Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dogs being trained to fly an aeroplane

seeder

Could dogs really fly? Britain’s smartest mutts selected for TV plane challenge

A DOZEN of the UK’s smartest canines are being trained to get behind the controls of a plane in an experiment that could see dogs fly.

The ambitious venture was launched after amateur fliers at a London airfield spotted a mutt grappling with aircraft-style controls.

The 12 rescue dogs are now being put through their paces by animal behaviour experts who believe the cognitive abilities of the most intelligent pets can be directed towards flying a plane.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/644538/Dogs-can-fly-a-plane-Dogs-Might-Fly

• Like 4

Woof!

9fe52c363435e6de383e0a1d000b01d2.jpg

• Like 5

I used to have a Bird Dog as A kid. Never thought about training him to fly. And another thing. wouldn't it be safer to teach them to drive a car first

• Like 2

You know the old aviation industry joke about modern airliners having a crew of two; a pilot and a dog, the dog being there to bite the pilot if he tries to touch anything.

• Like 3

Wow, what a stupid notion. Hey, I absolutely love dogs but they have the reasoning power of a 3 to 4 year old child. Would you teach a pre-school kid to fly?

• Like 2

Wow, what a stupid notion. Hey, I absolutely love dogs but they have the reasoning power of a 3 to 4 year old child. Would you teach a pre-school kid to fly?

Having seen some of the reality shows brought out, I would not put it past the producers to try it, if they could get away with it.

• Like 1

All they need to do is have a computer to light buttons and have the dog trained to press the button that lights. That will work as long as nothing mechanical happens to the plane. At least you don't have to worry about a dog hitting the bar before he flies.

Must be really scraping the barrel for ideas on a reality TV series. Guess the brainchild of this show must been walking his dog out and while cleaned up his pet's business off the ground looked up to see a plane flying over head. . Here is my idea get the producers of these reality show, strap them into chairs and forced them to watch all the crap they made over the past 20 years and see which is the first to snap.

Edited by gatekeeper32

• 1 month later...

Update -

A New Zealand dog trainer who taught RSPCA dogs to drive has done the unthinkable and managed to train dogs how to pilot a plane in a bid to prove just how capable rescue dogs can be.

In a world first, Mr Vette was able to successfully train three rescue dogs, Reggie, Shadow and Alfie, to fly a plane, and even perform tricks, including a figure of eight manoeuvre.

Video:

http://www.news.com....0b7fd5395a79fc6

• Like 1

This is a real UK show. They had one before teaching dogs to drive a car. It's all just to see if they can do it. I'd rather watch it than Big Brother.

• Like 1

And another thing. wouldn't it be safer to teach them to drive a car first

Dogs already learnt how to drive cars, but now want a bigger challenge..

Meet Porter. The World's First Driving Dog.