Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do you like or hate the word MOIST?

seeder

Ive never really given it a thought tbh, but apparently there are debates about it...

Researcher thinks he's figured out why so many people hate the word 'moist'

There are few words in the English language that gross people out more than 'moist'. Moist. Moisture. Moistness. For the vast majority of the population, it's a veritable haiku of cringe.

But what it is it about that word specifically that's so repulsive? Damp isn't so bad, neither is wet. A lot have people have speculated in the past, but now a researcher has finally conducted a preliminary investigation into 'moist aversion', and thinks he might have come up with some important, science-backed insights.

http://www.scienceal...-the-word-moist

Edited by Saru
Trimmed for length
  • Like 1

I prefer soggy.

• Like 1

Anyway, why is moist unpleasant? There's a lot of nice most things. Moisturizer, a nice moist lemon drizzle cake, some of my favourite things are moist.

• Like 1

squishy - the word always reminds me of someone squeezing a squid. A rather unpleasant word - squishy.

Now I probably cant get the word out of my head for a while....

some of my favourite things are moist.

Must... make... witty remark...... MUST... RESIST......

• Like 3

Anyway, why is moist unpleasant? There's a lot of nice most things. Moisturizer, a nice moist lemon drizzle cake, some of my favourite things are moist.

One pack of moist boxer shorts on the way

:lol:

• Like 1

I like the word...not sure why some people don't. It's kinda like people hating the word bicycle or something, makes no sense

• Like 2

I like the word...not sure why some people don't. It's kinda like people hating the word bicycle or something, makes no sense

Exactly, as said in the OP, I dont see what the issue is really... plus I can hardly remember ever saying it....

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

Mind you Im male and the OP did say

Those most likely to be disgusted by it? "[T]he prototypical moist-averse person is a young, neurotic, female who is well-educated and somewhat disgusted by bodily function," Thibodeau writes in the journal PLOS ONE.

Good to see academics not at all clinging to the old stereotypes of young, neurotic females who shriek and jump on a chair the moment they hear the word 'moist', isn't it.

Good to see academics not at all clinging to the old stereotypes of young, neurotic females who shriek and jump on a chair the moment they hear the word 'moist', isn't it.

Its good that they ASKED for opinions first too

After asking more than 2,400 participants to rate their feelings about the word

yes, and having done so, they then came up with some silly stereotype about neurotic females. That sound you can hear is the cause of feminism being put back forty years.

. That sound you can hear is the cause of feminism being put back forty years.

ah, so you are against women being able to NOT like certain words then?

That's similar to sensitive men hating the word hard.

• Like 2

ah, so you are against women being able to NOT like certain words then?

Are you just trying to be argumentative, or are you just being silly because it's fun?

Are you just trying to be argumentative, or are you just being silly because it's fun?

simply asking a question...

Exactly, as said in the OP, I dont see what the issue is really... plus I can hardly remember ever saying it....

I can not see the issue in it. I would like to know which group of peole he did the research on.

I can see a few words missing so this is a really flawed test.....and the word moist does not even score as that bad.

I would like to know if they actually said moist or did he have it on a list?

TBO, I have never heard anyone say they did not like the word moist....other words yes, but moist? nah, I reckon this guy is a c.....ah!....cheat. :whistle:

another "researcher" with too much time on his hands me thinks.

• Like 1

Just had a though, I do not like the word gusset? didn`t see that on his list!

• Like 1

I am not very fond of the word Flaccid... But the word Perky has a nice ring to it, I like to think.

• Like 1

I've never thought about it before, but now that you mention it I do find myself not liking the word. It's like it's too good to be dry or wet and thinks it's better than us.

• Like 1

The most "girly" word in the English language most be ; serendipity

I don't know....it just sounds.....

Another weird word is: discombobulate

Now, there's something that just not rolles of your tongue - you have to work with it.

• Like 2