Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atom smasher hints at major new discovery

UM-Bot

Physicists at the Large Hadron Collider have caught a glimpse of what might be a new type of particle.

Not content with discovering the Higgs Boson, the scientists behind the world\'s largest and most powerful atom smasher have not given up on their efforts to unravel the secrets of the universe.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/292691/atom-smasher-hints-at-major-new-discovery

• Like 1

Maybe it's registration of energy release after an implosion of pure energy turning into the physical fundamental building blocks.

• Like 1

maybe its a a particle to show this is a total waste of money!!!! who cares??? by the time we figure out what really happened and how we was created and big bang stuff the human race will have this earth and whats on it destroyed, we need to spend the billions that is wasted on war and stupid stuff like this and put to research of space travel, if these particles could help with that then fine but to find the god particle? wtf

maybe its a a particle to show this is a total waste of money!!!! who cares??? by the time we figure out what really happened and how we was created and big bang stuff the human race will have this earth and whats on it destroyed, we need to spend the billions that is wasted on war and stupid stuff like this and put to research of space travel, if these particles could help with that then fine but to find the god particle? wtf

I view the LHC as a great cause, and a highly needed expenditure to advance certain important levels of science.

• Like 1

Maybe you can finally do something with your life.

Applied science is the outcome of scientific research. If a century or so ago J.J. Thompson hadn't "wasted money" on an experiment that lead to the discovery of the electron, you wouldn't be able to promote your opinions on the internet. All science has a value at some point. Humanity is facing a crisis this century, and it is a crisis of energy. On the one hand the population is growing and needs to be fed, housed, transported and so on. On the other hand the use of fossil fuels is causing serious damage to the Earth. It will be the harnessing of nuclear fusion power that saves humanity. And do you know where the fundamental research into fusion power is done? At facilities like CERN. That basic science is then taken up by facilities such as ITER in France and turned into practicable solutions. What makes us human is that we are curious. And that curiosity leads to a better world (I plagiarized that from Carl Sagan).

• Like 4

So what might this, well, mean, in terms that might be beneficial for humanity? Is it just something that theoretical physicists would go "oh, that's interesting" about, or might it actually lead to some useful breakthrough for humanity? I mean, would the existence of the Higgs Boson's heavier cousin actually lead to anything useful? Might, for that matter, the existence of the Higgs Boson itself, lead to anything useful?

So what might this, well, mean, in terms that might be beneficial for humanity? Is it just something that theoretical physicists would go "oh, that's interesting" about, or might it actually lead to some useful breakthrough for humanity? I mean, would the existence of the Higgs Boson's heavier cousin actually lead to anything useful? Might, for that matter, the existence of the Higgs Boson itself, lead to anything useful?

In 1830 Michael Faraday wiggled a magnet near a piece of wire and saw that he could produce a flicker of electricity. His first thought was: "Oh, that's interesting". His second thought was "I'm going to build a dynamo, and that will become the basis of a whole new industry that will benefit humanity".

• Like 2

That is what basic science is all about. You never know what it will bring, but if you don't do it you will not get the great leaps forward that we got from such "useless" research. Einstein, Bohr, Faraday, Copernicus, Galileo, Darwin, Flemming and many others didn't know what their discoveries would bring, but they did it anyway.

Will it lead to something useful ? Who knows.

Can we afford not to do it ? I don't think so !

• Like 1

That is what basic science is all about. You never know what it will bring, but if you don't do it you will not get the great leaps forward that we got from such "useless" research. Einstein, Bohr, Faraday, Copernicus, Galileo, Darwin, Flemming and many others didn't know what their discoveries would bring, but they did it anyway.

Will it lead to something useful ? Who knows.

Can we afford not to do it ? I don't think so !

I should have pointed out that Michael Faraday was inspired to wiggle a magnet next to a wire because the Great Dane Hans Oersted had seen how electricity flowing through a wire produces magnetism!

• Like 1

I should have pointed out that Michael Faraday was inspired to wiggle a magnet next to a wire because the Great Dane Hans Oersted had seen how electricity flowing through a wire produces magnetism!

I though about including H. C. Ørsted on my list, but since I allready had Bohr on it, it would just be showing off. :innocent:

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy

It doesn't matter if it's useful sometimes you have to do it for curiosity don't you like to know just know how things work?

• Like 1

I hope it's a graviton.

I though about including H. C. Ørsted on my list, but since I allready had Bohr on it, it would just be showing off. :innocent:

I have to say that for such a small country Denmark has produced some pretty big brains, Tycho Brahe being my favorite.

Many of you have already made excellent arguments about why we should do this. I will just add that we have plenty of money to go around. The large hadron collider is not sucking up money to the detriment of other causes. The US spends more money on cosmetics than Europe does on the collider. How about we stop that instead? You could generate a list of trillions of dollars that we waste all over the world on meaningless or detrimental stuff every year. Probably we could fund a space program for all of the money people pay to cable companies to watch Southpark or Keeping up with the Kardassians.

So don't be grumpy. Allow the techno nerds a moment of elation. Maybe in a generation or two these discoveries will provide us with things undreamed of today.

• Like 2

If we can understand gravity in the ways to change or mitigate its influence I wonder how many wonderful scientific things might be derived from that.

I think that the LHC might be assistive in this endeavour.