight is 20/20 isn't it?

• Like 5

The problem is the blinkered view that many holds to be self evident ~ It is not a problem unless it is my problem

~

• Like 2

And her son had gotten into some scrapes where the family was given "professional" advice. The school councilor told her not to worry about the picture Dylan had drawn and when he broke into the van, the judge showed leniency because he didn't think the boy was likely to do it again. How could this mother have known how serious her son's mental condition was. If she hadn't heeded the advice of most councilors to respect her son's privacy, she may have been able to find what he was writing about suicide and gotten him help. Dylan's parents did actively deal with the issues they knew about, they just didn't realize how bad they really were. They enforced his probation and did their best to discipline him for his actions. They also didn't clearly see the influence his friend, Eric Harris, was having on him. Harris was a very deceptive boy. He could put on an act that would make you think he was never anything but sorry for whatever he did.

• Like 4

And her son had gotten into some scrapes where the family was given "professional" advice. The school councilor told her not to worry about the picture Dylan had drawn and when he broke into the van, the judge showed leniency because he didn't think the boy was likely to do it again. How could this mother have known how serious her son's mental condition was. If she hadn't heeded the advice of most councilors to respect her son's privacy, she may have been able to find what he was writing about suicide and gotten him help. Dylan's parents did actively deal with the issues they knew about, they just didn't realize how bad they really were. They enforced his probation and did their best to discipline him for his actions. They also didn't clearly see the influence his friend, Eric Harris, was having on him. Harris was a very deceptive boy. He could put on an act that would make you think he was never anything but sorry for whatever he did.

I'm sorry but I don't give the amount of absolution to these parents that other posters on this thread do. The website for the interview has unfortunately been deleted so I'm saying this without hearing what she had to say but I'm bringing your post forward here, Susie, because I think it's an example of some pretty good "passing the buck" on to others. There were actually a whole heck more strong evidence that these kids were mental cases that the parents SHOULD HAVE NOTICED ! After all, we are not talking about a low-income, single mother here who was working two jobs to keep her family feed and clothed. And we are certainly not talking about uneducated people who didn't have the ability to apply reality.

She waited 17 years to come up with this ? There were certainly no interview apologies offered from the parents at the time and I seem to remember that it was well reported at the time that one of these mothers was seen at the beauty shop getting her hair done as funeral arrangements for the victims were still underway. It also struck me that in your second link she states that all profits for the book are going to mental health charities. Although I'm glad if it's true that she doesn't mean to profit from this, it seems to me to also be deflected in a way from the actual victims left alive whose families must have been financially devastated. Nothing is offered here indicating that the perpetrators' families sold their houses, their cars and donated that, along with their personal savings and donated them to those left suffering. Because that's what they should have done not donate some unknown profit amount that isn't going to bother their own comfortable lifestyle.

I'm just not buying her applying ashes to her forehead now. I'll leave it with the last comment I read from the brother of the Sandy Hook monster which was that people just were not significantly aware of how this had also affected his own life ....... Think about that one for a minute. It tells you a little bit about the egocentric thinking pattern of the ENTIRE family. I feel like I'm going the wrong way at rush hour here but that's what I also see through in this woman.

Edited by Vincennes

This link to the interview should work.

https://www.youtube....h?v=vmt-v1DV_RA

Thank you ! I should have gone to youtube myself and looked around for it. I didn't mean not to do that. Because I've seen some of the docs etc. pulled before, I just assumed that either 20/20 or Kleibold herself had asserted their owner's rights and pulled it. So I really appreciate your effort in taking your time to repost another link :tu:

I'm afraid after watching it, my feelings are even stronger than they were before. For the sake of discussion, because you and I have posted on other threads together I know you always put thought into your viewpoints, I'd like to ask that you watch it again and when you do if you can apply my viewpoint. And by this I'm NOT saying your viewpoint now is not well thought out, and I understand that everyone here wants to be forgiving. It's just that I think you might see a lot that is actually verbalized along with what is unsaid behind some of her statements.

I once read an article on statement analysis written by an FBI interrogator and he pointed out that people don't chose words randomly. Their exact words often betray exactly what they think and what they have done. So starting out we know these Kleibolds are NOT stupid people. He's a geophysicist and she assists handicapped students at a university. In fact has an office there to do that assisting. I'm thinking there just might have been a psychology course or two in her training that has enabled her to hold such a position.

