Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Antonin Scalia Dead at 79

Harte

WASHINGTON — Associate Justice Antonin Scalia, the outspoken leader of the Supreme Court's conservative bloc, was found dead at a Texas ranch Saturday morning.

"I am saddened to report that our colleague Justice Antonin Scalia has passed away," Chief Justice John Roberts said in a statement Saturday afternoon. "He was an extraordinary individual and jurist, admired and treasured by his colleagues. His passing is a great loss to the court and the country he so loyally served."

The death was first reported by the San Antonio Express News on its website, quoting U.S. District Judge Fred Biery.

USA Today

A great loss, in my opinion.

Harte

• Like 7

Well, the upcoming SC decisions are going to be very interesting in the months preceding the Presidential election.

• Like 1

Absolute dogfight just ahead. IMO the republican held Senate should stop by ANY means, Obama shifting the balance of the court. Whatever it takes and no matter if some Senate careers are shortened. There is NOTHING the Senate will do in the next year that is more critical...nothing. The new president should get that privilege.

• Like 4

And now you guys are all allowed to blame Obama for something that will be Obama's fault. Appointing a new Supreme Court Justice is one of the greatest powers a President actually has.

The new president should get that privilege.

Complaining about the Constitution already?

• Like 1

I'm not one to rejoice over someone's death, but this the break needed to start restoring balance to the Force as far as the right-wing crazyboat SOCTUS goes, and I'd also like to express my condolences to the Koch Brothers for their loss.

• Like 3

Rest in peace, Mr. Scalia.

• Like 3

RIP Antonin Scalia...you helped change the direction of the US from the courtroom. Some Americans believe the USSC is too right-wing, others too left-wing, and a few believe the USSC are totally self-centered autocrats deciding people's lives against our very will. Obama is going to find a replacement soon who agrees with him more politically and socially than Scalia who supported conservative Republican beliefs and agendas.

And the Senate has every right to not confirm him.

Harte

• Like 7

Yeah, his body isn't even cold yet and I am hearing both parties strategizing his death. The republicans are going to deny confirmation till after the elections in hopes of getting a conservative justice, while the democrats are talking about putting up a black woman nomination for the republicans to deny to solidify their female/minority votes.

• Like 2

And the Senate has every right to not confirm him.

Harte

Of course. It is, however, asinine to suggest that Obama not appoint a new justice.

Scalia is openly and vocally against LGBT rights in his time as a Supreme Court Justice.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/03/scalia-worst-things-said-written-about-homosexuality-court

We don't need backward-thinking in the USSC which can harm LGBT people's civil rights and liberties.

• Like 1

Scalia is openly and vocally against LGBT rights in his time as a Supreme Court Justice.

http://www.motherjon...sexuality-court

We don't need backward-thinking in the USSC which can harm LGBT people's civil rights and liberties.

You're making my point. The Constitution can protect special groups of people. All you have to do is amend it.

Harte

• Like 2

USA Today

A great loss, in my opinion.

Harte

Indeed it is Harte. Obama has already hinted of an appointment right a way while Senator McConnell has implied there would be no nominee approved until after the election which I think is the prudent thing to do. Senator Cruz said tonight that it has been 80 years since that happened but it was a real option. I'm sure there are many as worthy...but getting both sides of the isle to agree will be the tough thing to do...to compare with Scalia.

I admit when I first heard about it today...I had a hard time wondering.........

I will leave it there, I guess it's the old 'Conspiracy Cafe' wanting to jump out.

seax :tu:

Edited by seax
  • Like 1

You think he was assassinated?

Let's just say that the timing certainly makes the conspiracy theory something to consider. Of all the SCJ, Scalia's untimely demise couldn't be more timely for certain ideologies. Just something to make you go uhmmm?

Let's just say that the timing certainly makes the conspiracy theory something to consider. Of all the SCJ, Scalia's untimely demise couldn't be more timely for certain ideologies. Just something to make you go uhmmm?

He was 79 and almost 300 lbs. No ummm about it.

• Like 3

No. Obama has every right to appoint a new justice.

He has every right to NOMINATE a new Justice. It's a process, not an unchecked power.

ETA - While discussing this this evening my wife pointed out that Hillary might well win and she'd surely be able to appoint the next Justice, to which I grudgingly said, okay, but it STILL should be the next president. Then she absolutely RUINED my evening by reminding me that she could appoint...OBAMA... :no::gun:

Edited by and then
  • Like 1

He has every right to NOMINATE a new Justice. It's a process, not an unchecked power.

What the hell ever. I used the wrong damn word.

• Like 1

Absolute dogfight just ahead. IMO the republican held Senate should stop by ANY means, Obama shifting the balance of the court. Whatever it takes and no matter if some Senate careers are shortened. There is NOTHING the Senate will do in the next year that is more critical...nothing. The new president should get that privilege.

As much as I absolutely LOATH the idea of Obama getting another SC pick, it is still his term in office so legally it is his right to do so. Unless there's some standing precedent than can be used to justify blocking his actions I don't think he should get denied the pick.

Why?

What period of time remaining in a Presidency makes it inappropriate for a serving President to nominate someone?

After all, Ronald Reagan nominated a Supreme Court judge in February 1988. Was that inappropriate?

I hear people die of old age these days.

• Like 2

As much as I absolutely LOATH the idea of Obama getting another SC pick, it is still his term in office so legally it is his right to do so. Unless there's some standing precedent than can be used to justify blocking his actions I don't think he should get denied the pick.

There is. It's called the confirmation process.

Harte

• Like 1

Why?

What period of time remaining in a Presidency makes it inappropriate for a serving President to nominate someone?

After all, Ronald Reagan nominated a Supreme Court judge in February 1988. Was that inappropriate?

Kennedy was confirmed February 1988. The was nominated in November 1987.

His nomination came as replacement to Robert Bork, who was nominated July 1, 1987.

Regarding confirmation, after Bork's nomination:

Supreme Court Justice Lewis Powell was considered a moderate, often referred to as a "swing vote" in close decisions. Even before his expected retirement on June 27, 1987, Senate Democrats had asked liberal leaders to form a "solid phalanx" to oppose whomever President Ronald Reagan nominated to replace Powell, assuming that it would tilt the court rightward. Democrats warned Reagan there would be a fight over the nomination if Bork were to be the nominee.
wiki

What goes around, comes around.

Harte

• Like 1