Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Possible Earth 2.0 found 16 light years away

UM-Bot

Astronomers have discovered what they believe is a potentially Earth-like world in a nearby solar system.

Found in orbit around red dwarf star GJ 832, the new planet is thought to lie within the 'Golidlocks zone' where liquid water can exist and may have a mass approximately 15 times that of the Earth.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/293750/possible-earth-20-found-16-light-years-away

• Like 3

Hopefully it will have a pristine atmosphere for me to befoul in my Galactic Patrol Ship (19 million horse power and run off of raw coal fired engines).

• Like 5

Seems like it would have crushing gravity at 15x the mass of earth. That might not matter to any aquatic life, should any exist.

• Like 2

I just keep worrying that we are waving a neon colored flag in the face of danger.

Perhaps I've watched too much Scifi. :alien:

• Like 1

Can we rename it Krypton?

• Like 2

I just keep worrying that we are waving a neon colored flag in the face of danger.

Perhaps I've watched too much Scifi. :alien:

Unless some form of faster-than-light transportation is possible, and it may not be, it is unlikely that we would be invaded, should there actually be anyone (or anything) out there who wished to invade.

• Like 2

I think we'll be okay unless we find a way to break physics or we discover something game-changing in the realm of physics.

• Like 1

Seems like it would have crushing gravity at 15x the mass of earth. That might not matter to any aquatic life, should any exist.

This is great! I could get a fine workout there in a second or two! Skip the gym.

• Like 2

I think we'll be okay unless we find a way to break physics or we discover something game-changing in the realm of physics.

Actually that saying is so off. If we can do something in the universe, it is because the rules of physic allow it, we don't know everything about physics. That is why scientists keep hunting and hunting. Only reason we say break the laws of physic is because it breaks our laws that we gave definition too, even though we still learning new things about the world around us everyday. That is what makes science fun.

Edited by Uncle Sam

Earth's twin??? - 15 times the size of earth is a twin now?

16 light years is practically on our doorstep??

Who writes this stuff? Hollywood?

Why not just say, we found a big rocky planet 16 light years away?

• Like 3

Earth's twin??? - 15 times the size of earth is a twin now?

16 light years is practically on our doorstep??

Who writes this stuff? Hollywood?

Why not just say, we found a big rocky planet 16 light years away?

Hey, hey, hey....lets not use confusing language such as "planet nearly totally dissimilar to Earth discovered at unfathomably huge distance away from us".

But rather focus on things people can understand such as "HOLY **** **** EARTH'S TWIN FOUND SO CLOSE THAT IS BRUSHES UP AGAINST US AS WE SLEEP, AS A MATTER OF A FACT YOUR MORNING BREATH IS THIS PLANET'S ACTUAL ATMOSPHERE, THAT'S JUST HOW CLOSE SHE IS!"

Edited by bubblykiss
  • Like 3

Hey, hey, hey....lets not use confusing language such as "planet nearly totally dissimilar to Earth discovered at unfathomably huge distance away from us".

But rather focus on things people can understand such as "HOLY **** **** EARTH'S TWIN FOUND SO CLOSE THAT IS BRUSHES UP AGAINST US AS WE SLEEP, AS A MATTER OF A FACT YOUR MORNING BREATH IS THIS PLANET'S ACTUAL ATMOSPHERE, THAT'S JUST HOW CLOSE SHE IS!"

LOL :tu:

Gotta sell them headlines I guess!!

And the FTB's will love it!

• Like 1

But in reality and the way technology is moving. The warp drive from NASA can't be far off. So I reckon, hi ho off we go

• Like 1

Earth 2.0? why did our planet get an upgrade?

• Like 1

Our Planet only works with 3.0 or higher, I would disregard that version, I bet it's like WinME or Win8...

Not to mention all people are not ready for the upgrade yet, they are incompatible...

• Like 1

The sarcasm is strong with this one!

• Like 3

But in reality and the way technology is moving. The warp drive from NASA can't be far off. So I reckon, hi ho off we go

Not far off you reckon? We do not even know how to begin building it!! It is only theory, nothing more.

Not to mention that the Alpha System is a great deal closer?

This might offer some perspective? - LINK 100 Year Starship

Considering the whole universe is the neighborhood, the planet is a hop, skip and a jump away. Maybe the Em Drive well get us there.

Considering the whole universe is the neighborhood, the planet is a hop, skip and a jump away. Maybe the Em Drive well get us there.

Nice :tu:

f 9.4 percent the speed of light and result in a total transit time from Earth to Alpha Centauri of just 92 years.

However, if the intentions of such a mission were to perform in-situ observations and experiments in the Alpha Centauri system, then deceleration would be needed.

This added component would result in a 130-year transit time from Earth to Alpha Centauri – which is still a significant improvement over the multi-thousand year timetable such a mission would take using current chemical propulsion technology.

LINK

Not bad!!!!

ic2t1w.jpg

• Like 2

This crap is getting old. Logic dictates that life evolved to suit conditions here on Earth, not that life can only exist in these conditions.

If we ever discover alien life, it most likely won't come from a planet we would deem hospitable for Earth life, so who cares? We can't go there and use it as a second home and probably never will be able to.

Searching for Earth-like planets is completely pointless.

Logic dictates that life evolved to suit conditions here on Earth, not that life can only exist in these conditions.

As we have a model of a planet that evolved life, the Earth, we look for similar planets as we do not know what other, and to

us unknown, models would support the formation of life.

If we ever discover alien life, it most likely won't come from a

planet we would deem hospitable for Earth life, so who cares?

Your "most likely" is based on what empiric data exactly? As you placed the logic card here, you should keep on logic and not

on your individual and baseless assumptions.

We can't go there and use it as a second home and probably never will be able to.

Your idea of colonizing other plantes is limited to a vacation like trip, means humans enter a space ship alive and arrive on

another world alive but there are different options

Anyway, space science isnt limited by ignorance so it will continue as it did within the last 58 years already.

• Like 1

This crap is getting old. Logic dictates that life evolved to suit conditions here on Earth, not that life can only exist in these conditions.

Indeed, but we do know from life squeezing into every niche on earth that life can only thrive under certain conditions.

If we ever discover alien life, it most likely won't come from a planet we would deem hospitable for Earth life, so who cares? We can't go there and use it as a second home and probably never will be able to.

Absolute nonsense, we are not exactly zipping around extrasolar planets checking them out for life signs, if we do detect life, it seems intelligence would be our best bet as two way communications are the best hope we have right now of crossing the vast expanse of space. Considering the building blocks of life and catalysts we know of that sustain and allow it to expand, it is more than likely that intelligent life we encounter will be familiar.

I really think that is an extremely premature statement, just the space program alone so far has advanced many areas of modern lifestyles.

• Like 1

If it takes 130 years to get to Alpha Centuari by this method it is entirely possible that 100 years after liftoff we will have better methods of space travel and could actually be there waiting for the first ship to arrive. Now that would be a time to party.