Within her first statement of her mission, just like the FBI guy pointed out, Diane Sawyer even calls her out that she is saying son "harmed" people and she is forced to admit there is some possible denial going on in those words. I think that forced admission of denial is evident in 80% of what she says throughout the interview. I'm also going to apply it to the fact that it came to me when she said that it's also why the donation of profits to mental health and suicide prevention offend me. She is again DENYING she owes things directly to those victims NOT causes she wants to point you to as those that she obviously wants elevated as those who would have helped her lunatic son. Kinda like, "It's not me who should have helped him, it's a lack of those agencies." She repeats this again when she talks about her thoughts driving to the school at the time and actually says she prayed, "Someone would stop him, teachers .... police....." Someone else stop what I have created please.

Next, she spends time describing their parenting as "Hands On," racing right on into Dylan's attributes: i.e., his beautious blonde hair, his intellectual abilities, advanced class status..... Were I in her position I think I would be aware of just how her idealistic viewpoint of little Dylan now really makes all of that quite absurd. This ties right in with her statement on the other killer's father, "Mr. Harris was a Leave it to Beaver" kind of dad. I guess Ward Cleaver didn't manage to hike his but out to his garage and notice the bomb making material but we know at this point, she's Mrs. Hands on Holly Homemaker and their family looked to be perfect...... at least on the outside.

I thought the point that she decided when he was a Senior to "respect his privacy" was interesting. Let's see that would be after the felony level B & E charges. There was also a video clip of Dylan at that hearing that turned me around in my chair. After the blonde and beautiful, advanced student responded to the judge his grades were all A s & B s, when next asked what his curfew times were, Dylan quickly responds 10:00 pm on the weekends and 6:00 pm on weekdays. Now that sounds a little early to me for a high school junior or was he a senior by then ? You don't suppose his parents sat right there and had him lie to the court ?

Then I believe it was Diane Sawyer who went into questioning why an entire list of people didn't react more correctly, the pizza shop mgr, this school psychologist, the school guidance counselor, the police and somewhere in that list the mother who sat there as a teacher told her that one of his stories was so alarming he was sending it to the school's counselors and MOM and DAD don't ask to read the story !!

Then we end with, "It wasn't ME, it was Dylan." Self-serving right to the end.

Edited by Vincennes
  • Like 1

I'm sorry but I don't give the amount of absolution to these parents that other posters on this thread do. The website for the interview has unfortunately been deleted so I'm saying this without hearing what she had to say but I'm bringing your post forward here, Susie, because I think it's an example of some pretty good "passing the buck" on to others. There were actually a whole heck more strong evidence that these kids were mental cases that the parents SHOULD HAVE NOTICED ! After all, we are not talking about a low-income, single mother here who was working two jobs to keep her family feed and clothed. And we are certainly not talking about uneducated people who didn't have the ability to apply reality.

She waited 17 years to come up with this ? There were certainly no interview apologies offered from the parents at the time and I seem to remember that it was well reported at the time that one of these mothers was seen at the beauty shop getting her hair done as funeral arrangements for the victims were still underway. It also struck me that in your second link she states that all profits for the book are going to mental health charities. Although I'm glad if it's true that she doesn't mean to profit from this, it seems to me to also be deflected in a way from the actual victims left alive whose families must have been financially devastated. Nothing is offered here indicating that the perpetrators' families sold their houses, their cars and donated that, along with their personal savings and donated them to those left suffering. Because that's what they should have done not donate some unknown profit amount that isn't going to bother their own comfortable lifestyle.

I'm just not buying her applying ashes to her forehead now. I'll leave it with the last comment I read from the brother of the Sandy Hook monster which was that people just were not significantly aware of how this had also affected his own life ....... Think about that one for a minute. It tells you a little bit about the egocentric thinking pattern of the ENTIRE family. I feel like I'm going the wrong way at rush hour here but that's what I also see through in this woman.

It Is easy to say after the fact that something should have been noticed.

There is almost no parent who is going to expect that their son is going to go shoot people.

