Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Robotic 'mermaid' retrieves deep sea treasure

UM-Bot

Scientists have been using a diving robot to recover valuables from a famous 17th century shipwreck.

Known as OceanOne, the remarkable robot can be operated remotely using a sophisticated array of instruments and control mechanisms including cameras, haptic force feedback and two robotic arms that can enable an operator to move and manipulate objects on the sea floor with great precision.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ep-sea-treasure

• Like 1

So exciting! Love this. :)

Good work. I can see the point of the stereo vision and the two arms. One problem is that there are many places that the robot can snag on a wrecked ship or even a lump of coral. Time for an extensive redesign of the body I think, and to do a bit of streamlining while they are at it.

Good work. I can see the point of the stereo vision and the two arms. One problem is that there are many places that the robot can snag on a wrecked ship or even a lump of coral. Time for an extensive redesign of the body I think, and to do a bit of streamlining while they are at it.

In teh linked full article they tel the story that on its first "real dive" it did get stuck but was able to use its arms to do a push-up type of escape, something a normal undersea remotely controlled vehicle couldn't do.