Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Harriet Tubman to be on the $20 bill

Grimmie

http://money.cnn.com...bman/index.html

"Alexander Hamilton will stay on the front of the $10 bill, and Harriet Tubman will boot Andrew Jackson from the face of the $20.

Treasury Secretary Jack Lew made the announcement Wednesday after months of debate and controversy.

He also announced plans for the reverse side of each bill. A montage of women involved in the American suffrage movement -- Lucretia Mott, Sojourner Truth, Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and Alice Paul -- will be on the back of the Hamilton-led $10."

I know I am happy about this change. I can guess who won't be happy about this change...

Edited by Grimmie
  • Like 4

I know I am happy about this change. I can guess who won't be happy about this change...

I'll assume you mean "racists". As in anyone who might disagree, would be a racist. It's become basic Liberal thinking these days, and not at all unreasonable for me to assume so. I don't agree with it for the mere fact of who Andrew Jackson is. An important historical figure, 7th President of the United States, and a courier and patriot during the American Revolution. Nothing to do with race and it really is that simple. But of course when it comes to lefty politics these days, everything is about race.

Just another politically correct move to change the social norms of the United States. If it isn't broken, don't fix it, i say.

Edited by xxxdemonxxx
  • Like 6

I'll assume you mean "racists". As in anyone who might disagree, would be a racist. It's become basic Liberal thinking these days, and not at all unreasonable for me to assume so. I don't agree with it for the mere fact of who Andrew Jackson is. An important historical figure, 7th President of the United States, and a courier and patriot during the American Revolution. Nothing to do with race and it really is that simple. But of course when it comes to lefty politics these days, everything is about race.

Just another politically correct move to change the social norms of the United States. If it isn't broken, don't fix it, i say.

Hitler was an important historical figure but I don't see the Germans putting his picture around.

• Like 1

Not everyone who is unhappy about it is racist. At first I wasn't happy about it. I wasn't happy when they changed the bills a few years ago. I kind of like consistency.

Tubman is a good choice if they are going to do this though.

• Like 1

Is it just a coincidence, that Jackson was vehemently opposed to central banking?

Pretty sure it's why he was put on the 20 in the first place.
  • Like 2

There will be people unhappy of course- I would be shocked if everyone was pleased. I remember when they started changing coins some people got mad, every time a new coin came out. There will be people unhappy regardless of how they change the money.

I view it as a good thing... kind of like our country is finally old enough to have enough history to make it worth changing our money.

• Like 2

If it makes you guys feel any better they took the beaver off our penny and replaced it with no penny

I have been meaning to find out, since it's been predicted and/or said, they want to get rid of our penny. ( then again, I wonder how long it will take, since we're still in miles and inches )

How is that going for you guys, and did it help?

• Like 1

Of course, I'm also thinking this is a ploy to make us spend out money faster....

I mean Harriet Tubman is a courageous, inspiring, strong woman, but she's not much of a looker.....I'll want to break that 20 a lot faster than before!

(not that Andrew Jackson was much better to gaze upon)

• Like 4

Has U.S. currency become like U.S. postal stamps?

Why? Political "correctness"?

Blah...

Why not just have currency with NO faces at all... Problem solved.

• Like 1

As a local Marylander, I think she deserves it. I'm honestly against the change of the $20. Why the change?

• Like 1

Has U.S. currency become like U.S. postal stamps?

Why? Political "correctness"?

Blah...

Why not just have currency with NO faces at all... Problem solved.

As long as the money holds it's value, it may be interesting to change them around.

It made quarters far more interesting when they started putting the states on the back.

• Like 2

Wow, they are going to put a singer (Marian Anderson) on the $5 bill. I'm against that.

Its kinda funny watching people's reactions to this.

• Like 1

HTubmanRifle.gif

A pro-gun Republican? I see no problem with this.

• Like 2

Well I have an idea for the new $ 100. 00 bill !

post-9259-0-87226100-1461264288_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Why so?

It just doesn't feel right. I'd be against Freddy Mercury, Neil Young or Michael Jackson too.

I also wouldn't be in favor of sports stars.

• Like 3

http://money.cnn.com...bman/index.html

There is always going to be those who are not happy about change. The only thing I do not understand is the title given to this. She is not the only woman so why single her out? and she is not the only black woman being placed on a bill either....so it can not be that.

I think the issue with some will be the woman bit....personally, I think its a great idea. :w00t:

But this is pretty sexist:

Some argued that a woman shouldn't have to share her bill with a man.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/20/news/10-bill-hamilton-20-tubman/index.html