One out of four people have a mental illness. I bet many people and freinds you interact with everyday have issues that you don't even notice

But I hope you enjoy the view from your high horse

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

Thank you ! I should have gone to youtube myself and looked around for it. I didn't mean not to do that. Because I've seen some of the docs etc. pulled before, I just assumed that either 20/20 or Kleibold herself had asserted their owner's rights and pulled it. So I really appreciate your effort in taking your time to repost another link :tu:

I'm afraid after watching it, my feelings are even stronger than they were before. For the sake of discussion, because you and I have posted on other threads together I know you always put thought into your viewpoints, I'd like to ask that you watch it again and when you do if you can apply my viewpoint. And by this I'm NOT saying your viewpoint now is not well thought out, and I understand that everyone here wants to be forgiving. It's just that I think you might see a lot that is actually verbalized along with what is unsaid behind some of her statements.

I once read an article on statement analysis written by an FBI interrogator and he pointed out that people don't chose words randomly. Their exact words often betray exactly what they think and what they have done. So starting out we know these Kleibolds are NOT stupid people. He's a geophysicist and she assists handicapped students at a university. In fact has an office there to do that assisting. I'm thinking there just might have been a psychology course or two in her training that has enabled her to hold such a position.

Within her first statement of her mission, just like the FBI guy pointed out, Diane Sawyer even calls her out that she is saying son "harmed" people and she is forced to admit there is some possible denial going on in those words. I think that forced admission of denial is evident in 80% of what she says throughout the interview. I'm also going to apply it to the fact that it came to me when she said that it's also why the donation of profits to mental health and suicide prevention offend me. She is again DENYING she owes things directly to those victims NOT causes she wants to point you to as those that she obviously wants elevated as those who would have helped her lunatic son. Kinda like, "It's not me who should have helped him, it's a lack of those agencies." She repeats this again when she talks about her thoughts driving to the school at the time and actually says she prayed, "Someone would stop him, teachers .... police....." Someone else stop what I have created please.

Next, she spends time describing their parenting as "Hands On," racing right on into Dylan's attributes: i.e., his beautious blonde hair, his intellectual abilities, advanced class status..... Were I in her position I think I would be aware of just how her idealistic viewpoint of little Dylan now really makes all of that quite absurd. This ties right in with her statement on the other killer's father, "Mr. Harris was a Leave it to Beaver" kind of dad. I guess Ward Cleaver didn't manage to hike his but out to his garage and notice the bomb making material but we know at this point, she's Mrs. Hands on Holly Homemaker and their family looked to be perfect...... at least on the outside.

I thought the point that she decided when he was a Senior to "respect his privacy" was interesting. Let's see that would be after the felony level B & E charges. There was also a video clip of Dylan at that hearing that turned me around in my chair. After the blonde and beautiful, advanced student responded to the judge his grades were all A s & B s, when next asked what his curfew times were, Dylan quickly responds 10:00 pm on the weekends and 6:00 pm on weekdays. Now that sounds a little early to me for a high school junior or was he a senior by then ? You don't suppose his parents sat right there and had him lie to the court ?

Then I believe it was Diane Sawyer who went into questioning why an entire list of people didn't react more correctly, the pizza shop mgr, this school psychologist, the school guidance counselor, the police and somewhere in that list the mother who sat there as a teacher told her that one of his stories was so alarming he was sending it to the school's counselors and MOM and DAD don't ask to read the story !!

Then we end with, "It wasn't ME, it was Dylan." Self-serving right to the end.

I see what you are saying, yet at the same time you are looking at this from a post Columbine world view. Prior to Columbine no kids had done that ever before. The U.S was completely taken off guard by Columbine. Perhaps the parents should have snooped more, if they did, they may have found the detailed plans that the boys had hashed out, but I don't think they should suffer their entire lives for what their children did.

• Like 1

It also struck me that in your second link she states that all profits for the book are going to mental health charities. Although I'm glad if it's true that she doesn't mean to profit from this, it seems to me to also be deflected in a way from the actual victims left alive whose families must have been financially devastated. Nothing is offered here indicating that the perpetrators' families sold their houses, their cars and donated that, along with their personal savings and donated them to those left suffering. Because that's what they should have done not donate some unknown profit amount that isn't going to bother their own comfortable lifestyle.

I am curious about your thoughts here. I don't see why the families of the victims are entitled to get every penny the parents own. Money isn't going to bring their children back. I support this mother using the money from her book to support mental health organizations. Mental health reform is the ticket to a healthier america.

