Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are aliens living just 40 light-years away?

Are aliens living just 40 light-years away? Astronomers 'hit the jackpot' by finding THREE Earth-sized habitable worlds bathed in 'eerie red light' around a nearby star

Astronomers have spotted three Earth-sized planets orbiting a dwarf star

The miniature planetary system is just 40 light-years away from Earth

At least one of these worlds may be not too hot, not too cold, but 'just right'

Scientists said they may have 'hit the jackpot' in the search for life

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3566047/Are-aliens-living-just-40-light-years-away-Astronomers-hit-jackpot-finding-THREE-Earth-sized-habitable-worlds-nearby-star.html#ixzz47WxdteYL

• Like 2

is just 40 light-years away from Earth

just 40 light years?....great, lets just pop over for a cup of tea.

• Like 7

And that will ALWAYS be the issue with space travel....and the search for life...

• Like 5

And that will ALWAYS be the issue with space travel....and the search for life...

what.......tea? smiley69.gif

• Like 3

Yikes! No. Time travel is a thing. Its not a matter of 'if', it's a matter of 'when'.

• Like 1

I don't think travelling fast and fast will help us reach these world. We need to be able to jump from point A to point B in seconds. Just be careful with that technology because where we're going we won't need eyes to see.

I don't think travelling fast and fast will help us reach these world.

so far its all we have thats actually real and possible.... I doubt humans would fly such a distance, most likely a probe...

• Like 2

so far its all we have thats actually real and possible.... I doubt humans would fly such a distance, most likely a probe...

The way the Chinese are building those human looking robots, in years to come I can see them sending one of those out there.

I can not see how humans could physically endure such journey, no amount of training could prepare us for the effects on the body a journey like that would have.

Here is why we can not get there ourselves:

Because our muscles are constantly working against gravity on Earth, those muscles have a lot less work to do in space. In other words, they'll start to atrophy. That includes our heart (which shrinks a little), the muscles in our neck that hold up our heads, and our calves

http://gizmodo.com/how-long-humans-can-live-in-space-and-what-happens-if-w-1632091719

• Like 1

The solution to interstellar travel is not going the speed of or faster than light. As said above, it's about bending time and space.

And Cake.........

• Like 2

The solution to interstellar travel is not going the speed of or faster than light. As said above, it's about bending time and space.

and how...can we currently do that? And how, do we get back?

• Like 1

One MIGHT assume we have or are working on the technology, if you believe like many we had accessed a crashed alien saucer ala Roswell. Gravity is one theory far as bending space.. Personally I think it's possible UFOs are more interdimensial than space though

One MIGHT assume we have or are working on the technology, if you believe like many we had accessed a crashed alien saucer ala Roswell. Gravity is one theory far as bending space.. Personally I think it's possible UFOs are more interdimensial than space though

Roswell...maybe we can bend time and space and float to another area of the universe in a weather balloon.

Einstein may have been theoretically right on bending time/space....but can we ever actually do it? And then get back?

I'll aske the first person who does it! ;)

OK what if someone designed a time machine and it works something like this: let's say, for the sake of this discussion, that there was a craft that could reach the moon in half a second. That's pretty badass. Now, speed that up millions of times over until said craft reaches the moon the very same moment it leaves Earth. Now, speed it up way the hell more and planck time is in a tizzy. Speed that sucker up so much that it reaches the moon BEFORE it leaves Earth. Hypothetical scenario but is this the underlying concept of time travel? Just curious. Thrashing light speed sounds dangerous. Isn't there a risk of someone going a milisecond back in time to the point where they first go back in time, perpetuating an endless, agonising warp of time and space they'll forever be teathered into? Educate me, I beg of thee. xD

They were teaching in schools in the mid 20th century that man going to the moon was impossible also.

They were teaching in schools in the mid 20th century that man going to the moon was impossible also.

But machines dont need the added weight of food and water.... plus no-one cares if they dont make it back...

But machines dont need the added weight of food and water.... plus no-one cares if they dont make it back...

We don't have the technology now to traverse space with humans but we advance everyday and maybe will find some technique

to travel vast distances. Look at the short time we went from riding horses to the space shuttle.

• Like 1

you can technically ride on a laser beam ... if you can get that energy

Okay, so let's say that spacewarping is the key to high-speed interstellar travel. It doesn't have to be necessarily FTL, just survivable by one generation. How much mass would you need to sink into one spot to bring Point A close enough to Point B, assuming that A and B are 40 light years apart? Reduce the distance by half, you still need to travel at light speed for 20 years. Reduce it down to 10 light years, and you could do it in a generation traveling at just half the speed of light. Maybe if the Large Hadron Collider ever does get around to geerating a black hole, we could use that to warp space enough. But then there comes the matter of getting the black hole into the right place.

Or is that not how warping space works, and I'm on totally the wrong track?

We don't have the technology now to traverse space with humans but we advance everyday and maybe will find some technique

to travel vast distances. Look at the short time we went from riding horses to the space shuttle.

the shuttle didnt go far... its just 250 miles to get to the space station

I drive further going to the beach.......or I fly further going abroad for summer..

• Like 1

Okay, so let's say that spacewarping is the key to high-speed interstellar travel. It doesn't have to be necessarily FTL, just survivable by one generation. How much mass would you need to sink into one spot to bring Point A close enough to Point B, assuming that A and B are 40 light years apart? Reduce the distance by half, you still need to travel at light speed for 20 years. Reduce it down to 10 light years, and you could do it in a generation traveling at just half the speed of light. Maybe if the Large Hadron Collider ever does get around to geerating a black hole, we could use that to warp space enough. But then there comes the matter of getting the black hole into the right place.

Or is that not how warping space works, and I'm on totally the wrong track?

I am sorry but i must report that between point A and B there's an infinity of other segments. You can never reach to a point B in outter space or on Earth. In order to go to a point B you'll need to complete half distance, in order to complete the half you'll have to complete another smaller half and so on so forth halves of halves up to an infinity. Space is just an illusion my friend.

Edited by qxcontinuum

I am sorry but i must report that between point A and B there's an infinity of other segments. You can never reach to a point B in outter space or on Earth. In order to go to a point B you'll need to complete half distance, in order to complete the half you'll have to complete another smaller half and so on so forth halves of halves up to an infinity. Space is just an illusion my friend.

Achilles raced the tortoise. Unfortunately, simply throwing anything disproves this nice little thought experiment. If distance was measured only by an infinite succession of half-distances, then we wouldn't have any sports, since a thrown ball would never reach its target if they're moving in the same direction. A hit tennis ball would never reach the net, let alone pass over it. Any act of motion says that space is very much a reality.

• Like 1

thanks for nicely sum it up. Sometimes i wish i was born in an English speaking country, not in an alien slum.