Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Microsoft Asks Colleges To Teach Hacking

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,012 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 23 March 2003 - 02:27 PM

Here's an interesting article that talks about a new idea from Microsoft, encouraging Universities to teach their students how to hack, mainly for the purposes of identifying and fixing security flaws in software.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft is working with a number of universities in several countries to set up courses that teach students how to write secure code, the company said Friday. The University of Leeds in England is the first to announce such a course.

As part of an 11 week module that will start in January next year, third-year undergraduates at the University of Leeds will be asked to hack into software and fix any security bugs they find, Nick Efford, senior teaching fellow at the School of Computing, University of Leeds, said.
--------------------------------------------------------------
[ Full Article ]                                                  

#2    Kira

Kira

Government Agent

• 4,183 posts

• Sexiest,
    Prettiest,
    Bloodthirstiest,
    Elf Member of the
    Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps.

Thanks TO xx

Posted 23 March 2003 - 03:23 PM

ohmy.gif  biggrin.gif Hmmm so what are they are saying is that new version of windows has that many holes hackers can get thru
Hey where do I sign up.....?                                                  

We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.

#3    *m3ntaL*PaTienT*

*m3ntaL*PaTienT*

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 04:17 PM

Yea CW i will sign up for this class w/ you..lol... i think this is an interesting idea...but something will go wrong w/ this class, people will take this ability t0o far blink.gif                                                    

LuckY IrishmEn......thats me

only those possed with luck so deep
are the ones whom 13 they can keep
engraved on my heart for it was the day i was born
and forever it will stay w/ me until my soul is worn

#4    Bloated Corpse

Bloated Corpse

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 01:15 AM

Most security flaws are found by those who use them or who want to use it but have to hack into it. I for one would like to take this class so I could rake in the money in fixing the problems that Microsoft can't seem to fix on it's own.                                                  

Wabi Sabi

Wabi-sabi is the quintessential Japanese aesthetic.

It is a beauty of things imperfect, impermanent and incomplete.
It is a beauty of things modest and humble.
It is a beauty of things unconventional.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users