• Like 2

It's hard to sit in judgement now 17 yrs later as to what should have and shouldn't have been noticed, not only by the parents, but also the authorities that these kids crossed paths with before they committed the horror that they did. We need to remember that Columbine was the first of what, unfortunately, became a rash of school shootings committed by teenage boys over the years. There wasn't yet a long period of studies as to what was going on in the minds of these students and what kind of personality traits they seemed to have in common. I agree with you 100% about Eric Harris' parents. He was a true sociopath while Dylan was introverted and suicidal. A very strong personality controlling a much weaker one. Eric's parents should have seen something of what was going on in their home, and they have never addressed the guilt of their son, ever, to his victims, their families or the American public. I have to respect Sue Klebold for coming public and facing what, for her, must have been 17 yrs of guilt and fearing public reaction to at least address that her son had a part in this horrendous crime. That's a big step. It's easy to overlook that she suffered not only the loss of her child, but the knowledge that her child was capable of doing something like this. That's got to be awful hard to do. Of course, she would remember her son as the child she loved and tried to raise. I don't know how I would react if it was one of my children who had done something like this. She has suffered too and so did her marriage. That she came out and said anything at all earns her a little respect in my book. She and her husband also sent out letters to the students and their families.

I also think that Diane Sawyer was right in questioning why the school officals and law enforcement didn't recommend a psychiatric evaluation on Dylan (and Eric) as these prior events unfolded. Why didn't they call the parents into their office to discuss their concerns. I read a really good book called Columbine by Dave Cullen. These boys were making videos in the school that were disturbing but, again, ignored by the school officals. It's an excellent analogy of what happened and how these boys acted in the time leading up to the shootings. Again, we have to remember that school shootings at that time were unheard of. They just didn't recognize the signs that would make them think these boys would really do what they did. Dylan's older brother at the time was having drug issues. As Dylan began to withdraw more and more, his parents should have been more vigilant in watching his mood swings and the people he associated with, but withdraw alone isn't an unusual way for teenagers to react. Being with one's parents is not cool and many will retreat to their rooms with their games and computers. Teenagers are contradictions by nature. If only she had searched for his journal, if she even knew he kept one. No one sets out to raise a monster. Now most parents would have been all over his room. There were students at the school that knew that Eric Harris was talking about shooting up the school and didn't say anything until after the fact. Nowadays, those students would be right in the Principal's office telling everything they knew. Columbine was a big wake up call. One good thing that came out of it is that school officials and law enforcement no longer ignore potential signs and just chalk it up to teenage rebellion and acting out. It's taken very seriously now.

Never should we forget the students and the teacher that died that day, or the students that were wounded, or the students that were emotionally scarred that day. Or any of their families. I hope this helps you understand why I ended up feeling the way I did. No one is ever going to beat this woman up more than she's beaten up herself over all these years. Yes, she says Dylan was her son and she loves him, but she also says how when one of his friends called their house that day and told her he thought Dylan was involved, she wished someone would shoot him and stop what was going on before a lot of people got hurt. As a mother, I can't imagine wishing that on my own child. That friend could also be blamed for not saying something before the fact if he knew what the boys were planning.

• Like 2

I see what you are saying, yet at the same time you are looking at this from a post Columbine world view. Prior to Columbine no kids had done that ever before. The U.S was completely taken off guard by Columbine. Perhaps the parents should have snooped more, if they did, they may have found the detailed plans that the boys had hashed out, but I don't think they should suffer their entire lives for what their children did.

You are right, I am most certainly looking at it POST Columbine and I do understand what you are saying :tu:

BUT .... and it's a significant ... BUT.... I am also looking at the parent's actions that I see as having continued POST Columbine. I think she is just continuing sticking her head in the sand which is the type of parent she was BEFORE Columbine.

If you go to the second youtube post that Susie shared and look on down there is a Columbine victim in a wheel chair and she states that in 17 years she has not heard from Mrs. K. Don't you find it interesting ?

Mrs. K has managed to get herself on 20/20 17 yrs later and has still not managed to even apologize to the victims.

It's hard to sit in judgement now 17 yrs later as to what should have and shouldn't have been noticed, not only by the parents, but also the authorities that these kids crossed paths with before they committed the horror that they did. We need to remember that Columbine was the first of what, unfortunately, became a rash of school shootings committed by teenage boys over the years. There wasn't yet a long period of studies as to what was going on in the minds of these students and what kind of personality traits they seemed to have in common. I agree with you 100% about Eric Harris' parents. He was a true sociopath while Dylan was introverted and suicidal. A very strong personality controlling a much weaker one. Eric's parents should have seen something of what was going on in their home, and they have never addressed the guilt of their son, ever, to his victims, their families or the American public. I have to respect Sue Klebold for coming public and facing what, for her, must have been 17 yrs of guilt and fearing public reaction to at least address that her son had a part in this horrendous crime. That's a big step. It's easy to overlook that she suffered not only the loss of her child, but the knowledge that her child was capable of doing something like this. That's got to be awful hard to do. Of course, she would remember her son as the child she loved and tried to raise. I don't know how I would react if it was one of my children who had done something like this. She has suffered too and so did her marriage. That she came out and said anything at all earns her a little respect in my book. She and her husband also sent out letters to the students and their families.

I also think that Diane Sawyer was right in questioning why the school officals and law enforcement didn't recommend a psychiatric evaluation on Dylan (and Eric) as these prior events unfolded. Why didn't they call the parents into their office to discuss their concerns. I read a really good book called Columbine by Dave Cullen. These boys were making videos in the school that were disturbing but, again, ignored by the school officals. It's an excellent analogy of what happened and how these boys acted in the time leading up to the shootings. Again, we have to remember that school shootings at that time were unheard of. They just didn't recognize the signs that would make them think these boys would really do what they did. Dylan's older brother at the time was having drug issues. As Dylan began to withdraw more and more, his parents should have been more vigilant in watching his mood swings and the people he associated with, but withdraw alone isn't an unusual way for teenagers to react. Being with one's parents is not cool and many will retreat to their rooms with their games and computers. Teenagers are contradictions by nature. If only she had searched for his journal, if she even knew he kept one. No one sets out to raise a monster. Now most parents would have been all over his room. There were students at the school that knew that Eric Harris was talking about shooting up the school and didn't say anything until after the fact. Nowadays, those students would be right in the Principal's office telling everything they knew. Columbine was a big wake up call. One good thing that came out of it is that school officials and law enforcement no longer ignore potential signs and just chalk it up to teenage rebellion and acting out. It's taken very seriously now.

Never should we forget the students and the teacher that died that day, or the students that were wounded, or the students that were emotionally scarred that day. Or any of their families. I hope this helps you understand why I ended up feeling the way I did. No one is ever going to beat this woman up more than she's beaten up herself over all these years. Yes, she says Dylan was her son and she loves him, but she also says how when one of his friends called their house that day and told her he thought Dylan was involved, she wished someone would shoot him and stop what was going on before a lot of people got hurt. As a mother, I can't imagine wishing that on my own child. That friend could also be blamed for not saying something before the fact if he knew what the boys were planning.

Susie, first of all thank you, thank you for taking my post the way that I meant it. :tu: I was so afraid that it would sound like I was challenging your interpretation and that's wasn't what I meant AT All ! As I just commented to Rinna, I do understand that that pre-Columbine people just weren't as aware of even what to do when they saw danger signals but, to me, what is telling is that I think she finds justification in that. Unfortunately I've KNOWN too many parents with their heads stuck in that convenient sand. One of her other statements in the interview was, "Do you believe in evil?" No surprise, she answered that she DID NOT. So, as far as I'm concerned she wrote this book and did this interview without really facing up to anything: Primarily that her son was evil, did evil and came from under her roof.

I highlighted your statement about her and her husband having contacted all the victims. I thought that's what she had said but didn't make a note of it when I was watching so I wasn't sure. Obviously, for the victim's comments made at the time of the interview, she must have missed one.

I am curious about your thoughts here. I don't see why the families of the victims are entitled to get every penny the parents own. Money isn't going to bring their children back. I support this mother using the money from her book to support mental health organizations. Mental health reform is the ticket to a healthier america.

The money isn't going to get their children back ? How about the ones who are left suffering and will have tremendous medical bills resulting for the rest of their lives. "Entitled" to it, no probably not legally, morally, I guess they were entitled to retaining everything after other people's lives were ruined. The profits from the book, as I said another way to deny the victims and CHOSE something that sounds quite good until you think it through.

Edited by Vincennes
  • Like 1

I looked in my book for references to the letters Sue Klebold sent out to the victim's families. The shooting occurred on April 20, 1999. On May 28, Sue Klebold wrote letters of condolence to the families of the 13 victims. The individual addresses were unknown to her so she put them in a manila envelope and gave them to the school district to distribute. They had set up a clearinghouse for correspondences to victims. A week later, she sent a second batch intended for the 23 injured. Instead of delivering them the school turned them over to the sheriff's department as potential evidence. They decided not to read or deliver them. In mid-July, the press discovered that she had written these letters that were never delivered. The Harrises broke their silence to dispute "misstatements" in the letters through their attorney, who said the sheriff's department had never tried to contact him about them. Also in May, Sue Klebold again wrote apologies, this time mailing them directly to the families of the 13 slain. The parents of Cassie Bernall received one that the author quotes in the book. Cassie's mother, Misty, included the letter in a memoir she was writing in which she described the act as courageous. She wrote that Sue and Tom had also lost a son in the disaster and expressed concern over what kind of comfort did the Klebolds have. She also questioned whether they should have known their son intended to do this and whether or not they were negligent. She asked how anyone would know.

The above is taken pretty much right out of the book.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

There are several references to apology letters from the Klebolds. In April of 2000, the families had still been denied access to the evidence the sheriff's department had gathered regarding the shootings. The families decided the only way they could obtain the killers' journals, what is referred to as the "Basement Tapes" the 911 calls, and the surveillance videos was to file a lawsuit against the sheriff's department for negligence. The Harrises and the Klebolds both declined to sue, but the Klebolds again issued another apology letter for the court. The judge ruled in favor of the families and all information was disclosed. The lawsuits were expected to fail. The families had to show that the officers responding to the scene had actually made the students worse off. They felt the way the situation was handled by law enforcement impeded their ability to get to the students in the library in time to help them. They felt the kids could have escaped had the police not impeded their movements. Their real purpose was to flush out information.

Just to add a footnote...the way these situations are handled now is far different than the way it was handled then. It took police 3 hours to reach the teacher who had been shot. His daughter filed suit saying if they had not tried sectioning off the school bit by bit, they would have gotten to him before he died. They would not allow students to lower him from a window so he could be put in one of the ambulances on scene. Now, SWAT teams immediately move into the school and do a full sweep. This was a valuable lesson learned from Columbine.

The first Spring after the attack, Sue Klebold again wrote letters to the 13 families of the dead. One of the fathers didn't receive his. It went to his ex-wife. He asked about the letter and requested a copy. She sent one and on the backside of the envelope, on the flap, she had written her home address. He sent her a letter back directly and also sent one to the Klebold's attorney. He didn't tell the author what was in that letter but the book does say that he was happy that he had been heard.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

I really recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn the truth and dispel the myths that grew up around the crime that embedded itself into the American psyche. All the police blunders, cover ups and the full insight into the minds of the boys who went on a rampage at their high school. This book tells the ultimate story.

http://www.goodreads...32446-columbine

Here are some of the reviews and awards won by this book.

http://www.daveculle...ine/reviews.htm

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

i watched her interview last night ... from a mothers point of view ,she goes through Hell ... one can only imagine what a war battles inside of her heart and mind

• Like 3

Can you hold parents responsible for what their kids do? A friend of mine, last Sunday her son committed suicide. She found his body. She is killing herself with blame for not doing enough for him and I know that she had him in counselling, drug rehab, everything she could think of. Now, he only physically harmed himself and wasn't a mass murderer but I don't believe that you can put all the blame on the parents. A 17 year old has his destiny in his own hands and obviously if he has easy access to guns and ammo and enough hatred inside him, he has other people's destinies in his hands as well. The more cogent point if you want to talk to the parents is why did the kids have access to so many weapons?

• Like 2

So sorry to hear about your friends son. No, she can't blame herself. Sounds like she tried all she could to help him but in the long run, it's up to the child.

The odd thing is that none of the Klebolds ever owned guns. Harris, who's father was ex-military, was the one who got the weapons. The man who got them for him was sentenced to 6 yrs in prison. The boys also built pipe bombs.

• Like 2